Turning right onto the bridge at Abbott

Home of the traffic rant.
zzontar
Guru

Turning right onto the bridge at Abbott

Post by zzontar »

Now they have lights instead of a yield sign when you're turning right at Abbott to go onto the bridge... there's also signage saying NO RIGHT TURN ON RED LIGHT, so if the light's red and I'm not turning, STOP YOUR FRIGGIN' YELLING AND LEARN HOW TO READ SIGNS! It's not like because you can turn right at other red lights that the sign doesn't count, or you could go before so you should be able to go now... is everyone just so stupid they can't read the sign, or is it that they're so important that the signs don't pertain to them? :200:
They say you can't believe everything they say.
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Turning right onto the bridge at Abbott

Post by FreeRights »

I think it's a bit of both. Most people here are idiots, and most people do think the world revolves around them.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

Abbott should be turned into an on and off "ramp" only with a merge lane as should the next 3-4 streets. Can you still turn left there? I haven't been there in a long time.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
toru_msb
Fledgling

Post by toru_msb »

I think a two stage approach is needed here.

1) Attach a flashing amber light to the "no right turn on red" sign. (My universal solution!)

2) Assign a traffic officer to the intersection for a couple of weeks. Their job is to ticket people turning on the red with "disobeying a traffic control device" and to ticket people harassing those who won't turn on the red with "driving without due care and attention".

No carrots, just sticks. Or beating people with carrots. I don't remember where this was going.

I guess this means that Abbott as a chokepoint for through highway traffic is here to stay.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

toru_msb wrote:I guess this means that Abbott as a chokepoint for through highway traffic is here to stay.

Well if they're giving it dual lefts then obviously it'll be far less of concern as a choke point than Ellis, Gordon, Cooper, Dilworth, Banks and so on.

The only way to avoid choke points is to drive on a freeway and we don't have one.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Even freeways can turn into large parking lots. Just look at any highway in the lower mainland during rush hour. 50km of bumper-to-bumper traffic, with hardly a car moving…
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think the idea was that you could head up the highway to the bridge and after crossing Abbott, not have to worry about traffic cutting in from your right, lessening the chance of a collision just before the bridge, but what they forgot was that here you're allowed to hold a licence even if your brain registers no activity at all, thereby defeating the plan.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Does not matter what is done. People have no time anymore for driving with some courtesy. Its a me me me rush rush rush world. And it shows in todays driving habits. Having said that, drive according to the signs and rules. Let them yell at you and you laugh about it and wish them a good day.
toru_msb
Fledgling

Post by toru_msb »

We need to take people out of the equation. If cars drove themselves and communicated with each other then we would not need lights and all merges would be optimal.

We are inexorably marching towards that with things like following cruise control, automatic braking controls, lane detection, and this: http://www.darpa.mil/GRANDCHALLENGE/

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”