Motorcycles

Home of the traffic rant.
Fixer 166
Guru

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Fixer 166 »

A cool spot I ended up at last week.
Summer is going by quick, who's got the best motorcycle pic?
Attachments
image.jpg
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I live on the westside and work in Kelowna. I have a GMC Sierra with a V-8 5.3l engine. Gas milage isn't too bad if I drive like I'm retired with no where to go but at the end of the day, it is still a big vehicle and I only require it for work perhaps 4 - 6 times a month. I've been thinking if I park it and get a motorbike, I can downgrade my insurance coverage to save a few bucks as well as drop my monthly fuel bill from $250 to $75 - $100.

It looks like there are a number of very knowledgeable bike dudes on this thread so I am looking for some thoughts. I am thinking and dual purpose, enduro/sport-touring type of bike. Something like a Kawasaki Versys 650 or a Suzuki DR-Z400S. I have no plans for long rides, it is for commuting only and I would like to be able to have a pannier or two on it. A 650 may be too big for my intentions. I have ridden some off road bikes way back in the day so am comfortable on bikes but still a relative newbie.

Any suggestions or experiences to share?

Forgot to add - I intend to buy used.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Steve-O wrote:I live on the westside and work in Kelowna. I have a GMC Sierra with a V-8 5.3l engine. Gas milage isn't too bad if I drive like I'm retired with no where to go but at the end of the day, it is still a big vehicle and I only require it for work perhaps 4 - 6 times a month. I've been thinking if I park it and get a motorbike, I can downgrade my insurance coverage to save a few bucks as well as drop my monthly fuel bill from $250 to $75 - $100.

It looks like there are a number of very knowledgeable bike dudes on this thread so I am looking for some thoughts. I am thinking and dual purpose, enduro/sport-touring type of bike. Something like a Kawasaki Versys 650 or a Suzuki DR-Z400S. I have no plans for long rides, it is for commuting only and I would like to be able to have a pannier or two on it. A 650 may be too big for my intentions. I have ridden some off road bikes way back in the day so am comfortable on bikes but still a relative newbie.

Any suggestions or experiences to share?

Forgot to add - I intend to buy used.

If you want gas economy and cheap insurance, stay at 400cc or less. As you start jumping engine sizes, you also start jumping rate groups (basic insurance is priced entirely based on engine size) and increase the amount of fuel you'll use. ICBC's rate classes are (from http://www.icbc.com/faqs/questions/what-are-the-rate-classes):

[*]311 (111–400 cc)
[*]312 (401–750 cc)
[*]313 (751–1150 cc)
[*]314 (over 1150 cc)

Pro-tip: It's probably cheaper to insure your truck than a bike in rate group 314. My basic (before discount) is $1600/yr.

There's a lot of luggage/pannier options available for the various bikes. You'll have an easier time outfitting a small dual-sport with decent luggage than you will a small sport's bike. A luggage/pannier set isn't cheap. For a three-piece (sides + top), expect to drop about $1200 for something plastic (Givi) new. Metal (Traxx) is even pricier. The used stuff tends to hold it's price pretty good unless it's beat up.

As for what to actually suggest - it's a matter of what fits you and your riding style. The DR-Z might be a good fit, if you're after a dual-sport. I'd suggest staying away for anything sporty (Ninja/CBR/FZR,etc). They're fun to ride, but don't do luggage very well. You might also have a poke at Yamaha's and Honda's 250 dual-sport bikes. The XT250 is a fun ride, and a good fit if you have longer legs. The seats on those bikes aren't overly comfy, so hopefully you won't be riding for any length of time.

If you're considering the 650cc range - you might also have a look at the V-Strom. They're a fairly popular bike and relatively easy to find used ones around.

You might do very well to go visit the dealers and take some bikes for test rides. What fits my tastes and body might not fit yours. I think you're on the right track with the dual-sport (or adventure) for the type of use you want.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

No snow yet, heated grips on though
Attachments
image.jpg
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Fixer 166 wrote:No snow yet, heated grips on though

I moved. I don't have to worry about snow - just rain. Heated grips would be mildly useful. I do ride my bike to and from work daily, though.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Some idiot on an extra loud Harley in front of me was all over the road and couldn't shift properly. He ended up riding on the shoulder of the road so I passed him. He then angrily passed me on the left once he managed to shift. I just had to shout "Learn to ride before you spend the money on Harley gear" at the next intersection.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Ready for spring
Click on the pic for the full message
Attachments
image.jpg
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

To STeve-o. Did you ever get a motorbike
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Not yet. Moneys tight right now, so despite the savings a motorbike would give me, the upfront costs is stopping me from going ahead.

How's this for a mixed signal though: the boys at Sovereign Cycle made me an offer on a demo mtn bike I couldn't refuse so while I don't have motorbike, I do have a new mtn bike! Better yet, it was my wife's idea.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Nothin like two wheels under yer butt before you add the one with the motor on it. Hope you manage to get one before summer. Still miss mine. Not sure when I will get one again the way my life has gone with my business. Maybe when I retire.

Nice pic at Big White Fixer, you sure do keep that thing sparkling clean.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Thanks Roadster

To the Red Shadow yesterday on springfield about 4ish.
Well done my friend, well done.
I stuck my arm out the window of the truck, she was brisk.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

I got a new bike! SOOOO EXCITED! I have had cruisers for the last 5 years and last month bought my first sport. I have always liked the look of a cruiser but have never felt very confident on one, I admit, I am still fairly green at riding, but just couldn't get use to them....then I bought my first Ninja....holy crap! what a bike! I have never felt so in control of a bike, you can think these around a corner.... sooo easy to ride! It is only a 300 but it is the perfect size for me (I am, shall I say, vertically challenged, and I am flat footed on it!) For all of you out there wondering what kind is for you, try them! you might be pleasantly surprised....I am.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

justmyopinion wrote:I got a new bike! SOOOO EXCITED! I have had cruisers for the last 5 years and last month bought my first sport. I have always liked the look of a cruiser but have never felt very confident on one, I admit, I am still fairly green at riding, but just couldn't get use to them....then I bought my first Ninja....holy crap! what a bike! I have never felt so in control of a bike, you can think these around a corner.... sooo easy to ride! It is only a 300 but it is the perfect size for me (I am, shall I say, vertically challenged, and I am flat footed on it!) For all of you out there wondering what kind is for you, try them! you might be pleasantly surprised....I am.

Good choice. Lots of new bikes coming into the fray that are in the 300-500cc range. A lot of people are getting away from the bigger is better syndrome and finding the fun in smaller, lighter bikes. Nice to see the industry moving in that direction.

Enjoy your new ride!
I birn quil I se
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Thanks! I really do love it! Fun and sexy! Of course the full black leather outfit doesn't hurt either....LOL
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

justmyopinion wrote:Thanks! I really do love it! Fun and sexy! Of course the full black leather outfit doesn't hurt either....LOL

I wear textiles. They make me look frumpy. But I suppose that's because I am :(
I birn quil I se

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”