Frustrated with senior drivers

Home of the traffic rant.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Frustrated with senior drivers

Post by alfred2 »

everyone has that right that has a drivers permit, bctf executives should not have the right, they are too radical.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

if you are pirvileged to have a permit then you have the right to drive dah.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Atomoa wrote:Why would that be inconvenient and disgraceful?

Many professionals have to be recertified yearly, bi yearly ect.

It would be insulting to suspect a surgeon is not mentally capable to drive to the hospital. That was my point. Age does affect people in various ways, but at 60 you're hardly a geriatric basket case. Just because you are younger does not make you a better driver. The whole system needs a revamp based on a driver's abstract. I for one am tired of subsidizing poor drivers who just don't get it.
I birn quil I se
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I don't care if it's inconvenient, your convinces and "rights" don't give you a blank check to fly around in a 4000 pound murder machine and kill other people. This applies to everybody, not just the elderly, they are not all bad, but statistically speaking they will be the ones with the most issues with sight, reflex, and quick thinking.

Either your fit to drive or your not, pretty simple concept.

I also think we should start standardized testing, every 3-4 years, take the tests again make sure you know the signs can park, merge properly, the whole works. If you can't then get used to walking.

We really need to be a lot harder on this whole system, if you cant take responsibility and understand how truly deadly these machines are then you don't deserve to use them.

Start really throwing the book also at all those idiots who just get their license and fly by me like I'm not moving, its like an "I'm speeding" tag some days.....
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

So a driver that has a 40 year clean abstract should be regularly tested along with a 24 year old that has a long list of infractions in a short period of time? Well, that would certainly create a lot of additional ICBC positions and get people screaming "cash grab". Re-test those that display their inability to drive responsibly and leave the good drivers alone. And again, just because you turn 60 does not mean you are unable to function properly behind the wheel.
I birn quil I se
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

alfred2 wrote:if you are pirvileged to have a permit then you have the right to drive dah.

Absolute rubbish, you may be privileged enough to have earned a drivers permit, but you certainly don't have the right to drive if you're impaired on alcohol or legal or illegal narcotics.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

You like to turn things around,you have a problem?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm good with yearly tests after 60. When my Grandpa was 60 he had to use his arms to lift his leg over to the gas pedal. He kept one foot on the gas and one on the brake. There was no slowing down. It was gas, brake, gas, brake. Bunnyhopping all over the place. It was terrifying and we eventually had to physically remove the vehicle from him so he could no longer drive because he felt he was just fine.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

That's a medical condition and up to the family or his physician to get him off the road or have him limited to driving a vehicle with hand controls. Physical impairment can be an issue at any age.
I birn quil I se
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Randall T wrote:That's a medical condition and up to the family or his physician to get him off the road or have him limited to driving a vehicle with hand controls. Physical impairment can be an issue at any age.

There was no way he was going to the doctor about it. According to him, he was fine. This is the reason we need ICBC to be checking in on the driving capabilities of the elderly. Our family put a stop to it but many families won't or might not even be aware of it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Strange though how the majority of accidents causing deaths and injuries seem to be young males. So why go after the people who aren't the culprits? If there is to be regular testing, go to the group that is wreaking the havoc. It's too easy to pick on the geezer in front of you when you think he/she is going too slow and holding you up. Maybe they are just smarter, more experienced and not in a hurry to kill themselves or someone else.
I birn quil I se
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

alfred2 wrote:All people who has the right to drive should be tested every 5 years. A lot of bad drivers are not seniors, young wimen seem to be the worst, they drive like they are on a race track,while texting.

Agreed 100%, and actual tests, not the joke of a test they have right now. Take the morons of the road and create jobs while reducing injuries and deaths.

Drive within the rules of the road or your gone.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

The problem with that is pretty much anyone can pass a test. It's what they're doing when the adjudicator isn't sitting next to them that's the issue. The only answer is more policing of traffic and tougher penalties, but that doesn't seem to be a priority around these parts.
I birn quil I se
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

This thread could easily be titled "Frustrated with "N" drivers" or "Frustrated with people on their cell phone drivers"

The real problem is there are way too many out there who are not paying attention to the task at hand which is safe driving!

A few minutes extra to get where you are going is not going to kill you but speeding or passing when it's not safe to do so certainly can. (and all the other unsafe driving habits as well)
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”