Crosswalks

Home of the traffic rant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Crosswalks

Post by Fancy »

The onus is also on the driver to take precaution when there are pedestrians around.

Duty of driver
181 Despite sections 178, 179 and 180, a driver of a vehicle must

(a) exercise due care to avoid colliding with a pedestrian who is on the highway,
(b) give warning by sounding the horn of the vehicle when necessary, and
(c) observe proper precaution on observing a child or apparently confused or incapacitated person on the highway.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The pedestrian can also be "dead right".
Waste not
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Grandan wrote:The pedestrian can also be "dead right".

The ones who arrive at a signaled crosswalk, push the button then start crossing without looking to see if traffic is stopping!

We can't stop in 2 meters!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
spooker

Post by spooker »

Grandan wrote:The pedestrian can also be "dead right".

That argument gets thrown at me a lot, same for cycling rights ... the only thing that says is that you're willing to kill someone for the sake of not paying attention ...

Bsuds wrote:The ones who arrive at a signaled crosswalk, push the button then start crossing without looking to see if traffic is stopping!

We can't stop in 2 meters!

You're going to extremes here ... you can't trot out an idiot example in one mode without acknowledging that there are idiots everywhere ... but because of the splits between driving, cycling, and walking, most of the idiots are in cars ... the majority of injuries that occur due to collisions are caused by people in cars ...

No one in their right mind with a bit of thought would think that scenario is a good and valid choice of action ... I thought this thread was about trying to lessen the grey areas that too many people aren't clear about ... looking at how to interpret the laws and case studies to actually help us learn how to operate safely on the roads and crosswalks
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not my intent, there are plenty of drivers and pedestrians who need a good slap on the back of their heads.
I'm sure we all have plenty of stories of what we have seen and even done ourselves in a moment of lack of attention.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

LTD wrote:its you who clearly doesn't know I suggest you read that again mainly the part where it says the pedestrian is on the highway as in already crossing as a pedestrian at an uncontrolled crosswalk you are required to cross when safe to do so traffic is not required to stop for you unless of course youre already on the road read it again its not rocket science people like you are the problem and cause accidents by not understanding the rules of the road

Not quite sure where you think a vehicle doesn't have to yield to a pedestrian. To be IN a crosswalk, a pedestrian obviously should be standing in the crosswalk. Not in the path of a vehicle just in the crosswalk.

Is the part about being on the side of the roadway that the pedestrian is crossing confusing you ?

Sadly you don't get it. "people like you are the problem and cause accidents by not understanding the rules of the road", really ?

I fail to see which part of the MVA that I quoted word for word, would, by obeying it, cause an accident (collision).
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
spooker

Post by spooker »

Bsuds wrote:Not my intent, there are plenty of drivers and pedestrians who need a good slap on the back of their heads.
I'm sure we all have plenty of stories of what we have seen and even done ourselves in a moment of lack of attention.

Agreed ... Every time I take a right turn from Lawrence onto Gordon I remember the dark morning years ago where I missed the pedestrian who slapped my car I was so close to him as I turned ... that was over 5 years ago ... I'm just glad that my bonehead choices haven't resulted in serious harm to anyone ... and I know that I did the same thing so many people do, look briefly right to scan for peds, then stare left looking for cars ... I just wish there was a way to learn better habits before having to have the [bleep] scared out of me to learn the same lesson ...
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Not my intent, there are plenty of drivers and pedestrians who need a good slap on the back of their heads.

Agreed ... Every time I take a right turn from Lawrence onto Gordon I remember the dark morning years ago where I missed the pedestrian who slapped my car I was so close to him as I turned ... that was over 5 years ago ... I'm just glad that my bonehead choices haven't resulted in serious harm to anyone ... and I know that I did the same thing so many people do, look briefly right to scan for peds, then stare left looking for cars ... I just wish there was a way to learn better habits before having to have the [bleep] scared out of me to learn the same lesson ...

Your last obsetvation is a shoulder check to the right before the wheels move, then you know you're good to go.

Anything else is a fail. Exposure to the potential of causing mayhem.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

DarkMagna wrote:Not just marked crosswalks. Technically, every end of a city block is a crosswalk whether marked or not.

Technically, what?

This is BC LAW.

"crosswalk" means

(a) a portion of the roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs or by lines or other markings on the surface, or

(b) the portion of a highway at an intersection that is included within the connection of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on the opposite sides of the highway, or within the extension of the lateral lines of the sidewalk on one side of the highway, measured from the curbs, or in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the roadway;
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

As traffic is very heavy at this time I pay extra attention to my driving.

Monday morning at about 8:45 am I was traveling south on Glenmore Road. As I neared Yates Road I was going to make a left hand turn to proceed east. I observed a adult male and a young child standing on the south curb. I also observed a young male about 12 years of age riding his bicycle on the sidewalk. He was wearing a lime green helmet and was pedaling very quickly.
As I was making my turn the youth continued to ride in front of my 3/4 ton pickup.

I looked to my left and noted the stop hand functioning for pedestrians which the youth raced through.

Two thing cross my mind, if I was traveling north and turning right onto Yates would the youth have stopped and or would I have observed his actions as my attention would have been on the pedestrians.

Secondly, what are parents teaching their children? I was raised firstly not to ride my bike on a sidewalk and most importantly WALK your bike across a crosswalk.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”