Firearms Forum!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Firearms Forum!

Post by Jflem1983 »

oldtrucker wrote:Firearms forum...all things guns!
What is your favourite gun?
Do you like or dislike a gun registry?
When you shoot, do you like shooting .22's at proper paper targets, or drifting rocks at 200ft with your .08?

I'll start. My granny had a 3 barrel 10 gauge. The last time I saw it ,I was about 11 years old, so I have no detailed memory of it. The only info that I remember is when someone way older than me (and probably dead 40 years ago) would bring up the subject, and reminisce about the old 3 barrel.
Does anyone know or even heard of anything like a 3 barrel 10 gauge?

3 barrel guns are called drillings. Mostly german. It would likely have been a 10 gauge with either 2 barrels as shotgun. Probably one with an open choke and one with a modified choke. As well as the top or bottom barrel would be rifled and sized to fit a 30.06 or some other rifle round. An american gun similar but different is a savage 24. I have had one. They sell fast for good money
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Granny with a 10ga! Never fired one but I bet they kick like a mule!

Picked up a Ruger M77 chambered in .308 last week with a 30mm 3x9 scope. Need to bring it to the range and sight it in.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Never heard of a Drilling but seems like a brilliant design. Surprised they're not more common.

courtesy-krieghoff.co_.uk_.jpg

Way to go granny! :up:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Poindexter wrote:Never heard of a Drilling but seems like a brilliant design. Surprised they're not more common.

courtesy-krieghoff.co_.uk_.jpg

Way to go granny! :up:

Takes incredible skill to make them. Prices for a nice one start at 10k
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

TylerM4 wrote: a 10ga! Never fired one but I bet they kick like a mule!

An old friend of mine had a two shot, semi auto 10 ga. self modified into a pistol
for his under the pillow gun out on his North Sask. trap line.
He was the only person who dared fire it one handed !

If the target was point blank it would get burned by the flames as well as obliterated via slug.
(the flames would shoot close to two feet out the barrel) hehehe !

It was fun to blast stuff with till the wrists screamed. [icon_lol2.gif]

Add...cool looking drills..
My over under 12ga. I have the option of firing either as I choose or both.
My 222/20ga over under fires one or the other. It won't fire both at once.

I suspect a drill is one barrel at a time also.
Sure would be a hoot to blast all three at once though ! :smt045
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I totally agree with a gun registry, but not long guns. I have no problem with very strict background checks..currently have
S&W MP 9mm
AR15
AR10
Ruger SR22
Sig P220 Elite Platinum .45
Glock 22 Gen 4 40SW
Glock .22 (cheap range gun)
CZ 75 SP01 Canadian edition
Beretta M9 U.S. Armed Forces limited edition 9mm
Few other 12G, 410, and 22 long guns.

Sig and CZ are the nicest shooting. :130:
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

oldtrucker wrote:German?...That's very possible. Also possible it was super old . Gramps was at Vimy and a few other places during WW1,and he came back with some very cool stuff. The 3 barrel ,if I remember, had Damascus/ spiral construction.
Ya...my wrists hurt just thinking about pulling the trigger on that. Granny/Gramps were pioneers, so having something like that way back then was probably not that rare.

I'm old but not ancient.With all the bs school shootings going on, I can't help thinking back to my school that I went to.We had a gun rack at school. Very small hamlet in bumsville Sask. We would bring our rifles to school because we would go shooting after school,and most of my friends lived on farms-so we would take the school bus to wherever. That's right ...think nothing of bringing a .270 with enough ammo for a total redneck rampage after school. My god...what has happened to our country? Our society? Can you imagine showing up with a rifle on a school bus or walking into school these days with one?

They have been increasingly rare. I would say your ww1 guess is probably a good one. After ww2 i dont think many companies made combo guns of any kind . I know the Savage 24 and 42. Other than that its ultra high end match grade double rifles from england. Or the german drillings that are incredibly rare. Too bad you dont have the old gun trucker

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

oldtrucker wrote:I used to have a Marlin 30-30 lever carbine. (336 model ?). Loved it and wish I never got rid of it. I would like to find the same,
or as close to that style(lever and pistol grip) and size (short) except in a .308. Any suggestions?

Gonna be tough in a 308.

I know Marlin makes the 1895 in a 45 70. Lots of people like that gun.

I own a winchester model 88 in 308.

The only other 308 levers i know of are savage 99s

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

308 is a spitzer type bullet. A pointy tip.

Lever action rifles with tubular magazines are made to fire round nosed older style ammo. Such as 30 30. 45 70. 45 90. 32 special etc.

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Jflem1983 wrote:The only other 308 levers i know of are savage 99s

My son has one. Very smooth action. He shoots factory ammo and seems happy to 100-150 yards. Uses a clip mag so pointy bullets can be used
I recently purchased a Remington 700P in 308. 6 X 20 Vortex scope( haven't shot it yet, too much snow at the moment) Bought the dies( .308) for reloading so I can help with my sons accuracy. He's looking for a hunting rifle that shoots flat. 7mm mag? Big kid and could handle a 300 win mag as well. I tell him he'll have a sore shoulder after a box or two of shells if he wants to shoot target. Game is deer for the most part. Might try moose later.
Funny I saw this thread, Popped into a store today and asked about the Savage A17.( $50.00 more than Vancouver's prices) I like to have another rifle when I want the barrel of the 308 to cool.
Other rifle is a Remington BDL 06 that has been on the good end of many deer and moose. Also a Remington 870 but it has been chopped ,folded and extended for when I was working in the bush.
Considering joining Penticton Shooting sports.
Have to do something in retirement other than work around the house, sail, ride road and street bikes, swim, triathlons, X-country ski...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Remembered seeing this article in print last month. Had to search it out. Here is your 308 lever available now.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ng-ranger/

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

There are also Browning BLR available in 308. Sorry forgot about them. Im sure someone was already thinking that.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not as many firearms at the Sportsman Show that I expected but there was at least one display.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Penticton curling rink next weekend, 20th anniversary antiques and gun show.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

seewood wrote:Penticton curling rink next weekend, 20th anniversary antiques and gun show.

Best gun show in the Okanagan

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”