Come out and celebrate the new bridge traffic jam May25

Home of the traffic rant.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Come out and celebrate the new bridge traffic jam May25

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Spills will be handled same manner as the previous ones..

Why not worry about one say near Pandosy that is a gaseous leak that spreads out and envelops downtown??, then you wont be worrying about bridge drains..

I say we pick sides, then have a G2G in Sept.. and the losing sides buy drinks for the otherside... start saving yer scheckels Cateyes.. :discodance:

A big flaw people have in this discussion is they think we are going from 3-5 lanes.. but really we only have around 2.5 or less...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
lefty
Fledgling

Post by lefty »

I'm of the opinion that the new bridge will help a lot, particularly traffic heading west out of town and especially when the planned interchange at Westside and Boucherie Roads are eventually done.

But, this morning as I was driving towards the bridge into Kelowna, I was thinking that there will be no real change coming in to Kelowna, there are two lanes in during the morning rush period. With the new bridge there will be two lanes in. The only real difference for that way will be once it isn't a construction zone and small improvements up to Abbot St.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Is it 2 lanes all the time? No alternating lane? Yowzya that would make my assumptions all wrong. Wrong in that I will be MUCH worse than I thought.
Find something to give a damn about!
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Cateyes wrote:Is it 2 lanes all the time? No alternating lane? Yowzya that would make my assumptions all wrong. Wrong in that I will be MUCH worse than I thought.

You would have preferred a single alternating lane?
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:A big flaw people have in this discussion is they think we are going from 3-5 lanes.. but really we only have around 2.5 or less...

Cateyes wrote:Is it 2 lanes all the time? No alternating lane? Yowzya that would make my assumptions all wrong. Wrong in that I will be MUCH worse than I thought.

:dyinglaughing:
Apparently some people have been making a lot of noise about decisions they have made while not having a clue about what they were talking about.

Hate to break it to you Cateyes but its three dedicated lanes going south right from downtown Kelowna to past Westside Road. Where are you living that you are so far out of the loop? Rural Newfoundland?
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Bestside wrote:
50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:A big flaw people have in this discussion is they think we are going from 3-5 lanes.. but really we only have around 2.5 or less...

Apparently some people have been making a lot of noise about decisions they have made while not having a clue about what they were talking about.

Hate to break it to you Cateyes but its three dedicated lanes going south right from downtown Kelowna to past Westside Road. Where are you living that you are so far out of the loop? Rural Newfoundland?

Hate to break it to you but if you LISTEN instead of talk out your behind you would know we know that. Didn't your mom ever teach you that we have 2 ears and one mouth for a reason.

We are talking about heading into Kelowna from the Westside. Only 2 lanes all the time. Man oh man, we are going backwards here! How does only 2 lanes solve ANYTHING. Yea it backs up when there is one but even with 2 it's like at capacity a lot of the time. *bleep*????
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Cateyes wrote:
Bestside wrote:

Hate to break it to you but if you LISTEN instead of talk out your behind you would know we know that. Didn't your mom ever teach you that we have 2 ears and one mouth for a reason.

We are talking about heading into Kelowna from the Westside. Only 2 lanes all the time. Man oh man, we are going backwards here! How does only 2 lanes solve ANYTHING. Yea it backs up when there is one but even with 2 it's like at capacity a lot of the time. what the heck????

:coffeecanuck:
If you HAD alternating lanes on a five lane bridge to give traffic heading north 3 lanes... how many lanes would you have left for traffic going south? Hmmmm real tough question.. :-k :131: :129:

And who was the person dissing the new bridge as not going to handle traffic going OUT of Kelowna? Hmmmmm :-k :131: :129:

Cateyes you are eating that crow before the bridge even opens... :dyinglaughing:
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Bestside, you missed lefty's comment that I believe cateyes was responding to
I was thinking that there will be no real change coming in to Kelowna, there are two lanes in during the morning rush period.
so where's the change?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Bestside wrote:
Cateyes wrote:
Bestside wrote:

We are talking about heading into Kelowna from the Westside. Only 2 lanes all the time. Man oh man, we are going backwards here! How does only 2 lanes solve ANYTHING. Yea it backs up when there is one but even with 2 it's like at capacity a lot of the time. what the heck????

:coffeecanuck:
If you HAD alternating lanes on a five lane bridge to give traffic heading north 3 lanes... how many lanes would you have left for traffic going south? Hmmmm real tough question.. :-k :131: :129:

And who was the person dissing the new bridge as not going to handle traffic going OUT of Kelowna? Hmmmmm :-k :131: :129:

Cateyes you are eating that crow before the bridge even opens... :dyinglaughing:

I don''t even know what your talking about now.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Fancy wrote:Bestside, you missed lefty's comment that I believe cateyes was responding to
I was thinking that there will be no real change coming in to Kelowna, there are two lanes in during the morning rush period.
so where's the change?

And it's a valid point. Why isn't the middle lane an alternating one? Are we absolutely sure that this will be the case? I've heard this and wondered about that myself.

Another rumor I heard was that the centre lane would be for emergency vehicles only, now that's just gotta be BS, please, someone tell me that's not true.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Fancy wrote:Bestside, you missed lefty's comment that I believe cateyes was responding to
so where's the change?

I never missed it and it's immaterial in any case....

This thread is 84 posts long, started by Cateyes who has dissed the new bridge as not being better for moving traffic both north and SOUTH.

He now implies he did not know it would NOT be alternating lanes...

This "alternating" comment from Cateyes applies to all his earlier rants about both directions. That is very obvious because alternating lanes takes from one to give to the other and vice versa...

This can't be looked at from a one directional view...

His last post sums up his (her?) problem perfectly.... :dyinglaughing:
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

OREZ wrote:
so where's the change?

And it's a valid point. Why isn't the middle lane an alternating one? Are we absolutely sure that this will be the case? I've heard this and wondered about that myself.

Another rumor I heard was that the centre lane would be for emergency vehicles only, now that's just gotta be BS, please, someone tell me that's not true.

It's three lanes going south and two lanes north.

There has been loads of discussion that it should have been a six lane bridge... which would have been a no brainer...

The change is there will be no reduction from two lanes to one lane as is the case on the old bridge. Of course that will make it better... and there are only two lanes leading up to the bridge... but how long will it be before that is over loaded?

Alternating lanes is not a good solution ...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The change is there will be no reduction from two lanes to one lane as is the case on the old bridge
There is no reduction to one lane during the morning rush hour as referred to by lefty, cateyes, myself and orez. Yes it will help in the afternoon as it will continue to be 2 lanes into Kelowna.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Well, I guess for myself and others who are heading south in the morning it's certainly going to be smooth sailing, LOL. (way more traffic coming into town than leaving in the morning) As it is there are only two lanes coming into town, that's true. But, I will be very surprised if it stays that way forever and then we'll be back to merging, I would think it's a lot easier to add a lane to a highway than it is to add one to a bridge.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”