Useless railroad crossings - time to update?

Home of the traffic rant.
Cumungala
Übergod

Re: Useless railroad crossings - time to update?

Post by Cumungala »

People cant seem to understand that there is no turning right on a red light allowed at this intersection! I was the first car waiting yesterday turning from Clement to Spall and somebody started to honk at me because I wasn't turning. I couldn't have turned anyways, because there was a constant stream of traffic coming down Spall. Unfortunately everyone will just have to accept this new intersection configuration. It will get better once Clement is pushed through to Highway 33. If there is anything at all positive to Kelowna losing the railway, it is that the extension of Clement will be much easier. The city always had plans anyways for this road to be built with the tracks in place. It would involve moving them slightly south of their current alignment between Spall and Dilworth. This is why the new Rails with Trails was built farther from the tracks compared to the first phase. Now it looks like Kelowna's future bypass will occupy all of this land and less of the base of Dilworth mountain will have to be carved out. They would just need to buy that section of railway line.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

So how is everyone enjoying light-a-palooza?
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

I will start by saying I despise how the COK uses lights to fix any traffic problem, Richter from Bernard to the hwy is a joke. I however thought changing the two lanes on Clement turning left to Spall and making two lanes turning right was a good idea. Having a right lane red light there isn't actually the worst idea. When coming down from Glenmore it has always been very frustrating when many crappy drivers would take the right turn without even stopping to see how close traffic was and swing out wide to try to get in the left lane to turn on Enterprise.
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Wally »

Pookybear wrote:I will start by saying I despise how the COK uses lights to fix any traffic problem, Richter from Bernard to the hwy is a joke. I however thought changing the two lanes on Clement turning left to Spall and making two lanes turning right was a good idea. Having a right lane red light there isn't actually the worst idea. When coming down from Glenmore it has always been very frustrating when many crappy drivers would take the right turn without even stopping to see how close traffic was and swing out wide to try to get in the left lane to turn on Enterprise.

I assumed that is exactly why it was made a no right on red. I always come down spall instead so I can get the left lane for enterprise.
Going today, hear tommorow
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Given the number of intersections crammed into that area I don't know what else the city could have done. However with that being said the lack-of-planning that resulted in the clusterbomb has resulted in the city now bettering/fluffing up the worst intersection design possible.

- Buckminster Fuller
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I use that intersection all the time, morning, afternoon and night. Plus weekends.

It is just fine I find I don't wait that long and everything does flow.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

gman313 wrote:I use that intersection all the time, morning, afternoon and night. Plus weekends.

It is just fine I find I don't wait that long and everything does flow.

I do as well. You either have all the time in the world or are a masochist.

Traffic should not be backed up so that the southbound Spall lanes can not proceed through a green light on Bernard due to traffic clog because of a Red light on Enterprise - at 10:30am on Tuesday. Throw in a bike activating the crosswalk right after a green and you just doubled the lane clearing time processes.

It either takes me 5 minutes to get through that, or 17. I've had to adjust my commute time and add 10 minutes into my travel time due to the light change and related traffic volume variables.

- Buckminster Fuller

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”