Come out and celebrate the new bridge traffic jam May25

Home of the traffic rant.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Come out and celebrate the new bridge traffic jam May25

Post by Nebula »

Yes, they were complete and utter idiots that designed and built the bridge. They never heard of drainage; maybe missed those classes when going to university.

:skyisfalling: :nutzoid:
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

writerdave wrote:Yes, they were complete and utter idiots that designed and built the bridge. They never heard of drainage; maybe missed those classes when going to university.

Hmm never thought of that...

but then utter idiot designors have been known to have been around before, and yes university students do miss classes,
but it was a question of note...
Gee has anyone seen all them darn old pipes appearing on our new bridge which seem to have the ability to drain crap off the new bridge directly down into the lake. What plans are in place for this and or a possible break in a pipe.
But I guess by your response you feel the environmental issues are well in hand.
So WD if this runoff is going into or has the chance to go directly into the lake you feel this is alright?
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

mumzee wrote:
writerdave wrote:Yes, they were complete and utter idiots that designed and built the bridge. They never heard of drainage; maybe missed those classes when going to university.

Hmm never thought of that...

but then utter idiot designors have been known to have been around before, and yes university students do miss classes,
but it was a question of note...
Gee has anyone seen all them darn old pipes appearing on our new bridge which seem to have the ability to drain crap off the new bridge directly down into the lake. What plans are in place for this and or a possible break in a pipe.
But I guess by your response you feel the environmental issues are well in hand.
So WD if this runoff is going into or has the chance to go directly into the lake you feel this is alright?

You mean as opposed to the big open metal grate on the old bridge?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

mumzee wrote:So WD if this runoff is going into or has the chance to go directly into the lake you feel this is alright?

I feel I am not a bridge designer and the bridge is not yet completed. I am more than willing to carry on with my life and not second guess professionals at this point.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

I'm not second guessing the people who designed the bridge and I am not paying attention to the current construction situation. The designers didn't have a say in where the bridge is and THAT is my issue. Should have been bypass surgery instead of just trying to unclog one part of the artery.
Find something to give a damn about!
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

If you look at the overall plan according to Urban System with respect to their Okanagan Corridor Plan. The present "new" bridge was just a temporary (well, not really temporary...more like a compliment) replacement for the old bridge. The 2nd new bridge was to be started 5 years after the Bennett Bridge opened. It was suppose to span across the log boom on the westside to where the mill is on the other side. Last I heard late last year, Liberals scrapped the 2nd bridge plan........so that's why we've got this bridge where it is....it was suppose to be a compliment to the bypass bridge.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

dirtrider wrote:If you look at the overall plan according to Urban System with respect to their Okanagan Corridor Plan. The present "new" bridge was just a temporary (well, not really temporary...more like a compliment) replacement for the old bridge. The 2nd new bridge was to be started 5 years after the Bennett Bridge opened. It was suppose to span across the log boom on the westside to where the mill is on the other side. Last I heard late last year, Liberals scrapped the 2nd bridge plan........so that's why we've got this bridge where it is....it was suppose to be a compliment to the bypass bridge.

Exactly! Tell that to all the sheep here who think it's THE solution because the Daily Crapper said so! :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep:

Not even close. A slight upgrade from the old bridge, newer smoother deck and no lift span (big issue but not THE issue) and that's about it. Extra lanes won't help except maybe going to/from downtown to the first lights on the westside. That's only a small percentage of the traffic.

With all the development going on right now on both sides whatever extra volume the new bridge accomodates will be right back relative to what it is now within a year or two.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Geez, they are going to underwhelm the lights at Westside road if they keep these changes coming!

New Abbott St traffic pattern
by Wayne Moore - Story: 39145
May 5, 2008 / 8:00 pm

Southbound traffic will no longer me able to make left hand turns onto Harvey Avenue from Abbott Street.

Traffic barriers went up Monday, making it mandatory for vehicles heading south along Abbott to turn right onto the bridge once they reach the highway.

Motorists wanting to turn left at Harvey should take Leon to Ellis.

Traffic patterns were changed northbound along Abbott several months ago, restricting northbound motorists to right turns only at Harvey.

The traffic changes are part of the the traffic re-alignment along Harvey in advance of the opening of the new William R. Bennett Bridge later this month.
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

LOL!

Like that change is going to do anything. All it does is move the problem over to Ellis. Besides, that change was in the works for a long time. This is not news.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Cateyes wrote:LOL!

Like that change is going to do anything. All it does is move the problem over to Ellis. Besides, that change was in the works for a long time. This is not news.

I surmise, given the way you post on this subject, that if all the lights along Harvey Avenue were fixed to your satisfaction, you would be complaining that all that did was to push the problem out on the Highway to the lights by the airport.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

writerdave wrote:

I surmise, given the way you post on this subject, that if all the lights along Harvey Avenue were fixed to your satisfaction, you would be complaining that all that did was to push the problem out on the Highway to the lights by the airport.

You can't 'fix' it. You can only bypass it.
hereiamagain
Übergod

Post by hereiamagain »

writerdave wrote:

:coffeecanuck:
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the deputy.
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

Yeah,celebrate. $340,000 for freaking party and ,oh,yeah,we are going to raise the snot out of your taxes to pay for it. Nice,just get the dang thing up and running.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

writerdave wrote:
mumzee wrote:So WD if this runoff is going into or has the chance to go directly into the lake you feel this is alright?

I feel I am not a bridge designer and the bridge is not yet completed. I am more than willing to carry on with my life and not second guess professionals at this point.

a somewhat avoidance of a question
but the real jist of your comment seems to be if a person of normal intelligence sees a possible problem then this is in someway 2nd guessing a professional
and if this is true then what you believe is
if a person has some form of professional designation then they are
by that fact
beyond question
and correct
And as we know you to be considered on this board as a professional writer
then we should all believe and not question (2nd guess) that which you say

But in the long run WD the fact remains that in any type of development,, if a question arises and a design flaw pointed out no matter from where or when, it is far better to investiatate and deal with it prior to the compeltion of the project.

so go ahead, carry on with your life with out concern for our environment, we do not need your support, there are plenty of us keeping a close eye on these issues...
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

You have such a lovely way of twisting a point into a convoluted pretzel.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”