Motorcycles

Home of the traffic rant.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Re: Motorcycles

Post by justmyopinion »

LOL....I only bought leather because I was told it's safer for pavement sliding....
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

justmyopinion wrote:LOL....I only bought leather because I was told it's safer for pavement sliding....

Sort of. Good motorcycle leathers (meaning strong leathers, not plush leathers) will indeed last longer skidding on the pavement. However, you won't skid *that* much. You'll also find that most leathers typically don't have armour. Leather doesn't absorb shock any better than textiles - so you might consider picking up something to protect at least your spine and shoulders.

I used to wear leather. What I found is: It's not warm enough for a cold day, it's not cool enough for a hot day, it will act like a sponge in even the mildest of rainshowers (or sweat) and takes forever to dry. It's bulky, it's heavy, and putting rain gear on over top makes it feel even worse. When you do finally hit the pavement, you will find that you won't actually skid as much as you think. There's impact, bouncing, and rolling involved. Nothing that leather offers an advantage, and everything that should be mitigated with armour. I have a textile jacket (my fall/winter jacket, actually) that survived quite nicely through an impact from two years ago. You'd be hard pressed to notice the minor scuffs on it.

I can carry a spare set of jacket and pants, plus full rain gear with my textiles... and still have room to pack up a weekend's worth of clothing for a trip.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Awesome info Drew, thank you! I was told a few of those things about leather. I made sure to buy real, motorcycle approved leather and have treated it with weatherproofing oil. It moves well and is designed with reinforced knees (for easy bending) and is also lined for comfort. I have thought about the armour and have looked into armour that is actually attached to leggings (I wear leggings under my leather anyway) and will be ordering that to wear underneath when need be. I have to admit, I do have a textile jacket as well (full of armour) and a hoodie with armour that I wear in town. I also have to admit that I always wore a bit of a skull cap on the cruiser (not when I was driving but when I was a passenger) and am feeling much safer with a full face :) I think the thing I have the most trouble with is gloves. I have VERY small hands and find that most thick, protective gloves are hard for me to wear. Because my fingers are so small, it almost like the fingers are made completely of the seams, making it very hard to feel what I'm doing....I had bought a pair of baseball gloves (leather) last year that seem better, and this year bought a pair of fingerless (they are great but worry me if I were to skid)....any suggestions?
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Most glove manufacturers have women specific models. The problem is that you really have to try them on and ordering online is hit and miss. Kelowna is not the best place to find a large selection. I usually order from http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/ju ... men/gloves The link goes to the womens glove page. Motorcycle gear is duty-free and these guys are great to deal with. Canadian orders no problem. Just follow their measuring guide or e-mail them with your concerns and they will help you out.
I birn quil I se
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Wow! thanks Randall.....was going to take a peek in Vancouver this weekend while we're there but if I don't have any luck I'll contact them.....thanks again!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

justmyopinion wrote:Wow! thanks Randall.....was going to take a peek in Vancouver this weekend while we're there but if I don't have any luck I'll contact them.....thanks again!

Motorcyclegear.com is awesome (kudos to Randall for pointing it out). Stop at Holeshot just off 200th in langley if you want large selection. In Kelowna, go to Honda Powerhouse and talk to Kirsten. You might also check out my new favourite place down here - second gear motorsports. They're like the website mentioned by Randall - they sell end-run (last year's) goods.

As for gloves - you don't need much. There should be protection on the palm and wrist area. You can also get ones with additional armour over the knuckles and joints - but that's really mostly a gimmick. It's your palms that will take the brunt of the blow if you outstretch your hands mid-fall. if you catch your fingers at all, they *will* break like twigs regardless of the amount of armour in the gloves. Generally, though, that's not how people go down. Usually you'll just smack them around on the pavement - so do be sure to at least have something covering them.

Are you riding down this way? The weather is supposed to hold through to next week at least, with just a bit of a sprinkle on Thursday. It's actually quite warm - hotter than there (we were up this weekend).
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Hey Drew, thanks for this....where is second gear?

Won't be coming down this weekend, I don't think....we are making a trip to Vancouver...but possibly the next weekend. The weather sure is holding up, super happy about that because, due to how late in the season I bought my new ride, I have insurance until mid November....lol...here's hoping I can get a few rides in between now and then.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

justmyopinion wrote:Hey Drew, thanks for this....where is second gear?

Won't be coming down this weekend, I don't think....we are making a trip to Vancouver...but possibly the next weekend. The weather sure is holding up, super happy about that because, due to how late in the season I bought my new ride, I have insurance until mid November....lol...here's hoping I can get a few rides in between now and then.

Second Gear is in Coquitlam (By *down* I meant *down* where I live - which is, well, Coquitlam/Burnaby). So if you're coming to Vancouver, you'll be driving right on by. They're right around the corner from the Greyhound depot in Coquitlam. http://www.2ndgearmotorsport.com/ - just around the corner from the Brunette exit.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I have these gloves. http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=73511 They are very comfortable.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
P_J_Manning

Post by P_J_Manning »

36Drew wrote:Good motorcycle leathers (meaning strong leathers, not plush leathers) will indeed last longer skidding on the pavement. However, you won't skid *that* much.

