Lane split for bikers

Home of the traffic rant.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Lane split for bikers

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Always be careful around them noisy land Yachts.
Rather than get upset at the bikes, join them, except you got to me much more aware and alert than in a cage..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Noisy Boater wrote:I have always wanted to open the door or casually lane drift when I see one of these idiots fudging there way through traffic. Stay in line and wait your turn . Why is it you think you are so important that you have to get ahead of me ? Its the me first attitude and you are a jacka$$.

Not that I do it but, just try that once with me or my Buds. You'll soon see what jackass's we can be.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Noisy Boater wrote: Why is it you think you are so important that you have to get ahead of me ? Its the me first attitude and you are a jacka$$.

Read this through a few times !! Lol !

I rest my case.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

kumazatheef wrote:Disclaimer: I'm not a motorcyclist.
I'm curious why 4-wheel drivers seemingly feel so entitled that they should not allow lane-splitting to happen.
Main arguments thus far seem to be increased risk of accidents: rebuttal: should drivers not be doing shoulder checks anyway? So is the fear of hurting a biker, or damaging your own vehicle? Because no one is forcing the motorcycles to lane split, it's up to them: if they feel it's dangerous, they won't do it. If you feel it's potential for accident then do your due diligence and shoulder check ... because same rule applies to changing lanes where a 4-wheeler is ... point being: always be aware of the vehicles around you.
So what else does that leave as a counter-point for lane-splitting? Is it jealousy that someone is getting in front of you in line? Because if someone is in front of you and they leave the line then that means you can move up further so it's actually an advantage.
What else .... is it just a deep disgruntle-ness for "those loud bikes"? That's an emotional argument not a rational one. Emotional knee-jerk reactions shouldn't be involved when operating a 4-wheel chunk of dangerous metal anyway.
Hmmm ... how about the sudden "scare" of a bike weaving in and out of traffic ... same rule applies to loud 4 wheels as well, and again: be aware of who's around you.

Provided that there's caveats for the speed in which lane-splitting is allowed (ex: overall speed as well as differential speed), and the lane is wide enough, then I'm all for it .... but then again, I've lived in other parts of the world where people would be confused why to not allow it.

So curious: what rational counter-points exist to not allow lane splitting?

How often do you expect someone to shoulder check to look for lane splitters when they're cruising down the highway? Especially in clear traffic ? It's not gonna happen. I check my mirrors regularly but only shoulder check when I turn or change lanes. I've had motorcycles rip past me so fast I didn't even have time to react, much less see them coming.

I'm not too worried about the mature, seasoned rider but a testosterone-soaked 18 year old lane spitter on a crotch rocket scares the bejeezus out a me. A bad idea.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Some folks folks scan the rearview pretty well every minute....make it easier to change lanes, and see if the rollers are creeping up on you...... Maybe you dont check regular enough..?
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Noisy Boater wrote:I have always wanted to open the door or casually lane drift when I see one of these idiots fudging there way through traffic. Stay in line and wait your turn . Why is it you think you are so important that you have to get ahead of me ? Its the me first attitude and you are a jacka$$.

You've always wanted to commit assault with a deadly weapon? Nice attitude.

For a rider it's important to not get creamed into the vehicle in front of them while stopped for a light. For some riders it's important to maintain some airflow through their protective gear and not cook in 40 degree heat while stopped in a traffic jam.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Anyone that believes in Darwinism will embrace lane splitting.
Black Dogs Matter
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Dont go to California... you just wont understand it....
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

Verminator wrote:
How often do you expect someone to shoulder check to look for lane splitters when they're cruising down the highway? Especially in clear traffic ? It's not gonna happen. I check my mirrors regularly but only shoulder check when I turn or change lanes. .

I think you answered your own question. Stay in your lane, shoulder/mirror check before turning and changing lanes. That's how it works. Lane splitting has no part in some guy passing you 100k faster than what you're driving.

There is some good thoughts on this thread, both for and against lane splitting. There's also a couple of angry people that may need serious help. :smt045

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”