Motorcycles

Home of the traffic rant.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Fritzthecat »

Jo wrote:I started to remove the posts containing personal attacks, but it seems the problem goes back a lot further than I first thought.

Talk about motorcycles, but drop the macho 'mine's bigger than yours' taunts.

Actually his bike IS bigger, and heavier too.
What do I know? I've never done a 4 hour tour. :dyinglaughing:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

I've got 106cubic inches and 110ft lbs of torque stock. I've added a stage 1 kit so I've got a bit more pop. Weighing in at just under 650lbs I would have never guessed, guess the low center of gravity helps. Heard from a drag racing buddy that 7 lbs is equal to one horsepower to the ground. Went for a fun boot last night out to the ski hill at dusk. Good times.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Fixer 166 wrote:I've got 106cubic inches and 110ft lbs of torque stock. I've added a stage 1 kit so I've got a bit more pop. Weighing in at just under 650lbs I would have never guessed, guess the low center of gravity helps. Heard from a drag racing buddy that 7 lbs is equal to one horsepower to the ground. Went for a fun boot last night out to the ski hill at dusk. Good times.

You do realize that smaller engines will out perform larger ones when comparing output vs size? A 750 cc doesn't automatically make 50% more power than a 500 of similar design. The problem with most large V twins is you can not get increased capacity without going to a longer stroke. As most are narrow angle, you can only go so far with increasing bore. An increased bore gives the flame from combustion a greater surface area to push on while a longer stroke is like alonger lever: easy to get moving but very hard to get it going faster and faster (kind of like low gear on your pedal bike.)This translates into faster piston speed (not a good thing) and lower RPM's overall. As HP is a mathematical function of torque, an engine that spins faster will make more HP.
Now most HD owners will brag about their stroker bikes but reality is, they might have good 60 foot times on the strip but will quickly run out of steam like a big diesel truck engine. Ever notice how they DO NOT race big long stroke narrow angle V Twins in Moto GP, the fastest form of motorcycle racing? It is not a coincidence.
Most super sports are multi cylinders so they can have small, light pistons. A smaller lighter piston can be be rev'ed faster. This is exactly how Honda in the 60's with their 4 stroke RC166 was able to take on 2 strokes and win. In fact the centre pistons were bigger than the outer pistons to compensate for flex of the crankshaft! Keep in mind this was a DOHC 6 cylinder 4 stroke of 250cc. The physical sizof thehe engine internals were amazingly tiny, like a Swiss watch!

I always laugh at people who brag about their "big" engines like it makes them faster by virtue of size. They need to learn a few basics before they shoot their mouths off. But at least you keep the rest of us entertained!

RC 166 piston and rod:

Harley piston and rod:

Which one do you think will make more HP?
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Pretty quiet out at Gull lk yesterday.
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Except for the Gulls
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Well... I'm waiting in the hospital right now. Small car cut me off and hit me this evening on Rutland Rd. No idea what shape the bike is in yet, but I'm relatively good. At most some minor fractures and at least some bumps bruises and sprains.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

36Drew wrote:Well... I'm waiting in the hospital right now. Small car cut me off and hit me this evening on Rutland Rd. No idea what shape the bike is in yet, but I'm relatively good. At most some minor fractures and at least some bumps bruises and sprains.

Holy crap Drew, hope all goes quickly and yer outta there soon. Any word on charges yet, if the *bleep* was drunk or just being a jerk?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Roadster wrote:Holy crap Drew, hope all goes quickly and yer outta there soon. Any word on charges yet, if the *bleep* was drunk or just being a jerk?

I'm home now. Mostly just sprains and bruises. Left hip, left ankle, and right shoulder and hand. I have a small chip out of one of my ankle bones - figures it's the one area of my boot that's not armoured.

I was riding along Rutland Rd heading northbound, in the outside lane. Younger dude in a little white sedan had just turned left from, I think, the post office area, and was in the inside lane. He was just ahead of me (his taillights in plain view). He seemed to slow a bit and turned right sharply, as if trying to pull into the pawn shop's driveway. I braked hard, geared down, but only managed to slow to 20 or 25. My bike struck his passenger-side front quarter-panel, was pushed into the curb, and it went down leaning to the right. I did something that must have looked like a barrel roll off the bike, bounced one, and landed within 10 feet of my bike on the sidewalk. I didn't move at all and waited for the paramedics that everybody else had called (a big thanks to the bystanders!)

I haven't actually seen my bike yet - it's at Marios. I was carried off on a stretcher and taken by ambulance to the hospital. The police took my statement in the hospital and the officer said that he'll mail it out right away for me.

I'm glad that I was wearing full and proper gear. The paramedics, btw, seemed to have an easy time removing my modular helmet, although I had to walk them through undoing the chin strap. They managed to get my gear off me without destroying any of it, but my shirt and jeans that I had on underneath are toast. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, my bike is also probably toast. :(

I'll file a claim with ICBC tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm eating the dinner I didn't get to have earlier.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Man thats crappy, but we have another alive probably due to the gear, sure is nice that it takes lots of the road rash.
I hope dinner is worth waiting so long for. Take care and have a good night if you can.
And good luck with this claim thing, dont do anything before talking to some pros, the idiot needs to pay for it and by the sounds of the crash, looks like he will show as "at fault"
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Roadster wrote:Man thats crappy, but we have another alive probably due to the gear, sure is nice that it takes lots of the road rash.
I hope dinner is worth waiting so long for. Take care and have a good night if you can.
And good luck with this claim thing, dont do anything before talking to some pros, the idiot needs to pay for it and by the sounds of the crash, looks like he will show as "at fault"

Officer outright told me that his report is stating that it's 100% his fault. There was a witness right behind him/to the rear-left of me apparently that saw the whole thing as well.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Good, wishing you all the best with it,,, sorry for the loss of yer bike tho,,,
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Roadster wrote:Good, wishing you all the best with it,,, sorry for the loss of yer bike tho,,,

Thanks. I'm mourning my bike - I liked her a lot. :(
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Glad to hear there's nothing serious my friend, that's good news xo Sorry about the bike though, I guess we had our last ride of the season.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Sige wrote:Glad to hear there's nothing serious my friend, that's good news xo Sorry about the bike though, I guess we had our last ride of the season.

Thanks and thanks! I'll have something else shiny to ride next year, I'm sure.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Jeebus Drew, at least your mostly ok, prolly pretty sore today. :ohmygod:
Looking on the bright side you might be bike shopping coming up, anything in mind?

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”