A day in the life of a FLAGGER/TCP

Home of the traffic rant.
andrea18

A day in the life of a FLAGGER/TCP

Post by andrea18 »

So much to say about traffic when you are a Flagger. This forum is to invite flaggers to talk about their day out on the road here in Kelowna, share your experiences, some good, some funny, some scary and yes some BAD.

Today I was almost taken out by an old man not paying attention to where he was driving. He drove into the construction site speeding but good thing I turned to my left just when I did, in time to stop him. Dude didn't even realize what he could have done if I had taken a spilt second more to look to my left again. And he got angry at me for making him stop and drive out of the SAFETY ZONE and carry on his way.

Its like this: We are all someones sister, daughter, mother, brother, son or father at the end of the day we just want to go home too. It takes about 4 to 6 seconds to drive through most construction sites doing 30 k, it wont kill you to slow down but it will kill us if you don't.
Last edited by andrea18 on Feb 1st, 2011, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Re: A day in the life of a FLAGGER/TCP

Post by grumpydigger »

I worked heavy equipment on dozens of road crews over the years some of the flaggers where good , some were totally clueless and acted confused when confronted with even the smallest amounts of traffic........and complained how dangours they thought the job was..............You dont have to make things more difficult then they really are to make your job seem more important.....with the hundreds of projects that go on in BC and CANADA their is a very very small amount of injures to flag people.....................
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

According to some flaggers, their job is more dangerous than Marines' in Iraq.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Major Perfect wrote:According to some flaggers, their job is more dangerous than Marines' in Iraq.

I am guessing those are the ones with a cigarette in one hand, a cell phone in the other and the stop/slow sign leaning up against their car.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

I like when you pull up and the flagger is talking on a phone not paying attention to the fact that the sign is sideways and I have no idea what he/she wants me to do.
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

Ahh yes flagging a wonderful job where your paychecks bounce repetitively, your boss is a b.... and people try to run you over.

I did the job for 2 months until i got sick of harassing an unnamed company to actually pay me my paychecks instead of giving me checks that bounced.

Then when I quit she withheld my last 300.00 for the 'course' she ran and said she would pay for. Im sure she needed the 300.00 more than me though.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

zzontar wrote:I've got a question... any flaggers out there that ever had to hold a.... um... flag?

Well actually the flag is just the term they came up with. We are Tcp Traffic Control Personel. And its really interesting to see just how many people have such disrespect for a TCP/Flagger. True some are not all grade students....True not all are what you think should be working as a TCP/Flagger. But in all professions there are more people that SHOULD not be doing what they do. That is for sure. Most people in kelowna got their job from knowing someone not on skill or experience. That is the raw truth that no one wants to speak of.

And yes if you were to take the number of TCP/Flaggers injured fatally compared to a MARINE in where ever the numbers are low. At the same time is it because the TCP are able to think fast , move quick and use their communication skills to get out of the way of a vehcile with a driver NOT paying attention of the danger zone or talk to an angry driver who does not want to wait 2 seconds till traffic to flow again?
Well I do agree that yes there are great people to work with in all professions and there are really bad ones. this does make it hard for the good ones to be effected and respected because we are in the public eye and under scrutiny more than the polititions!
We dont get any thanks, appreciation, consideration or competative pay and most of the companies don't pay at all or are inconsistent. And then we get laid off for the Winter and have to fight for EI that doesnt come until we are back to work anyways.
Understand that we provide safety to the road you have to travel, we deal with angry people, stupid people, inconsiderate people, rude people, violent people, drug people, drunk people, elderly people and dangerous people all day every second of the day. We dont get breaks not even to use the facilities most of the time we are on a job. We eat while standing and watching for anyone trying to sneak by us while we take a bite or a drink while holding our paddle. We stand in the same spot for hours under extreme weather conditions or we are moving with traffic or equipement. We get heat stroke, sun stroke, dust and other material in our eye's(yes with goggles on) and frost bite in winter.
I have worked doing this job on my days off while working as a Correctional Officer on the coast. I now am doing this fulltime in kelowna and seriously wondering why! I have to say 'that the criminals of this Country while incarcerated for what ever crime they committed show more respect and have a better attitude and behaviour then people out on the streets in the community of Kelowna!' I am discusted by the attitude and treatment this community has displayed towards people just doing their job by trying to keep the public safe during an obvious frustrating situation such as road improvement, an accident or any delay on the road due to whatever! This is suppose to be the California of Canada, should we not be happy? I mean seriously why is everyone in such a hurry to go everywhere and any time of day? Why is everyone so angry?Get your *bleep* up earlier or prepare a little more so you dont have to take your frustration out on the people in the community just trying to do their job. It is not our fault we are not the cause of your disruption! There is a reason we are there and it has nothing to do with us. We provide a service to the contractor who ever that is and for what ever reason they have for interupting traffic and that is to keep the crew working safe and to keep the public safe. Please keep that in mind next time you come to a construction zone. And ask us a question if it is possible but not while we are in the middle of an intersection trying to keep the traffic flowing. We only want the traffic to flow as smooth as possible we are not there to annoy the public. When the signs are out slow down so you can drive in the right direction. Stop 2 to 3 car lengths from us, because if you are hit from behind we have no protection at least with some space we have time to jump out of the way. And when you come to a stop dont stop on the other side of the road, you dont do that at a stop sign so why do it with our stop sign out? We need your help in paying attention to do our job well. So next time you see a TCP/Flagger standing looking the other way for a second wait because we will look back at you. We have to look in all directions at all times so give us a second to do so. And the next time you think we are not doing our job and standing against a vehicle, understand its probably because we havent had a break in 8 hrs or more. We are only human and yes we do have degrees or are graduates but some of us may just be a student working to pay for school or we could be a single Mom working to feed her family or a man who has had no luck finding a job because there is not much out there. Slow down and smile we are working with you to make the inconvenience as minimal as possible.