Enough to want leather though!

36Drew wrote: You'll also find that most leathers typically don't have armour.

Wrong, Every piece of leather I have ever bought came with armour, it may not have been the best, but still better than the foam crap that came with the textile I regret buying, and no longer own.
And every piece was replaceable with better armour for a reasonable cost.

36Drew wrote: Leather doesn't absorb shock any better than textiles

Wrong again I'm afraid, textile conforms to you when you hit the ground, tends to snag on the ground, tearing, and causing you to tumble more.
Also if you do end up sliding, such as caught under the bike, textile will slip up your limbs, or the jacket will ride up, exposing your flesh to the ground.
It will also melt, I had a pair of textile pants melt from the heat of a gearbox!
Good thick leather spreads load so point of impact is reduced.
It is far more abrasive resistant, it won't ride up, and it's far better at resisting heat.

36Drew wrote:It's not warm enough for a cold day,

Wear better leathers then, I have my unvented thick leathers for a cold day, and I am never cold.

36Drew wrote:it's not cool enough for a hot day,

I wear my vented leathers on hot days, and I'm plenty cool enough.

36Drew wrote:it will act like a sponge in even the mildest of rainshowers (or sweat) and takes forever to dry.

Wrong again, treat your leather, and it wont even notice a mild rainstorm. Get good leathers with liners and no sweat problem (Not that you sweat in yours, as you said it's not warm enough :p )

36Drew wrote:It's bulky,

Only if you buy stuff that doesn't fit, or cheap rubbish.
Buy good quality fitted leather, and it's far less bulky than textile.

36Drew wrote:it's heavy,

I would hope so, but if it fits well, you wont even notice the weight.

36Drew wrote: and putting rain gear on over top makes it feel even worse.

More wrong, but see my point above about buying the right gear that fits you.

36Drew wrote:When you do finally hit the pavement, you will find that you won't actually skid as much as you think. There's impact, bouncing, and rolling involved.

Depends on the type of fall, lowsides tend to be slid, followed by more slid, and ending in some slid
Going over the top, then I agree with you, but I want to covered for all eventualities.

36Drew wrote:Nothing that leather offers an advantage, and everything that should be mitigated with armour.

Totally wrong on the leather, but kinda right about the armour, armour always helps.

If I'm riding in the heat, I wear my vented leather, and I carry (as always) my waterproofs, but I also carry the liners for my vented leathers (they can be rolled up to the size of some rolled socks) in case the weather takes a turn for the worst.
So far the only time I've ever bothered to add the liners was going over the connector, it went from 27° and sunny in Merritt, to 6° up there, and back to 25° or so in West Bank.

There is a reason all bike racers wear leathers and not textile, and there have been hundreds of comparison tests, in magazines, for TV shows, etc. and they all show that leather is far superior.
Of course you need to buy the good stuff, and make sure it fits you, a jacket that flaps at the bottom is going to be cold, and ride up in a crash, pants that are too loose are uncomfortable and will get pulled off in a crash. Stuff that's too tight will be uncomfortable and restrict your movement.

Same as buying good tyres that fit your bike, buy good leathers that fit your body. Look after them and they will last you for years.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I suppose it depends on the type of riding you do. One-piece leathers are the best for the sportbike crowd, but adventure and touring riders benefit more from the textiles, ie: Gore-tex fabrics, Aerostitch suits, etc. What's important is some level of protection over t-shirts, shorts, and sandals that seems so popular in Kelowna. It's like a day at the beach for some riders.
I birn quil I se
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Thanks for your view P_J_ - every store I asked said leather was, by far, safer but I wasn't sure if it was because they wanted me to buy theirs....I ended up buying a nice thick black leather jacket off a friend (no armour but reinforced elbows) and a pair of fitted (no pockets and crap that can hook on anything) black leather pants from a store in West Kelowna...I have treated both with mink oil and find them extremely comfortable...and they match my black bike and helmet (although I have put after-marked reflectors on my helmet, windshield, and wheel wells)...LOL

Randall T wrote:I suppose it depends on the type of riding you do. One-piece leathers are the best for the sportbike crowd, but adventure and touring riders benefit more from the textiles, ie: Gore-tex fabrics, Aerostitch suits, etc. What's important is some level of protection over t-shirts, shorts, and sandals that seems so popular in Kelowna. It's like a day at the beach for some riders.

Randall, when I see these "seasoned" bikers in their sandals and shorts I cringe... I feel like people can get a bit "relaxed" after years on a bike sometimes, and I find that more dangerous than the new riders. I like my arms and legs where they are and prefer my face without scar tissue thanks....I will always gear up to ride, always

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”