Speeding up when someone attempts to pass

Home of the traffic rant.
eMeM
Übergod

Speeding up when someone attempts to pass

Post by eMeM »

Okay Guys, I'm not planning on getting into details but I'd like to know if it is illegal to speed up and purposefully hinder someone who is trying to pass you. I know this is certainly a jerk-off thing to do, but is it legal?
Before anyone starts calling me names, I was the one attempting the pass - not the one trying to prevent it. lol
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Re: Speeding up when someone attempts to pass

Post by AlanH »

mm34 wrote:Okay Guys, I'm not planning on getting into details but I'd like to know if it is illegal to speed up and purposefully hinder someone who is trying to pass you. I know this is certainly a jerk-off thing to do, but is it legal?
Before anyone starts calling me names, I was the one attempting the pass - not the one trying to prevent it. lol

It's only illegal if you get caught.... For the most part, the fastest car wins.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Duty when overtaking
157 (1) Except as provided in section 158, the driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle

(a) must cause the vehicle to pass to the left of the other vehicle at a safe distance, and

(b) must not cause or permit the vehicle to return to the right side of the highway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.

(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, a driver of an overtaken vehicle,

(a) on hearing an audible signal given by the driver of the overtaking vehicle, must cause the vehicle to give way to the right in favour of the overtaking vehicle, and

(b) must not increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.
You are passing a vehicle - that vehicle MUST NOT SPEED UP to prevent you from passing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

Thank you Fancy. I figured I knew it, but I didn't know where to find it.
What a jerk-off. (not you, the guy I had it out with today.)
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Huh. I knew it was a rotten thing to do but had no idea it was illegal.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hey, I figured at 8000 posts, it was time for me to take down my shingle - but one thing I enjoy is research and the legality of it all and this one for me was a slam dunk having the same thing happen to me on a major highway 30 years ago and come close to a head on collision. Love when a policeman is at the right place at the right time :)
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Where you speeding while passing? And if so by how much over the limit? Maybe there was no need to pass in the first place. Maybe the one being passed just wanted a bit of a race with you. But then again, I like to adhere to the posted speedlimit. And by doing that 90% of the cars pass me. And 90% of those are nicely waiting in line at the next traffic light when I arrive. ANd often when I arrive the light turns green. And then it all starts all over again...LOL :dyinglaughing:
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

John500 wrote:Where you speeding while passing? And if so by how much over the limit? Maybe there was no need to pass in the first place. Maybe the one being passed just wanted a bit of a race with you. But then again, I like to adhere to the posted speedlimit. And by doing that 90% of the cars pass me. And 90% of those are nicely waiting in line at the next traffic light when I arrive. ANd often when I arrive the light turns green. And then it all starts all over again...LOL :dyinglaughing:

Yeah, but I have more fun getting there.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Yes it is illegal to speed up when someone is passing you and also extremelly dangerous. However I also drive the speed limit at all times usually with speed control. The majority of vehicles on the road pass me, meaning that they are speeding to even catch up to me and are just as much in the wrong as I would be to speed up. Most of the complaints that I see on these threads are put there by people who are already breaking the law themselves. I'm not saying that is the case here but from my experience that would be the case.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
moi
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by moi »

A guy was driving 50 km in a 80 km zone...so dh passes him..he speeds up....and dh gets the ticket for trying to pass him and the speeder got away with it...fair..nope! Makes me wonder!
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

In this instance the guy was doing about 20 on a side road "lookie looin" or something. I looked ahead, saw a vehicle quite a ways down the road in the oncoming lane. I had plenty of time to pass this guy, so I pulled out to pass. He notices this and decides to hammer on the gas as I'm running parallel to him. I dropped into second gear to give my little car a kick in the pants and did end up getting around him, but by this time the guy in the vehicle in the oncoming lane was probably about to *bleep* his pants. It had the potential to make for a really nasty situation all because this guy simply wouldn't let me pass.
A couple of things to note before everyone jumps on me:
- single broken yellow, so yes it was an area where passing is allowed.
- second gear tops out at about 50 kph so no I wasn't speeding even while passing this guy.

What made me laugh was this guy figured he'd follow me into the store and start going on about my driving and how long I'll have my licence driving like that. Really? When I asked him if he thought speeding up to prevent me from passing was a good idea he had no answer except to continually call me names and flip me the bird. Guess what his response was when I told him that calling names, etc isn't a very mature way to handle the situation? More name calling and bird flipping. Funny, I'm the jerk because I want to pass someone who's doing 20 kph? I'd be willing to bet this guy wouldn't have had the gonads to even get out of his car nevermind follow another man into the store. Real tough guy when it's a woman though.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

mm34 you have every right to be mad. He was totally in the wrong and could have killed someone. You have to be very cautious with these lookie loo's as they frequently wake up when you pass them and do that exact thing. It's dangerous to jar them out of their nap.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

AlanH wrote:
John500 wrote:Where you speeding while passing? And if so by how much over the limit? Maybe there was no need to pass in the first place. Maybe the one being passed just wanted a bit of a race with you. But then again, I like to adhere to the posted speedlimit. And by doing that 90% of the cars pass me. And 90% of those are nicely waiting in line at the next traffic light when I arrive. ANd often when I arrive the light turns green. And then it all starts all over again...LOL :dyinglaughing:

You're part of the problem, and not the solution. You're putting everybody's lives needlessly at risk.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

FreeRights wrote:
AlanH wrote:

You're part of the problem, and not the solution. You're putting everybody's lives needlessly at risk.

Really? Guess how many accidents I have been in, speeding tickets I have received, and how many pedestrians I have mowed over.... Zero thanks...

The problem is you driving 20 KM below the speed limit, hogging two lanes, while weaving from lane to lane with both hands on the wheel with that beer in your hand, and your joint in the other. You should be locked up for the rest of your days....

Then again, I could be assuming, just like you did.
jbaris

Post by jbaris »

John500 wrote:But then again, I like to adhere to the posted speedlimit. And by doing that 90% of the cars pass me.

There's a big problem when 90% of the population is breaking the law by speeding. Something needs to be changed. We need to raise the speed limits. They are not being followed because they are unrealistic. We need to have them raised so that 90% of us can drive at a safe comfortable speed and the 10% that feel they can't keep up can stay in the right lane or join the majority. These laws are made for us. Why do we all feel restricted by them? Let's change them to suit our needs.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”