We slowed them down!

Home of the traffic rant.
roar

We slowed them down!

Post by roar »

Well going through Winfield, me and a fellow driver got into one lane a piece at the start of the 70 k zone coming from the north, and we stayed side by side all the way up to the Shell service station where i had to turn left, we really hope we did not make anyone mad for doing this :12077: , but folks the speed limit is 70k's then down to 50k's, and if you did get mad, to bad. :smt023 :124:
ex logger

Post by ex logger »

Ever have a *minor* emergency ?
Phone call deadline, your child waiting to be picked up, bad case of the runs, etc, etc !!!!!
It's my choice if I need to break the law regarding a speed zone, for whatever my reason is....and I will pay the consequences of being caught.
I'm not talking drag racing or excessive double the limit speeding here.
(EXCEPT a school or construction zone...which is not what we're talking about here).

Your as bad as those wingnuts that merge at the top of the bridge lane comming in from Westbank, and then proceed to swerve out to prevent people from merging at the bottom....WHERE THE MERGING SHOULD BE TAKING PLACE....in an orderly and curtious fashion.

You got a badge ?? If not....you ain't doing a good thing !

Rant over.....and out .
Model citizen, zero discipline.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

ex logger wrote:....and I will pay the consequences of being caught.

What if you are involved in an accident while speeding? Who pays the consequences then?
BriTer
Guru

Re: We slowed them down

Post by BriTer »

roar wrote:Well going through Winfield, me and a fellow driver got into one lane a piece at the start of the 70 k zone coming from the north, and we stayed side by side all the way up to the Shell service station where i had to turn left, we really hope we did not make anyone mad for doing this :12077: , but folks the speed limit is 70k's then down to 50k's, and if you did get mad, to bad. :smt023 :124:

EDITED: Holding up traffic like that is at the very least irresponsible. Can't find a ruling that it is against the law however.
Last edited by BriTer on Nov 26th, 2007, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
ex logger

Post by ex logger »

OffRoad wrote:

What if you are involved in an accident while speeding? Who pays the consequences then?

Like I said....I'm not talking stupid excessive speeding here, or in school or construction zones. Your holding up traffic on a major throughfare where EVERYBODY, including you at some time I'm sure, fluctuates 5 to 20kph over the limit. In Vancouver, if you dog it in the fast lane, you get ticketed....effective now.
If someone is driving like an a##hole, by all means write down the plate number and report it. I would.
I just don't think that the average Joe should feel the need to be acting like a throttle guvenor on the highway. That is what causes accidents too.

OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

BriTer wrote:
roar wrote:Well going through Winfield, me and a fellow driver got into one lane a piece at the start of the 70 k zone coming from the north, and we stayed side by side all the way up to the Shell service station where i had to turn left, we really hope we did not make anyone mad for doing this :12077: , but folks the speed limit is 70k's then down to 50k's, and if you did get mad, to bad. :smt023 :124:

Holding up traffic like that is a traffic violation regardless of the posted limit, regardless how fast you are going.
Too bad you two aren't better drivers.

I was looking for this violation and couldn't find anything that fit. Can you quote the section of the Motor Vehicle Act that applies?

The closest I found was Section 145:
"A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law."

But I don't consider speeding against a highway sign to be "normal and reasonable movement of traffic" and the OP would have been "in compliance with law".
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

By doing this you are impeding traffic which is a motor vehicle offence. Keep right unless passing when you are on a highway. Maybe go over the motor vehicle book if you do not know the rules of the road. Your not a cop so you have no business trying to teach others how to drive when you clearly don't know the rules yourself. What you did was very inconsiderate no matter why you were doing it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Roar, not impressed. Having 30 cheezed off drivers congested on the roadways is far worse than having 40% of them going over the speed limit. Guess what they're going to do the moment you get off the road... They're going to nail it and not only speed, but be angry and speeding.

BriTer wrote:Holding up traffic like that is a traffic violation regardless of the posted limit, regardless how fast you are going...

Do you have a link to the section of the act where this is covered? If I were in the slow lane doing the posted speed limit, and some brainchild decided to tandem in the fast lane with the intent of holding up traffic, I'd be pretty cheesed at having to be forced to speed and let people past. Why should I risk a ticket? Chances are too, that if some nimrod were pulling a stunt like that, even if I were to speed up in the slow lane, he/she would be ballsy enough to keep blocking other motorists anyway.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

ex logger wrote:
OffRoad wrote:

Like I said....I'm not talking stupid excessive speeding here, or in school or construction zones. Your holding up traffic on a major throughfare where EVERYBODY, including you at some time I'm sure, fluctuates 5 to 20kph over the limit. In Vancouver, if you dog it in the fast lane, you get ticketed....effective now.
If someone is driving like an a##hole, by all means write down the plate number and report it. I would.
I just don't think that the average Joe should feel the need to be acting like a throttle guvenor on the highway. That is what causes accidents too.

10 km/h could mean the difference between someones child having a bad concussion or permanent brain damage.
ex logger

Post by ex logger »

Well I guess we are going to split hairs here by the looks of things.

You've never gone 10 k over the limit on a major traffic artery before ?

Like I said...who the hell, as an average citizen, has the right or authority, to dictate the flow/speed of traffic on a highway/rural road, and remain in the confines of the law(that we all have to abide by).

I can think of only one group in our society that disrupts traffic flow illegaly off hand.( I'm not going there)
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

IMO this is simply rude,careless, and unsafe.
"If you won't slow down I will make you".
The end result is usually not a good one.
I do not believe that one should be reponsible for making other peoples decisions for them.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

When did people decide that they were the "Judge & Jury?" Holy, people that pull this kinda crap scare me.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Nov 26th, 2007, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Triple 6 wrote:When did people dcide that they were the "Judge & Jury?" Holy, people that pull this kinda crap scare me.

Don't worry, they are professional drivers.
Last edited by BriTer on Nov 26th, 2007, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
banani
Fledgling

Post by banani »

I bet you had people tailgating you the whole time you were doing that as well. And, like someone already said - you probably *bleep* off a whole whack of drivers! Good stuff.

Why people feel the need to do these kinds of things baffle me! It's stay right except to pass. But, no - you get people in the left lane going 15 km/h slower than the right lane, or both lanes doing the same speed, or who knows what else. I can't stand it when people do those kinds of things. It makes me wonder how many people who are driving actually know the rules of the road. Baffles me. *shakes head*
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

banani wrote:It's stay right except to pass.
banani wrote:It makes me wonder how many people who are driving actually know the rules of the road. Baffles me. *shakes head*

Do you know all the rules of the road? I think not.

You should know that "Keep right except to pass" only applies where there is a sign stating so. *shakes head*

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”