Easy pickings approaching the bridge

Home of the traffic rant.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Re: Easy pickings approaching the bridge

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

Bestside wrote:
Fancy wrote:I can see the signs well before I'm on top of them and I'm in a small car. I also am well aware the signs will change because of the construction. If I can pay attention and know when the speed limit changes, so can everyone else. I really don't care whether it's a cash grab or not. The signs aren't playing hide and seek.

Are you the person who is always trying to merge into the right lane at the top of the hill? :)

WOW!
Now I understand why everyone thinks Kelowna has a few bad drivers. :dyinglaughing:
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Fancy wrote:I can see the signs well before I'm on top of them and I'm in a small car. I also am well aware the signs will change because of the construction. If I can pay attention and know when the speed limit changes, so can everyone else. I really don't care whether it's a cash grab or not. The signs aren't playing hide and seek.

Fancy wrote:Construction around the bridge area has been going on for some time and been well publicized. Not only that, but every single driver knows that fines double in construction zones. Speeding in a construction zone is hardly a game when workers are maimed or killed. Pay attention - god forbid drivers here go to a strange city if they can't figure it out in their home town.

First thing, Kelowna is not my home town, and the construction zone, and the roads were changing everytime I went into Kelowna. Therefore I am always looking for changes while making sure that dingbat behind me doesn't ram me out of the way.

BTW - yes I always look for cyclists as I consider them to be vehicles on the road.
Lilapplepie
Fledgling

Post by Lilapplepie »

[quote="Fancy"]If people can't read, they shouldn't be driving. If people can't see there's construction going on, then they have a more serious problem. This bridge has been in the works for how long? Do people really need warning signs? How about paying attention - gee, what a concept. Not one sign is obscured and no reason to have missed any of them.[/quote]

Hear Hear. I 100% agree! :discodance:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bestside - merging has been a nightmare here for years. I learned how to do that in a big city decades ago. Goes to show people still don't know how to do it right even with signage. How can anyone miss the sign 50 ahead, or the big billboard about the bridge project?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dolores
Board Meister

Post by Dolores »

There is only one answer to this.....

DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT AND YOU DON'T GET A TICKET!!!!! Plain and simple answer to the problem.

As a driver you are the one responsible to observe the laws. There is no excuse and if you get a ticket... then it looks good on you. Why should there be a warning other than making sure that the workers ahead are safe?

My take on things.

People drive too damn fast here in the valley and it surprises me that there are not more deaths because of it.
toru_msb
Fledgling

Post by toru_msb »

Just to address some points that have come up:

a) It's not about speeding - he was traveling faster than the posted limit, no argument.

b) The speed zone changes start well before the cones and equipment, and for good reason.

c) As someone else pointed out, care is taken to announce traffic signal changes for a long time after the change is made. I'm not sure why anyone thinks moving the transition of a speed zone is so unimportant to note.

The fact is that making the new transition point visually obvious would be safer and more effective for those who would adhere to the limit.

For those who wouldn't none of this matters.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Well between your posts and mine it's just been confirmed that a) speeding was the issue (got a ticket) b) speed zones were changed (signs posted) c)
care is taken to announce traffic signal changes for a long time after the change is made
care was taken to annouce traffic speed changes well BEFORE the change happened.
toru_msb
Fledgling

Post by toru_msb »

Fancy wrote:Well between your posts and mine it's just been confirmed that a) speeding was the issue (got a ticket) b) speed zones were changed (signs posted) c)
care is taken to announce traffic signal changes for a long time after the change is made
care was taken to annouce traffic speed changes well BEFORE the change happened.

I meant that the speeding was not contested. The zone boundary moved and he didn't catch it. No excuse and no argument.

When and how were the specific movements of the speed zone transitions announced? Perhaps you are thinking of the general existence of the construction speed zone? The existence and the dynamic boundaries are not the same thing.

When I say that signal changes are announced I mean that there is special signage - sometimes with flashing amber lights - that warn drivers that the traffic signals they are used to have changed. This special signage appears to be left in place for quite some time.

I'm wondering why the movement of a speed zone transition does not merit the same treatment? If it's a case of, "Pay attention to the darn signs!" then why does that attitude not hold with signal changes? "Watch the darn lights!"

In the end I think that helping drivers is for the best. When you make changes to the familiar make an effort to draw attention to it. It's already done in some cases, it's just not evenly applied.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

toru_msb wrote:
Fancy wrote:Well between your posts and mine it's just been confirmed that a) speeding was the issue (got a ticket) b) speed zones were changed (signs posted) c)

I meant that the speeding was not contested. The zone boundary moved and he didn't catch it. No excuse and no argument.

When and how were the specific movements of the speed zone transitions announced? Perhaps you are thinking of the general existence of the construction speed zone? The existence and the dynamic boundaries are not the same thing.

When I say that signal changes are announced I mean that there is special signage - sometimes with flashing amber lights - that warn drivers that the traffic signals they are used to have changed. This special signage appears to be left in place for quite some time.

I'm wondering why the movement of a speed zone transition does not merit the same treatment? If it's a case of, "Pay attention to the darn signs!" then why does that attitude not hold with signal changes? "Watch the darn lights!"

In the end I think that helping drivers is for the best. When you make changes to the familiar make an effort to draw attention to it. It's already done in some cases, it's just not evenly applied.

Your earlier post was taken out of context... your point had been very well put:
toru_msb wrote:c) As someone else pointed out, care is taken to announce traffic signal changes for a long time after the change is made. I'm not sure why anyone thinks moving the transition of a speed zone is so unimportant to note.

The fact is that making the new transition point visually obvious would be safer and more effective for those who would adhere to the limit.

It should not be necessary for 100% of the people to be checking for generic traffic sign changes 100% of the time. People need to expect a good deal of consistency in signage so that their main focus is on the road and being aware of the unpredictable actions of other drivers who spend 100% of their time looking for sign changes.

Being properly alerted to change is necessary for improved safety.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It's a construction area - and a big one. Everyone should be paying attention 100% of the time and watching for flaggers. If I am having no problem with understanding where the changes in speed limits are occuring, there is no excuse for anyone else saying they missed the signs.
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

quit trying to enlighten rainwoman, she's plateaued evelutionary wise. It's just getting embarassing.
toru_msb
Fledgling

Post by toru_msb »

westbanker wrote:quit trying to enlighten rainwoman, she's plateaued evelutionary wise. It's just getting embarassing.

There does seem to be somewhat of a disconnect, especially over the concept of "excuse".

I guess I've made my points to rest of us imperfect creatures. :127:
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

What gets me is the fancy gals going west in their fancy cars who read the first flashing merge arrow SIGN on the east side of the bridge and stop a couple of cars lengths past the Abbot St. intersection to merge into the right lane. :127:

These fancy gals in their fancy cars back traffic up in the left lane back to Winners.
At least the new bridge will reduce the effect of the lack of driving intelligence of those Losers.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

so today as i was driving towards the bridge i was thinking about this topic so i made sure to keep an eye out for signs saying the speed limit. first i saw a sign letting me know that i was approaching a 50km/h zone. also there was the construction signs letting me know works were working. when i entered the 50 zone there was a sign on each side of the road one attached into the concrete meridian on the left side and another on a pole on the right side \:D/ .not alot of room there for confusion, even if there was a semi in the right lane blocking the sign i still would have the one on my left.
aginger1
Board Meister

Post by aginger1 »

:ohmygod: Its a construction zone....slow down....PERIOD> Wow....its not that difficult to grasp. There are signs everywhere....there is no excuse. If you get a ticket around there....you "EARNED" it. :nutzoid:

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”