Motorcycles

Home of the traffic rant.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Motorcycles

Post by Roadster »

Fritzthecat wrote:Calling me "Dude".....seriously....what are you, 19?
Your maturity level is evident. You are the kind of guy who ends up a statistic. Head the warnings and wise up.

OffRoad
I'm beginning to question your maturity level.

Enough said.

Same here, seems to be a constant attempt only to trash a great thread.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

OffRoad wrote:I'm beginning to question your maturity level.

Enough said.

Check your face I just a somebody elses nose in my busniess.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Fritzthecat wrote:Check your face I just a somebody elses nose in my busniess.

Check your English.

You post in a public place and its no longer just your business.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

So when riding in a group of two or more yours supposed to ride staggered correct? Left side, right side, and so on. Yesterday while in sylvan I see two cops riding side by side along the beach.?? Go figure.
Speaking of group rides what's your favorite hand signal?
I like the taping your head when the fuzz is around.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I could be wrong but I think it's staggered when there are more then two but I don't like that two can turn on an intersection at the same time and speed side by side, looks too dangerous to me. If I was with someone I waited till my buddy was in and then followed, then go back to side by side.

My way of riding no matter how many is staggered because I was taught to claim a lane as if I was a car and needed the whole lane to my self and I preferred the left near the line to avoid others attempting to share the lane with me.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Motorcycles are allowed to ride side-by-side in pairs in the same lane in BC - except when overtaking. They are the only vehicle allowed to do so (ie., bicycles must be single file).

From the MVA wrote:194( 10 ) Except when overtaking and passing other motorcycles, more than 2 operators of motorcycles must not operate their motorcycles side by side in the same direction in the same traffic lane.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/LOC/freeside/--%20M%20--/45_Motor%20Vehicle%20Act%20RSBC%201996%20c.%20318/00_Act/96318_05.xml#section194

It's not recommended, however, as there's no safety margin for you to avoid road obstacles. I might do it if I were in a parade, but never in uncontrolled traffic.

Fixer - Police do it a lot. They also have far more training and do continuous training/exercises to keep their skills sharp. This is Vancouver's finest showing off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDhGttB_83o

Roadie - It's not left or right, but rather a dominant position. If you're in the outside (curb) lane, then your dominant position would be left-track. If your in the inside lane, the dominant track is the right-hand position. Typically you want to be riding just left or right of the grease strip, not actually near the line. You want to keep your head from becoming an accidental target while cornering. ;) (There's lots of riders around who ride the line. It's crazy.)

Whenever I do the group rides, it's always staggered. 2 seconds behind the bike directly in front of you, one second behind the bike that's to your left/right. Keeping it tight like that keeps drivers from breaking up the group.

There's a maneuver that some do that's dubbed "the ballet". It's done often during training so that the lead rider is practicing proper lane positioning for ICBC. While some groups do continue to do it, I don't - it causes riders to cross paths of travel at intersections which in turn increases the risk of collision.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Well there ya go, thanks Drew.
I prefer to ride staggered, following the 2 sec, 1 sec rule.
Hopefully some nice weather this weekend, wouldn't mind a burn around westside rd.
Lets see some pics, nice scenery, your bikes, out on the rd.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Kinda hard to get pics on the road... but here's one while parked at the lookout in Coldstream.

Coldstream Lookout.jpg
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Nice one, looks great!
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Of course not on the grease line, and not on the center line either. Of course my riding yak isn't as technical as it used to be but once I get back on my comfort zone will come right back to me in a hurry. I sure do miss it when the weather for it hits us and I see em out there. Some day I will be back on the steel horse again. Life just hasn't been offering the time allowance I need to buy and insure one for the past few years. Hate to own it and only ride a few times a summer. Back then I road almost every day with members from our group to different towns even just for a coffee or an ice-cream or a crumpet at an old tea shop. Drumheller was an interesting spot a few times when I was in Saskatchewan as well as many other places we did more then once just for the ride. Did a few trips on the Ride For Sight as well,,,, now that was a party. Sure miss those.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Roadie - A picture being worth a thousand words...

(That assumes a 3-lane road). I think you and I are speaking the same lines, though.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Nope, I am talking the one lane road with a group as seen on the bottom of this page

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycl ... lities.htm

When we road one lane highways or one lane two way highway like this picture we road as a staggered group. If I remember right you were allowed up to seven bikes in a staggered group in Saskatchewan. You were two seconds behind the guy directly in front of you
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Well I thought you were talking general lane positioning. Generally speaking, the lead rider takes dominant position (refer to previous diagram). Then the group should line up like this:

Of course, if the road becomes narrow or twisty, it's prudent to go single-file, two or more seconds in between riders.

There's no legal limit to the number or riders in a group, although once the group gets beyond 6 or 7 riders it's a little unwieldy to control and should probably be split into to distinct groups.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

I managed to get a few turns in.
Attachments
image.jpg
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

36Drew wrote:Kinda hard to get pics on the road... but here's one while parked at the lookout in Coldstream.

Coldstream Lookout.jpg

Damn that ST1300 is a nice ride.
Was looking at a new one the other day but it violates my no "new" motorcycle rule and my wife would kill me.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”