Construction speed zone

Home of the traffic rant.
zzontar
Guru

Re: Construction speed zone

Post by zzontar »

Symbonite wrote:How about following the posted speed limit.

Its 50 For a reason...your safety and the safety of others.

I completely understand going 50 when people are working beside the road... on the other hand, going 50 all the way past westside rd. in the evening when no one is working does nothing but back up traffic unnecessarily, making it more unsafe.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

In Alberta, they have signs that read "Fines in construction zones double when workers present" ... seems sensible enough to me... ticketing people in construction zones when workers are not present is an obvious cash cow.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Sometimes there are pieces of equipment that are hard to see at night or uneven pavement or . . .Just obey the law. The construction speed zone is in effect 24/7. Period. What's the big hurry?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Urbane wrote:Sometimes there are pieces of equipment that are hard to see at night or uneven pavement or . . .Just obey the law. The construction speed zone is in effect 24/7. Period. What's the big hurry?

Exactly.

It's not unsafe to drive the speed limit.

I've done courses in evasive driving, offensive and defesive driving, pursuit driving - you name it, and the #1 rule for safe driving, even with all of our tricks, is to drive the speed limit.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
slimpack
Fledgling

Post by slimpack »

I'm not sure the length of the construction zone (bridge to Westside Rd) lets say 2 Km, at 80 Km/h that's 90 seconds.....at 50Km/h that's 144 seconds a little math tell us that a total of 54 seconds on your total trip. That's if you make it through Westside Rd without those people doing 50 Km/h catching up at the red light. 54 seconds isn't worth it, let's slow down before someone gets killed........ it could be you.
Dolores
Board Meister

Post by Dolores »

Holy Crow Guys

Is it really THAT hard to just follow the posted limits. I run up and down that hill everyday and it never ceases to amaze me how many people speed through that zone and others in this valley. :ohmygod:

Like one other posted stated... How many extra SECONDS, yes SECONDS will it add to your daily commute to just follow the bloody speed limits. :purefury:

We need more cops at the top of that hill. Someone is going to get killed because some of us feel that we have the right to make a judgement call based on what we believe is the correct speed to travel at that time.
aginger1
Board Meister

Post by aginger1 »

Here Here Delores....
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

FreeRights wrote:
Urbane wrote:Sometimes there are pieces of equipment that are hard to see at night or uneven pavement or . . .Just obey the law. The construction speed zone is in effect 24/7. Period. What's the big hurry?

Exactly.

I've done courses in evasive driving, offensive and defesive driving, pursuit driving - you name it, and the #1 rule for safe driving, even with all of our tricks, is to drive the speed limit.

This is true if EVERYONE does the limit. If everyone's doing 80 and you're the only one doing 50, guaranteed you're putting yourself at more at risk than if you go with the flow.
Dolores
Board Meister

Post by Dolores »

Going with the flow is all fine and dandy if you don't mind paying the fine!!!

When I drive the construction zones I drive the speed limit because I am too broke to pay the fine. I don't have a problem if anyone else wants to pay cause if they pay, the more in the kitty for the cops right.

That goes for anywhere else in this wonderful city. I drive the speed limit period. If you want to speed then do so if you have the cash, just don't ride my tail and expect me to do the same just because you feel that I am not going fast enough.

To me this is one of the biggest problems about drivers. They will ride your a** until they get you to speed up for fear of being hit. I ride with two children in my car on a regular basis, I am NOT going to speed because Mario thinks I should. Just the other day I was on Glenrosa when good old Mario decided that I wasn't going fast enough. So guess what he did? He passed me, in a fifty on a double line, in front of the middle school, with a blind corner only to turn off in front of me. Well I got the last laugh because around that blind corner sat a cop (this is on Glenrosa just past McIver Rd). Mario got a hefty ticket I imagine :nyah:

Boy do I love justice when it is exacted.

zzontar wrote:
FreeRights wrote:

Exactly.

This is true if EVERYONE does the limit. If everyone's doing 80 and you're the only one doing 50, guaranteed you're putting yourself at more at risk than if you go with the flow.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Yes dolores, justice like that would be sweet indeed... thing is, if you have some idiot on your tail if you're doing the limit, you could probably go twice the limit and they'd still be on your butt, so many people here just aren't happy unless there's no one ahead of them.
Dolores
Board Meister

Post by Dolores »

zzontar wrote:Yes dolores, justice like that would be sweet indeed... thing is, if you have some idiot on your tail if you're doing the limit, you could probably go twice the limit and they'd still be on your butt, so many people here just aren't happy unless there's no one ahead of them.

Yup, yup, yup

So very true. Thats why I will slow down and allow them to pass and then I whisper a small prayer that says something like"I hope the cops are just around the corner so Mario can get that ticket that he/she rightly deserves."

Sometimes it even works :nyah: :dyinglaughing:
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

zzontar wrote:Yes dolores, justice like that would be sweet indeed... thing is, if you have some idiot on your tail if you're doing the limit, you could probably go twice the limit and they'd still be on your butt, so many people here just aren't happy unless there's no one ahead of them.

If someone tail gates me i will stop(with 4 ways on) and ask what there problem is,(Am not afraid of what they may try to do, can handle myself really well) specially in a construction zone. If you hit me from behind and I am doing the speed limit, beleive me I will own all you have.

Has anyone ever seen a mangled body of a construction worker run over by a speeder trying to get to the next red light? Well I have, not a pretty sight.

Just slow down and save a life and your life of misery if you hit anyone. :purefury:
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

razzledazzle wrote:

If someone tail gates me i will stop(with 4 ways on) and ask what there problem is,(Am not afraid of what they may try to do, can handle myself really well) specially in a construction zone. If you hit me from behind and I am doing the speed limit, beleive me I will own all you have.

Has anyone ever seen a mangled body of a construction worker run over by a speeder trying to get to the next red light? Well I have, not a pretty sight.

Just slow down and save a life and your life of misery if you hit anyone. :purefury:

I'm not so sure that is a good idea.
In today's society, you never know what they have on them.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

I stick to the speedlimit and ...smile :dyinglaughing: they can honk, swear, finger me and i just keep on smiling. :sillygrin: ....And I wish that the speeding tickets hannded out would go to reducing my taxes. Or maybe even funding the carbon tax so we dont have to pay another 2.4 cents.
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

John500 wrote:I stick to the speedlimit and ...smile :dyinglaughing: they can honk, swear, finger me and i just keep on smiling. :sillygrin: ....And I wish that the speeding tickets hannded out would go to reducing my taxes. Or maybe even funding the carbon tax so we dont have to pay another 2.4 cents.

Wish more peeps and or people would think like you John, good statement. :nyah:

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”