AAF

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
ferri
Forum Administrator

AAF

Post by ferri »

Have any of you been watching Alliance of American Football? Wow! I've watched 4 games now and I have to say they're on to something. Slightly different rules and none of the time consuming garbage that happens in the NFL. The games last about 2 and half hours.

2019 AAF schedule and scores: Times, dates, TV channel, streaming, every game for the entire season
https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/2019 ... re-season/

Rule differences between NFL and new Alliance of American Football
https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2019/ ... s2headline
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: AAF

Post by ferri »

I guess I'm the only cool kid. :biggrin:

aaf.jpg
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Siiiiiiigh*

Hey ferri! What's so different about the AAF?

I'm so glad you asked! After watching 8 games this is what I know so far:

There is no kick off. The "receiving" team starts at the 25 yd. line.

After a touchdown there is not a point after kick, they go for a 2 pt. conversion.

Players are paid "100's of thousands of dollars, not millions."

Players are given bonuses for different things. For instance if a player makes an interception the entire team gets a bonus. They also get bonuses for doing community work.

They sign a 2 year contract with the AAF but it is very easy for them to get out of it if the NFL calls them.

There are few if any commercials during the game. So it goes fast. Unless you need the bathroom. :D

That's all I can think of right now. I'll think of more. I know it's a lot of fun to watch and it's amazing how fast the game goes without all the messing around getting kickers on the field and the half hour of commercials between possessions.
― Albert Einstein
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Hey Ferri,

How many innings are there? Oops, I mean periods? :biggrin: :130: [icon_lol2.gif]
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

hahaha! Just like in the NFL there are 4 quarters, 15 minutes long. And the refs don't throw the flags like they do in the NFL either. They let them play football. :D
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm not a big football fan but I set my PVR to check it out and see what is getting ferri all hot and bothered.

(Must be some nice tight ends) :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Actually I commented on Sunday about the lack of arm muscles. They all look flabby compared to the NFL. hahaha

AND I just thought of something else different they do. They have a "Sky Ref". He sits fairly high in the stands in a glass booth (Kind of like the owners box) and watches the game. If there is a challenge flag thrown it is the Sky Ref that watches the replay and decides if the call stands or is over ruled. This takes less than a minute. In the NFL it takes FOREVER!

Edited to add:

Also, each stadium has a medical crew so teams don't bring their own. There is one crew that takes care of all injuries.
― Albert Einstein
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If memory serves me a billionaire tried to set up league many years ago, by the way how did that turn out.
I suspect it good he didn't give up his evening job. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

That was Arena Football I think? And apparently that will be coming back next year with some modifications. lol

This is fun to watch because the players are trying for a shot at the NFL so they really play their hearts out. :D There have been a few players that I'm sure if they keep going the way are now they will be called up by someone.
― Albert Einstein
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ferri wrote:That was Arena Football I think? And apparently that will be coming back next year with some modifications. lol

This is fun to watch because the players are trying for a shot at the NFL so they really play their hearts out. :D There have been a few players that I'm sure if they keep going the way are now they will be called up by someone.

Nope, the billionaire I was thinking of is the owner of wwe and joke league was the xfl.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Okay, I remember that too. I think that was the fairly sleazy one?

This one is just football. No rah rah girls or any of that garbage either. The women you see there are either refs or coaches. :D
― Albert Einstein
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

As far as I'm concerned any football is better than no football.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:As far as I'm concerned any football is better than no football.

I was sceptical about this league, even though I enjoy college football I thought this might be worse than that. haha It's actually very good football. Some of the guys have been in the NFL and for different reason (like playing for teams that sucked) were let go and are now trying to get back in. You can bet the scouts are watching. I'm going to be amazed if a few of the players aren't grabbed by the NFL. There is a running back named Ja-Quan Gardner with the San Diego Fleet that would make a wonderful Seahawk. He reminds me a little of Marshawn Lynch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/alliance-of-a ... TD-of-game
― Albert Einstein
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

When and where are these games televised?

Which stadiums are they playing in?

What kind of crowds do they draw?

How many teams are there?

Are the majority of the rules the same as the NFL?

Yes, I know I could look this stuff up but you seem pumped about it so I thought Id ask you instead. :130:
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

There are 2 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday. There are several networks showing the games, NFLN, TNT, CBSS, BR/Live. The game on TNT last Sunday was the first football game on that channel in 20 years.

They are playing at college stadiums.

The crowds are pretty big, unless it's Texas and then they are HUGE. :D

There are 8 teams:

Arizona Hotshots
Orlando Apollos
Birmingham Iron
San Antonio Commanders
Salt Lake Stallions
San Diego Fleet
Atlanta Legends
Memphis Express

The bold ones are my favorite teams. haha

Most of the rules are the same, the major difference is that the time wasting stuff is cut. Like the kickoff, kicking for the extra point, watching the replay after a challenge flag, just little things that take forever and are boring.
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”