Come out and celebrate the new bridge traffic jam May25

Home of the traffic rant.
Bestside
Guru

Re: Come out and celebrate the new bridge traffic jam May25

Post by Bestside »

Fancy wrote:
The change is there will be no reduction from two lanes to one lane as is the case on the old bridge
There is no reduction to one lane during the morning rush hour as referred to by lefty, cateyes, myself and orez. Yes it will help in the afternoon as it will continue to be 2 lanes into Kelowna.
:127:
LOL... with the amount of traffic there is now it will help ALL the time...
you just have one alternating lane occurrence down to one lane and it takes a long long time to clear the created bottle neck... just going back to two lanes does not easily clear what was backed-up.

You go south in the evenings in rush hour ... you see what happens when it goes down to one lane...

Also..
1. no left turns from Abbott onto Harvey going north
2. more lanes turning left onto Abbott from the bridge

Not sure about this but there may be no stop at Abbott going north at all except for foot traffic...
granted quite a bit of that in the summer...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

OREZ wrote:Well, I guess for myself and others who are heading south in the morning it's certainly going to be smooth sailing, LOL. (way more traffic coming into town than leaving in the morning) As it is there are only two lanes coming into town, that's true. But, I will be very surprised if it stays that way forever and then we'll be back to merging, I would think it's a lot easier to add a lane to a highway than it is to add one to a bridge.

You obviously don't think like a politician...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not sure about this but there may be no stop at Abbott going north at all except for foot traffic...
granted quite a bit of that in the summer...
Thought about that but the merge lane onto the highway/bridge isn't near long enough for those that ignore the yield sign there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:Bestside, you missed lefty's comment that I believe cateyes was responding to
I was thinking that there will be no real change coming in to Kelowna, there are two lanes in during the morning rush period.
so where's the change?

The change is in the fact that the whole bridge scenario plays a part in affecting traffic going in both directions.

When the traffic flow is two lanes into town but only one out it creates a backlog in the southbound downtown area that plugs up roads which then affects even vehicles coming into town.

Whether an intersection gets plugged with traffic be it due to ignorance of driving laws or sheer volume it makes little difference as flow is impeded.

With the new bridge coming on line soon there should be no backlog of traffic since it will be allowed to flow at maximum capacity outward and the best current scenario inward without the congestion in the downtown area though.

In other words simply put the current bridge plays a big part in the slow down of flow during peak periods regardless of how many lanes are open and in which direction as it only has three lanes total to which we are now adding permanently two more.

The benefit of removing the need to merge onto the bridge in itself makes all the difference in the world as far as I'm concerned given the local populaces obvious inability to perform that function.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Understood LoneWolf, thanks.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Bestside wrote:
Fancy wrote:Bestside, you missed lefty's comment that I believe cateyes was responding to
I was thinking that there will be no real change coming in to Kelowna, there are two lanes in during the morning rush period.
so where's the change?

I never missed it and it's immaterial in any case....

This thread is 84 posts long, started by Cateyes who has dissed the new bridge as not being better for moving traffic both north and SOUTH.

He now implies he did not know it would NOT be alternating lanes...
Cateyes wrote:Is it 2 lanes all the time? No alternating lane? Yowzya that would make my assumptions all wrong. Wrong in that I will be MUCH worse than I thought.

This "alternating" comment from Cateyes applies to all his earlier rants about both directions. That is very obvious because alternating lanes takes from one to give to the other and vice versa...

This can't be looked at from a one directional view...

His last post sums up his (her?) problem perfectly.... :dyinglaughing:

I still don't know what your trying to say. Seems you are trying anything and everything to just be able to say I am wrong. Whatever! You win. What none of you seem to understand is it does not matter if there are 20 lanes across the bridge. It just does not matter because of the location. On either side of a 2 lane highway. Count them one.....two. Or if you prefer more accuracy to try prove some pathetic point of "I'm right and your wrong", a guantlet of traffic lights through 3 lanes eventually turning into to 2.
Find something to give a damn about!
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

writerdave wrote: What good does calling people *bleep* do?

You are *bleep*!

Hmmmm...

That seemed to do good for me...made me laugh. :dyinglaughing:
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

*remark removed*/ferri
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

:137:
What's next, adding "heck" and "darn" to the word filter?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Cateyes wrote:Oh give me a break ferri! You CAN'T be serious! :9923:

Not only was it inappropriate and in poor taste but off topic and blatantly in contravention of the rules making it a good call by ferri.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

LoneWolf wrote:
Cateyes wrote:Oh give me a break ferri! You CAN'T be serious! :9923:

Not only was it inappropriate and in poor taste but off topic and blatantly in contravention of the rules making it a good call by ferri.

Once again, thank you so much for all the personal attention you have been giving me even though it's always the same ole blah blah your a poopy face blah blah blah. How about mixing it up a bit and have a point once in awhile.

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

:offtopic: Oh but I have a point. It's "Say No to Trolls!"

:backtotopic:
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Interesting you mention trolls in a thread about a bridge. :sillygrin:

I am glad I was able to spend some time with mom on Friday as she came over to my place to wait it out. Ironic it was her last day of work this side of the bridge. :127: We all have a choice whether to let it ruin our day, or let us do something pleasant we ordinarily would not have done.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

kccayenne wrote:Interesting you mention trolls in a thread about a bridge. :sillygrin:

I am glad I was able to spend some time with mom on Friday as she came over to my place to wait it out. Ironic it was her last day of work this side of the bridge. :127: We all have a choice whether to let it ruin our day, or let us do something pleasant we ordinarily would not have done.

Your posts are always so good... always making a point and putting a smile on a person at the same time. :sunshine:

You must be a great Mom... Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms... :thewave:
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Thanks Bestside!

You know, out of the many many years I lived on the other side of that bridge, I spent the last 5 commuting to school and work, sometimes 2 round trips (haha back when gas was $0.45/L). I allowed the traffic to elevate my stress levels and ruin my days back then. I can't get those ruined days back!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”