Speeding up when someone attempts to pass

Home of the traffic rant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Speeding up when someone attempts to pass

Post by Fancy »

That's a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at it
Speeding up to prevent someone from passing is dangerous and against the law for a reason. You have a difference of opinion, lobby for change though I doubt whatever you have to say will have any effect.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It would benefit most people to take refresher courses since it's obvious a lot of folks didn't know the law regarding the topic.
jbaris

Post by jbaris »

Fancy wrote:
That's a pretty narrow-minded way of looking at it
Speeding up to prevent someone from passing is dangerous and against the law for a reason. You have a difference of opinion, lobby for change though I doubt whatever you have to say will have any effect.

I agree with you 100% that speeding up to prevent someone from passing is dangerous and against the law, but speeding in general (in most cases) is not. That's where we have a difference of opinion. Cheers
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's where we have a difference of opinion.
??? How so with regard to the topic?
jbaris

Post by jbaris »

Fancy wrote:
That's where we have a difference of opinion.
??? How so with regard to the topic?

Because you accept the speed limits and probably follow them and think people should take 'refresher courses' to be like you. I see lots of them as an arbitrary number, and that they should be a general guideline, not the law. Laws should be there to protect people from real criminals.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You do know what the topic is? Your response has nothing to do with it. Speed limit isn't the issue - deliberately speeding up to impede someone else is. Whatever.
jbaris

Post by jbaris »

Fancy wrote:You do know what the topic is? Your response has nothing to do with it. Speed limit isn't the issue - deliberately speeding up to impede someone else is. Whatever.

Touché, my apologies. I got off topic somehow. See you in the 'speeding' topic.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

What about when someone attempts to pass you as you pass through a speed limit change?

You're in a 60 zone approaching an 80 zone and the impatient driver behind you decides to start to pass you half a block before the 80km/h sign. There's no way they will be completely past you when you pass the 80mk/h sign. What do you do?
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

OffRoad wrote:What about when someone attempts to pass you as you pass through a speed limit change?

You're in a 60 zone approaching an 80 zone and the impatient driver behind you decides to start to pass you half a block before the 80km/h sign. There's no way they will be completely past you when you pass the 80mk/h sign. What do you do?

Let them pass you (and possibly ge the ticket) our ride your *bleep*. I no longer resign to "peer" or "other road rager" pressure. I'm so sick of it, if I'm not passing others then I'm in the right lane, if I'm passing the people on the right I move to the right lane when I'm past the cars I want to get ahead of.

I do this on a daily basis. On my way thru Westbank there is no "70" zone, it goes from 50 thru Westbank and then once you get past Cherry pit it's 90. Drives me nuts. If the light is green, I begin accelerating, then by the time I hit the "90" sign I'm doing about 90 or 95. I'm assuming by the flow of traffic most people know what's going on but there have been several instances when people are still doing 50 or so (perfectly understandable as there's no 70 sign). But wow was I suprised when there were cops up there the other day!?! (Taking advantage of the sitch? I think so!) Why is it that the reverse direction we get the 90, 70 then 50 but on the way out it just goes from 50 to 90? IMO that's just an unjustified place to hand out tickets.
That said, I don't ride someone who's still doing 50 or so, I switch to the left lane and most times I'm good to go. In my experience the people still going 50 ish are out of town plates. I've been in plenty of towns where I'm the one holding up traffic because I'm doing the limit although everyone else seems to know that the speed limit goes up shortly.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”