Thank you for taking the time
Andy
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

gardengirl wrote:
Major Perfect wrote:According to some flaggers, their job is more dangerous than Marines' in Iraq.

I am guessing those are the ones with a cigarette in one hand, a cell phone in the other and the stop/slow sign leaning up against their car.

To clearify....I dont smoke and I have never leaned up against a car or any vehicle while doing my job. I have seen this happen but have ypou taken this into consideration: Working hours on end under all weather conditions NO washroom breaks No lunch break or not even someone asking if you are ok or need a break? That is the reality of TCP. Most jobs mean we don't get the luxury of any kind of break. Sometimes its amazing to have a blue room nearby. Im not saying it is the right way to work but it is the fact of what our job details. Yes there are some days you get a break but they are few and far between. Do you get to go to work and sit at your desk all day for 8 up to 12 or 14 hours and not get up? Try it for 4 hours and see how your body feels after that exerience. I dont walk by your desk and say ' Oh look how easy that looks or how dare you stand up to stretch for a moment?'
I would be more inclind to ask if you needed a break or need anything? its such a myth that we have the easiest job and we do nothing. That is the opposite. Take last year I did the traffic management for the Gordon Bridge. I was the sole TCP, first aid and safety officer on the project. When I wasnt at Cook road or Lexington directing traffic while cranes,dumptrucks or other contractors came in with their equipement I was on the packer,the rock truck or anything else that the crew needed help with. I was in the ditch digging or in the office cleaning or doing paper work for the injuries that happened. So please next time you see a TCP/Flagger looking like they are doing nothing remember not all is as you see for that moment. So much you dont see that we do on a daily basis. And when we get the chance to sit or lean or heaven forbid we have a smoke or eat our sandwich we take it. So many angry people in this town of Kelowna. So many people ready to be judge and jury!
Spend that energy doing something other than critising others and take a look at what you are doing.
Thanks for your time

Andy
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

Its funny how I started this blog for fellow Tcp's/flagger's to vent about their trials and tribulations of their daily job. Talk about the silly things that happend for the day or vent about a near miss. Or even comment on someone in the public that was actually considerate and kind and how that one person made our day or even our week!
But instead I see more people demeaning the job we do. Its interesting to see how quick people are to judge a job they are not doing either because they cant' or choose not to. Imagine what it would be like if the public was able to come to your place of work and watch and critisise you every second of the day. And keep it in mind you may go take a break, you may go use the facilities and you may eat lunch while sitting down. And imagine you get to go home after 7.5 or 8 hours we on the other hand get to stay for an additional 2 to 4 hours of non interupted work. HMMMMMM imagine that.
This is exactly the attitude we have to deal with every day and all we want to do is keep traffic flowing as smoothly as possible. We don't enjoy stoping people for the sake of it, its about what we have to do. If you think you dont see any reason for it beleive me there is. What if you drive through the jobsite and a crew member jumping out of the ditch looses his balance and falls into the line of your vehicle? If you are going to fast he gets hit but if you are driving slow enough you can stop and all is safe. It only takes seconds to drive safely through and in hand it only takes seconds to have an accident.
Thanks for your time
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

mrj222 wrote:Ahh yes flagging a wonderful job where your paychecks bounce repetitively, your boss is a b.... and people try to run you over.

