The new bridge has been awesome

Home of the traffic rant.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Re: The new bridge has been awesome

Post by Mr. Personality »

Cateyes wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:Cateyes, I like you, but I think you're being shortsighted on this. There was a need for a second crossing and a new bridge. Now there's a need for a second crossing. The entire bridge project, at least in my mind, includes the work around it such as Westside and Boucherie Roads and the downtown entrance. In the end we're now talking about a second crossing and once all the work around the bridge is finished, we'll see if this project was a success or not.

Nobody is disputing the fact the old bridge needed to be replaced. The fact it was put in EXACTLY the same place is what is shorsighted. Right now they are saying the second crossing is at least 15-20 years away. In the big picture we are going to be royally screwed. Like I said, already there are traffic jams. Yea it's better. Not for anyone like me who goes through from Rutland to Westbank and back but if your going from downtown to the first or second light on the west side it's a bit better.

That does not address the 90% of traffic that goes straight through like all those big 18wheelers and RV's. They have no business whatsoever going through downtown. It's just one big clusterF%$k!

I have to agree with you but we're working with what we already have. I'm wondering where exactly a second crossing will go and how much work will be needed to facilitate the "through" traffic. I wonder how many times we would have been sitting in maintenance construction on the old bridge while watching the contstruction of the new bridge. Maybe that's just me and maybe you're right, but I still say let's wait until the whole thing is done before we judge it.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

The second crossing will go between the old ferry landings and link up with the new central okanagan bypass (clement rd).
Find something to give a damn about!
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

And how long will it take?
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Mr. Personality wrote:And how long will it take?

Probably depends upon how fast you drive. :137:
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

ba-dum-ch
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The new bridge has been great - traffic keeps moving which was the point wasn't it?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

I don't know what sort of fantasy land some of you are driving in unless you consider just getting from one side of the bridge to the other a success. I find it just backs up more downtown now. This morning at about 11am it was backed up 2 or 3 light waits all the way from Abbott to Gordon. This is Monday morning after rush hour headed into town. About the best case scenario for traffic volume. It sucks. At least queuing to get on the old bridge you were creeping forward and can see what is going on.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hardly a fantasy when my trips are taking a shorter time in comparison to a couple of months ago.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
lefty
Fledgling

Post by lefty »

Yeah traffic going through Kelowna either way is busy but it's no longer a parking lot waiting to cross the bridge. In that way it is far better. Not much you can do about busy city traffic without getting rid of the lights or adding a bypass, hopefully that will happen one day. The new bridge was never meant to fix all the lights through the city so I don't see how that is related but I have found that because traffic is more spread out and moving that the backups at the traffic lights aren't as bad as before.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:Hardly a fantasy when my trips are taking a shorter time in comparison to a couple of months ago.

As are mine without a doubt. Cateyes needs to lay off the herb.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

Cateyes wrote:This morning at about 11am it was backed up 2 or 3 light waits all the way from Abbott to Gordon. This is Monday morning after rush hour headed into town. About the best case scenario for traffic volume.
Were you on the bridge in Kelowna? I left Casa Loma in a crane truck at 10:50, and arrived at a wholesaler at Reids corner at 11:05. How is that backed up?
Model citizen......zero discipline.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

No idea what bridge Cateyes is taking, but it sure as hell ain't the new one!

I've never waited to get on the bridge. Ever.

Then again I drive up abbott since I work down Gordon.. Never take the highway across anyway! But now it doesn't back up to Prospera Place on Water St! Hell, it doesn't even back up ONE BLOCK!.

And morning traffic coming in only slows for those damn pedestrians crossing at Abbott. I think we need a pedestrian overpass there.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

GoStumpy wrote:No idea what bridge Cateyes is taking, but it sure as hell ain't the new one!

I've never waited to get on the bridge. Ever.

Then again I drive up abbott since I work down Gordon.. Never take the highway across anyway! But now it doesn't back up to Prospera Place on Water St! Hell, it doesn't even back up ONE BLOCK!.

And morning traffic coming in only slows for those damn pedestrians crossing at Abbott. I think we need a pedestrian overpass there.

I'm talking the bridge that does not have exits half way across so I fail to see how "getting across the bridge faster" is an improvement if you still have to run the hwy 97 13 light gauntlet.

If you are driving from Casa Loma to Abbott street and back you opinion is irrelevant. I am talking about the 99% of people who do not.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

kingsandman wrote:
Cateyes wrote:This morning at about 11am it was backed up 2 or 3 light waits all the way from Abbott to Gordon. This is Monday morning after rush hour headed into town. About the best case scenario for traffic volume.
Were you on the bridge in Kelowna? I left Casa Loma in a crane truck at 10:50, and arrived at a wholesaler at Reids corner at 11:05. How is that backed up?

I call BS. If your talking Sexsmith rd that is nearly impossible even at 4am on a Sunday with all greens and the only way you will hit all greens if you go 50km/h the whole way. I was in the traffic at exactly that time and It took me about 30minutes from downtown to Hwy33 so who are you trying to kid?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”