New Bridge Thoughts

Home of the traffic rant.
Honda59
Fledgling

New Bridge Thoughts

Post by Honda59 »

1. What is the metal structure on the middle barriers at the top of Bridge Hill?

2. Why is the newly posted speed limit on the new bridge only 50 km/hr, when the old limit was 60 km/hr?

3. How can you say the bridge will be done for Sunday, May 25th, when it will be opening in stages and not all work has been completed?
Kid A

Re: New Bridge Thoughts

Post by Kid A »

I agree, we've waited this long, a few more days (or weeks) is probably not going to kill us. It looks to me like a Sunday opening is pushing it. Why not open the bridge for all only once it is ready?
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Because Kevin what's his name won't have to jump in the lake if it "partially" opens on Sunday
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

It's debatable how 'ready' the bridge will be on Sunday but it is my understanding no matter how ready it is, it cannot be opened all at once. One cannot shut down the old bridge and turn on the new one like flipping a switch.

The problem is the approaches to the bridge, on both sides. The lanes that now go to the old bridge must be reconfigured to line up with the new bridge and that can't be done all at once.
Last edited by Nebula on May 22nd, 2008, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Possibly the 50 Km speed limit is still to do with the construction, guess we will have to wait and see. I think the contractor and his crews have busted *bleep* to move this opening ahead of schedule. It won't be the "end of the lake crossing" if we don't see two way traffic on the new bridge for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy your cake. :sunshine:
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Slowing down on the bridge would be alright at 50KM aligns up with the 50km/h in Kelowna.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Ranger66 »

What is the metal structure on the middle barriers at the top of Bridge Hill?”

I would think that it is there to keep people from doing a U- turn, crossing into the wrong side or to prevent speed demons from becoming air borne.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
new in town
Übergod

Post by new in town »

The speed limit should be 120.

I like seeing Hummers flipping into the lake. :nyah:
"War is the total failure of the human spirit" - Robert Fisk
Ali Gator
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ali Gator »

It doesn't seem possible that the bridge would be open on time but if they have lots of people working on it who knows? It will certainly be interesting!
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

The bridge does not open on Sunday, it opens Monday morning. Sunday is the celebration.
To be inspired.
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

who cares what the speed limit is its not like you're ever going to hit it....
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

mrj222 wrote:who cares what the speed limit is its not like you're ever going to hit it....

I've hit 60 kph on the old bridge many times.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

mrj222 wrote:who cares what the speed limit is its not like you're ever going to hit it....

I don't know where you've been driving but I've had no shortage of times that those going past me on the old bridge were doing practically double the speed limit.

Must be an escapee from the Cateyes home for positive thinkers. :sillygrin:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Honda59 wrote:What is the metal structure on the middle barriers at the top of Bridge Hill?

That is where the gap in the concrete barriers were for people turning left to the Bluffs (Northbound traffic). They probably didn’t have any concrete barriers available to fill the gap (or considered it too much bother to shut down a lane to bring a crane-truck in to place new ones) so they just “boarded it up” with metal planking. My guess is that those are just temporary, until they create some new space for another left-hand-turn onto the bluffs. After all, the Natives need access to their graveyard…
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

I just hope the bridge is just one day late being finished as I love to see Falcon and his buddy Gordon jump in the lake......That will make my day.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”