A day in the life of a FLAGGER/TCP

Home of the traffic rant.
andrea18

Re: A day in the life of a FLAGGER/TCP

Post by andrea18 »

netfreak wrote:
andrea18 wrote:you dont expect people to drive on the wrong side of the road for no reason.

You haven't been in Kelowna long enough then.

Its not just Kelowna it happens everywhere! :bump:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Flaggers - cell phone-talking chain smoking alternative to aluminum poles.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Flaggers - cell phone-talking chain smoking alternative to aluminum poles.

lol well I dont smoke and I dont talk on the cell phone but I know just about everyone thats has a job does it at their work place. The differnce is they get breaks to do that TCP's dont. Its because we are visable to eveyone and of course everyone feels it is their job to comment on how we conduct ourselves at work. Try paying more attention to what you should be doing while driving through a work zone? It maybe if you did you wouldnt have time to notcie because you are too busy doing what you should be doing while driving slow through the work zone. But seriously it really annoys me when I see them on the cell phone or smoking on the road. It would be better for our image if they went off to the side and had a smoke, or stepped aside to make a call etc......
We are in the public eye all the time and we get enough bad press and that doesnt do us any good.

Thanks for your time.
:sunshine:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Saw a flagger almost get run over a week or two ago. The line of cars I was in got waved through; it was a long line. The flagger switched back to stop our side just as I was approaching. I got waved through, and the person behind me was clearly signalled to stop, as the flagger walked up behind me. Well, the guy gunned it. Flagger had to jump out of the way & I don't know how he didn't get hit. The driver also almost went in the ditch, in his efforts to squeak by while hammering the gas. I slowed right down to a crawl, making sure everyone got a good look at his plates. I got the # as well, and phoned it in later. No idea what became of it though. This was on Benvoulin between Casorso & KLO. Two-tone maroon & grey minivan.

Idiot.
Your bias suits you.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I find that most flaggers out there do a great job, we've got one up here in Vernon (you know who your are ;) ) and she's the absolute best. There are ones who don't have a clue what they're doing, but I respect them regardless, and not just for their safety, but also for the safety of the crews working.

The last couple of years in Vernon have been extremely frustrating with the slow progress of road maintanence crews and we've had detours that went detours, but still, theres no excuse for getting frustrated at the flaggers and completely ignoring their instructions, its better to get frustrated at the contracting companies who stretch the projects out since the housing market is in the pooper.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

:castanet: Dizzy1. Are you referring to the all too happy flagger who has a huge smile on her face all day. If this is who you mean, she rocks.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

Woodenhead wrote:Saw a flagger almost get run over a week or two ago. The line of cars I was in got waved through; it was a long line. The flagger switched back to stop our side just as I was approaching. I got waved through, and the person behind me was clearly signalled to stop, as the flagger walked up behind me. Well, the guy gunned it. Flagger had to jump out of the way & I don't know how he didn't get hit. The driver also almost went in the ditch, in his efforts to squeak by while hammering the gas. I slowed right down to a crawl, making sure everyone got a good look at his plates. I got the # as well, and phoned it in later. No idea what became of it though. This was on Benvoulin between Casorso & KLO. Two-tone maroon & grey minivan.

Idiot.

Wow thank you woodenhead ...so many people just keep on driving dont even give a care if we were almost killed or not. That unfortunately happens all the time. Everyone trying not to be the last one and get through. Some people think if they drive fast we will let them go but that is the opposite actually. And we have a time limit believe me on how long we can hold people with the exception of safety first of course. We dont look at the person driving to decide oh I think he/she is angry I will hold them longer. But believe me if someone is ignorant about their waiting time they could wait a little longer, but then thats just some flaggers. Most just ignore the angry people unless they try to run us over. There isalways a reason to send the amount of traffic we do and there is always a reason why we stop the traffic and it might not always be obvious to the driver so unfortunately for us thats a good reason the traffic gets mad. Oh dear me if I got a penny for every time someone said" there is no reason to stop me" I would be a wealthy women.
Thanks again for doig something that is more than most would do.

Thank you for your time

Andy :sunshine:
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

Dizzy1 wrote:I find that most flaggers out there do a great job, we've got one up here in Vernon (you know who your are ;) ) and she's the absolute best. There are ones who don't have a clue what they're doing, but I respect them regardless, and not just for their safety, but also for the safety of the crews working.

The last couple of years in Vernon have been extremely frustrating with the slow progress of road maintanence crews and we've had detours that went detours, but still, theres no excuse for getting frustrated at the flaggers and completely ignoring their instructions, its better to get frustrated at the contracting companies who stretch the projects out since the housing market is in the pooper.

:dyinglaughing:
So true omg thats exactly it. We have no control over the detours,road closures etc...... half the time we dont even get any information or communication at all. That would be why we look like we dont have a clue out there its because we get no information! So try doing a job out in the traffic when you havent been told anything or the crew simply knows nothing and are flying by the seat of their pants too. Ya good times! Some of us can figure it out but some just cant and thats not saying its their fault. Our job is the traffic not the construction and we need to know what is coming and what is going before it gets there or before it leaves. Traffic doesnt stop on a dime unless it has hit you!
Believe me we just want to do a good job and get everyone home safe but we do need everyone to cooperate a little better including the crew and the public.