I did the job for 2 months until i got sick of harassing an unnamed company to actually pay me my paychecks instead of giving me checks that bounced.

Then when I quit she withheld my last 300.00 for the 'course' she ran and said she would pay for. Im sure she needed the 300.00 more than me though.

:ohmygod: have you seen just how many people on here have so much to say about what we do? And so judgmental when they have no clue as to what our job actually intails!
Please submit more of your experiences

Thank you for your time

Andy
cs63

Post by cs63 »

as a long term career flagger I have seen many things I would rather forget,Yes many Tcp seem to think they do not have to do much and that they can slack off and do as little as possible and YES it makes us all look bad But I am proud to say that I have worked with many tcp over the years and Most of them actually do care and they are just as interested in keeping the motoring public moving as you are when you are in your lexus or bmw driving We dont care what you do for a living or what you drive Your need to get where you are going Doesnt give you the right to be Rude abusive or disrespectful.Where I come from my parents at a early age taught me better than that and I am so sick and tired of people thinking that they have a right to put my life,my partners or my crews life or anyone else in danger.When did we become as a society so un caring callous and down right cold that the human life became worthless?
EVERYONE on the road deserves to get home safe,Get the hell off your cell phone or texting or what ever you are doing that takes your focus off the road from yelling at your kids to fighting with your loved oneRemember this golden rule.
I dont care who you are If you hit and injure or god forbid KILL someone You have to live with that FOREVER there are no refunds or returns in life you cant make it all better with money or a Sorry and The memory of you being to blame doesnt go away with time YOU OWN IT FOREVER.So the next time you get behind the wheel remember its a privilge NOT A RIGHT.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Simmer down, dont get your flags in a knott. Like everything there is good and bad.
xlauvawke
Board Meister

Post by xlauvawke »

I pity flaggers because they have to stand around outside during all seasons. That's pretty much my opinion on flaggers. They are getting paid (for the most part) to do a job that needs to be done by somebody and everybody needs a paycheck.
My name is John, my opinion is my own and no other.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

andrea18 wrote:[

And yes if you were to take the number of TCP/Flaggers injured fatally compared to a MARINE in where ever the numbers are low. At the same time is it because the TCP are able to think fast , move quick and use their communication skills to get out of the way of a vehcile with a driver NOT paying attention of the danger zone or talk to an angry driver who does not want to wait 2 seconds till traffic to flow again?

Andy

I believe the U.S. Marine Corps has lost upward of 2,000 Marines in the last few years, whereas B.C. TCP have lost 2 that I can recall. It's such a shame that all of those Marines didn't do a flagging course. I mean, being able to "think fast , move quick and use their communication skills to get out of the way" may have prevented their deaths in the line of duty?

Do yourself a huge favour, Andy, let's not compare or even mention the military in the same breath as TCP's and the risks they face. You are not even in the same ball park!!
andrea18

Post by andrea18 »

Born_again wrote:
andrea18 wrote:[

Andy

Well actually I didnt start the comparrison it was you! And there has been more than 2 deaths to say the least for your knowledge of the subject. You can go on to worksafe bc and see the actual number and you would be amazed. As I am sure you must have all the time in the world to pass judgment on facts or a subject you know nothing of. Perhaps you need to take a course in anything that will take you other than spending time putting your bias oppinion where it has no place. This forum was designed for TCP/Flaggers to come and share their daily experiences be it good or not so good. It is not meant for small minded individuals such as your self to use to voice your opinion in a manner of that you have no knowledge of. I did not compare the marines to our job and I dont specifically care who did. Your comment was inapproriate to the topic at hand. So please find some other forum to vent yoyur frustrations out in that pertains to the topic at hand.
Have a nice day and please don't visit this forum again I will deny your submittion.

Andy
Last edited by andrea18 on Feb 1st, 2011, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”