Calling all massive truck owners...

Home of the traffic rant.
Bluer

Calling all massive truck owners...

Post by Bluer »

I am curious here because...well I just am:

Do you have your massive vehicle because you can, because it makes you feel safe or what?

I see PLENTY of huge vehicles around Kelowna with barely any mud on them, no scratches or signs of practical massive truck use.

Do all of you guys have huge boats and RV's, which need to be hauled in the summer? I am not trying to criticize you on here, I am really just curious.
I know what some of you might be thinking, which is that I am envious...perhaps of the money that you can spend on a vehicle, but not your vehicle choice. I would much rather have a tuned-to-the-tits rally car or something that does not guzzle as much fuel and tell OPEC that North America will continue to pay absurd amounts for fuel.

Once again, I am not really trying to rip on you folks, I just want to know why.
Bluer

Post by Bluer »

No one has replied yet =(
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

:124: :134:

I used to be fascinated with big trucks... and then the phenomenon you observed here in Kelowna took hold. Now, I think they are just litt....

...ohhh nevermind.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Gordian Knot
Übergod

Post by Gordian Knot »

Check out this thread:
http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?t=9947&start=0

It relates to your thread as well. :)
A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.
-- Mary Mason
Bluer

Post by Bluer »

Thank you for the link.

I am really curious on the why's for the big vehicles though.
Remember that CTS's have pretty much the same engines as an Escalade.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

While a rally car would be loads of fun on some of the roads around here (especially this time of year), there are many deactivated Forrest Service Roads that a rally car couldn't explore.

I purchased a truck because my Honda Civic 'rally car' was getting worn out from all the trailer hauling, rough road driving, and places I couldn't quite get to. I went with a smaller truck with slightly larger than stock tires. It's only clean right after I wash it (a day at most) and it's got plenty of scratches and other signs of practical truck use.

I guess I'm not a typical Kelowna truck owner.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I ask myself the same question all the time Bluer, I live near the highway, I can see it from my window, and anytime I look out there's one HUGE truck after another, empty except for the driver, hauling nothing, free of scratches, polished custom wheels, armor all-ed tires. One day I'm going to figure out the ratio of regular passenger vehicles to ridiculously over sized trucks in this town, it seems totally out of whack.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Rx7_Rudy
Fledgling

Post by Rx7_Rudy »

People often think they are alot of large trucks in this town because of the exactly, they are large. Think of any other vehical that is mass produced and look for it as your driving and you will see tons.
Also just because a person have a truck doesn't mean they have to use it as a truck. There are many exotic cars that go over 200mph, and where is there a legal area to do that, or when would you ever need to go that fast?
Its all owners preferance, just like how the thread starter would rather have a ralley car.
kelofornia
Übergod

Re: Calling all massive truck owners...

Post by kelofornia »

Bluer wrote:I am curious here because...well I just am:

Do you have your massive vehicle because you can, because it makes you feel safe or what?

I see PLENTY of huge vehicles around Kelowna with barely any mud on them, no scratches or signs of practical massive truck use.

Do all of you guys have huge boats and RV's, which need to be hauled in the summer? I am not trying to criticize you on here, I am really just curious.
I know what some of you might be thinking, which is that I am envious...perhaps of the money that you can spend on a vehicle, but not your vehicle choice. I would much rather have a tuned-to-the-tits rally car or something that does not guzzle as much fuel and tell OPEC that North America will continue to pay absurd amounts for fuel.

Once again, I am not really trying to rip on you folks, I just want to know why.

Well these vehicle owners have achieved their goal. They just want to be noticed. You have done just that haven't you?
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

kelofornia wrote:
Bluer wrote:I am curious here because...well I just am:

Well these vehicle owners have achieved their goal. They just want to be noticed. You have done just that haven't you?

True, but it must have been interesting to have lived at a time when a person could be noticed for their character rather than something as insignificant as what kind of vehicle they drive.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

What about people who like flashy high end sports cars. Ferraris etc. (personally, I think they are ugly, but many people like them) Is it criminal to like something? Some people like certain things. I really enjoy driving a truck, and I think they can look really great.I can see over everybody, so my vision on the road is greater. Except that my groceries always end up all over the box.&%$^. Right now I drive a minivan. And I love it . So, my next vehicle is also going to be a van. Everyone has preferences.

When people buy houses. Some people, the kitchen is most important to them, Others, the yard or the view, the space for entertaining.
It is all individual choice, and last I checked we still lived in a country that accepted the fact that people were allowed these freedoms.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

OREZ wrote:True, but it must have been interesting to have lived at a time when a person could be noticed for their character rather than something as insignificant as what kind of vehicle they drive.
:smt023

I think some people now a days think they are really something if they have a nice vehicle, a booming stereo, loud mufflers, cell phone, Ipod, chrome wheels, satellite Radio, and can drink while they drive, and then smash the bottles on the road as they reach for another!

They are noticed for their character alright!
The trend is coming back, but not in a good way!
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

We have a big truck in our family, it has a booming stereo and big tires with nice rims ect.
We use it for hauling the snowmobile, the camper, the trailer, firewood, and going to work. It doesnt need to have mud and scratches on it to prove to anyone that it does all that :127:
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
Bluer

Post by Bluer »

In regards to the rebuttals that what is the point of a sports car that can go X speed...that is all you can say?

It is a hell of a lot easier to push a sports car than it is to perse, make a massive truck that makes some people want to club you over your ****ing head and drop you off in the middle east, with a m-16, so you can get your own fuel.

An addiction to the adrenalin from going fast is one thing, driving a massive vehicle because your personality is too bland to be is just sad.
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Bluer wrote:In regards to the rebuttals that what is the point of a sports car that can go X speed...that is all you can say?

It is a hell of a lot easier to push a sports car than it is to perse, make a massive truck that makes some people want to club you over your ****ing head and drop you off in the middle east, with a m-16, so you can get your own fuel.

An addiction to the adrenalin from going fast is one thing, driving a massive vehicle because your personality is too bland to be is just sad.

Huh???

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”