Thanks for your time

Andy
shrory
Fledgling

Post by shrory »

if I find the time I will try and post some vids of flaggers, I have seen some of them texting whilst holding up the Slow or Stop sign, with no clue of whats going on around them, on the cell phone, or with the flag inbetween slow and stop.

I always try and make eye contact, and dont always trust them when they say proceed, nearly been hit acouple of time when a backhoe has comeback with no warning.

However, having had my *bleep*, we cannot tar everyone with the same brush
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

shrory wrote:if I find the time I will try and post some vids of flaggers, I have seen some of them texting whilst holding up the Slow or Stop sign, with no clue of whats going on around them, on the cell phone, or with the flag inbetween slow and stop.

I always try and make eye contact, and dont always trust them when they say proceed, nearly been hit acouple of time when a backhoe has comeback with no warning.

However, having had my *bleep*, we cannot tar everyone with the same brush

well its like this......even if we had the traffic on stop/slow the equipment operators sometimes do what ever they feel like and pop out regardless if we have the traffic going or not. It frustrates the hell out of you when that happens because yes it looks like it is our fault. Thats why the traffic is to go slow so you can stop in time if something like that happens. We can only do so much. I just don't sweat the small stuff NO HARM NO FOWL! Just drive slow when proceeding through thats the safest way to get by safely.

Thanks for your time

Andy
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Andy
check yor PM
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

old-bushman wrote:Andy
check yor PM

What do you mean by my PM?????????????
:137:
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Andrea, I have a question for you, if you don't mind.

I often drive slower vehicles, and really like it when I am the last car let through, that way, for a while at least, No one is on my tail.

I sometimes pull aside just before the flagger after going through the construction area & let all the other vehicles go by. I do this only where it is safe to do, usually just after the lane switch. Do you flagger folk mind me doing this?. I only do it when the flagger can see me, so that I don't screw up the last vehicle you are expecting through. I do get some funny looks, until the flagger realizes what I am doing.
We're lost but we're making good time.
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

Well like you said it does make a difference if you are past the work zone safely true but it is important to stay in line with the rest of the traffic flowing through because we cant always see the end of a traffic line and it has happened that a flagger has sent traffic because there was a gap between the traffic and the last vehicle. Also sometimes the crew might think the last car has gone by and they might pop out into the traffic only to realize there was still another vehicle coming up slower than the rest. Im not saying this is right I am only saying that to go through safely stay with the flow of the traffic going through as close as safely possible just to avoid any mishaps. that is a good question though and if you need to pull over and let the traffic go by you then so be it as long as you are out of the work zone so you avoid adding any obstruction.

Thanks for your time

Andrea
twitch2782

Post by twitch2782 »

This is how I see it, you decide one day you wanna be a TCP, so you take the two day course, pass the open book test, and the extremely easy on road practicum and become a certified TCP. You get a job with a flagging company or construction company and this is where 90% of your actual training comes from, and all of a sudden you become an expert on how traffic behaves or should behave. Many flaggers compare their job to other very dangerous jobs, military, scaling, blasting.....etc. the truth, Hell yes it's a dangerous job, but if you do it properly and you don't pick up the bad habits taught to you by the person training you, the job can be done safely. Your equipment works for you, you don't work for it. As a flagger you must be aware of all the dangers of your site, traffic flow, traffic speed, equipment on site and the frame of mind of the general public, as flaggers you need to mindful of the idea that everyone has a story. May it be they are late for work, forgot an appointment they needed to go to, all the way to the other scale, they just lost a loved one, home, or received horrible news personally. But how can you know that by looking at a car driving towards your construction site?? You cannot, so you be mindful that everyone has a story. When someone yells at you about having to stop or how inconvenienced they are, don't yell back, they can't argue with themselves. Apologize for the inconvenience and wish them a good day. SMILE at someone. It's not a fight worth fighting. The odds are stacked in their favor, 1500-10000 lb car versus your 8.9lb paddle. Not a fair fight, you will lose. You chose to do the job, so do it. And properly, don't turn you back to traffic, don't stop people unreasonably and definitely don't argue. Yes the job is dangerous and there are some seriously bad/dangerous drivers out there. Distracted drivers cause accidents but remember so can distracted workers. Traffic remember that flaggers want to go home too. At the end of the day they are travelling public also. Public, be mindful that flaggers stand for long periods of time often with no breaks and under extreme weather conditions. Just like you, they get distracted too. It's human to make mistakes, Flagging is a job of great responsibility and when there are no incidents it was a great day, it's a sad day when the opposite is true. Having been on both sides of the fence on a daily basis I fully understand the frustration from both points of view. At the end of the day we ALL want to go home with no mishaps. I Love going to work everyday, I love my job,I take pride in the work I do and yes I've had some serious close calls, some at the fault of others and I can admit that a couple of times it's been at my own. Smile, show compassion for both sides and show an understanding of equality. Have a good day everyone.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”