Motorcycles

Home of the traffic rant.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Motorcycles

Post by 36Drew »

Fixer 166 wrote:Jeebus Drew, at least your mostly ok, prolly pretty sore today. :ohmygod:
Looking on the bright side you might be bike shopping coming up, anything in mind?

Incredibly sore, but landing on the sidewalk will do that.

Yeah - I'm thinking I might trade over to a sports touring bike... Something like an FJR1300 or ST1300. I loved my old bike, but if I'm being forced to shop then i might as well get into something a little different 'cuz I'll never find a way to outright replace what I had.

I know I've posted it before, but not sure where so here she is:

I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

Drew, Sorry to hear about the boo boo, guess if it can happen to you, can happen to anyone. I would consider you one of the more care full guys out there. Gonna stick to yamaha? At least go sit on a victory, might surprise you. I know what you mean though, when you find something that works for you stick with it.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Thanks emc. Not sure what I'll wind up with yet, but will definitely keep my options open. Sounds like I have every excuse to test-ride come spring 2013. I'll check out Victory, for sure. I have been leaning towards the sport-touring bikes... FJR1300 or ST1300 class bikes - but I'm not at all discounting the good 'ol boulevard-style cruiser yet.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

36Drew, good to hear you're on the mend. I'm looking for a new ride for next year too. Probably a Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 of a 1200 Sport if I can find one.

I threw the chain on my Norton last week! Guess that's what happens when you play the odds and ignore your chain. 2 hours later in a parking lot I was good to go.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

So sorry to hear of your bad luck 36drew, glad you're okay. I see you're thinking sport bike. Boo hiss. I went from a Vulcan to a Victory Kingpin. Have you ridden a Victory? Sweet! Anyway, hate to see a bike wrecked but glad you were not.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Thanks for the well-wishes guys. JWatson - I'm not actually set on what I'm after for my next ride yet. I am keeping my options open for sure and will be test-riding anything and everything under the sun come April next year. I am not actually interested in a sports bike but could get into a sports-touring, which is actually a misnomer. They're a standard-style bike, you sit somewhat upright. I'm not a Harley fan at all so have no interest in them. Not quite sure I can dig the lines on the victories either, but they are nicely built bikes. I do kinda dig the Triumphs and might have a look at them. I find BMW's a little overpriced...

In the event that I do go from a cruiser to a touring bike, I'll have a touring pack to donate to somebody. Won't know for 5 months yet but will let y'all know.

Oh - if anybody's interested, my wife has a set of semi-rigid saddlebags with a zip-off yoke. They're brand new, never used or mounted. I was going to fashion a bracket for them until I discovered that her left shock mounts out a good inch-and-half further than her right shock, making the hard-mounting look beyond stupid. I need to get a set with shock cutouts. These ones were the $160 variety from Open Road. They're taking up space right now.... please help me reclaim it.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

@ Drew ... um yeah, thanks so much for telling me about Strykers :S OMG they're awesome...now I'm coveting.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

How's the ridin in the Valley?
I've been out a bunch this set off, didn't break the 4hr record though. :sillygrin:

Drew how's the healin?
Hey I found a bike that is worth a look. Looks like a nice riding position and tons of hop.
This looks like a fun bike to ride.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3XX1Ei3nss
Hopefully the link works, dam iPad.
Anyways check out the B King.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

The B King is a wonderful bargain. I found it a bit wide in the seat, but add sme throw over soft bags and a tank bag and you're good to go, even for a whole 4 hour tour.

There are many bargains out there if you don't mind owning a used bike. I'm looking at Moto Guzzi's right now. 4-5 year old bikes wiht under 10,000km for 1/3 of what they were new. Bargain! Frees up some cash to add what ever you want.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Totally agree on buying something slightly older - let somebody else ride off the depreciation. I'm still totally undecided on what I'll replace my ride with yet. I don't even know if ICBC is going to fix or write-off my current beastie - they've yet to pull her from the salvage yard. If I can get pics out of the deal, I'll post 'em.

I'm kinda sorta leaning towards something like an FJR. I like the lines on the Concours but the luggage just doesn't quite fit the lines. I could dig the ST1300 as well - test-rode one this summer and it was definitely a good ride. I have heard they have a speed warble, though - although I think one would be seriously violating the speed limit to encounter it... ;)

HD is definitely out for me (Sorry to any HD lovers - I just don't like 'em). At this point, assuming my bike is a write-off, I've resigned to spending the first bit of next season test-riding just about anything I can get my hands on until something grabs my attention.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

36Drew wrote:Totally agree on buying something slightly older - let somebody else ride off the depreciation. I'm still totally undecided on what I'll replace my ride with yet. I don't even know if ICBC is going to fix or write-off my current beastie - they've yet to pull her from the salvage yard. If I can get pics out of the deal, I'll post 'em.

I'm kinda sorta leaning towards something like an FJR. I like the lines on the Concours but the luggage just doesn't quite fit the lines. I could dig the ST1300 as well - test-rode one this summer and it was definitely a good ride. I have heard they have a speed warble, though - although I think one would be seriously violating the speed limit to encounter it... ;)

HD is definitely out for me (Sorry to any HD lovers - I just don't like 'em). At this point, assuming my bike is a write-off, I've resigned to spending the first bit of next season test-riding just about anything I can get my hands on until something grabs my attention.

I rode a couple of FJR's and they had issues. The clutch has no feel and no travel, it was like an don/off button. They get SUPER hot! I rode these bikes in spring and fall and mynuts were cooking! Imagine Hyw 97 in the middle of summer. The most disturbing thing was the one bike would stall out for no reason. I would avoid them.
ST1300 is a much better bike. More torque, nicer ride and better overall feel of quality. Shaft drive V4 can't be beat for sport touring!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Still don't have pics of my banged up bike - don't even think ICBC has looked at it yet. Found the other car and snapped a pic of it. Pixelated the background to remove any identifying landscape, but wowsers... That's a zinger of a dent in this little Audi...

Other Car Cropped.jpg
Last edited by 36Drew on Sep 22nd, 2012, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Good shot Drew,,, I bet you feel like one lucky man when you look at those dents. That shot is a keeper for your files,,, good work.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Couple of bike pics forwarded by ICBC. If you look closely at the first one, you can make out the dents in the tank. There's no scratches there, so those are most likely from body impact. Second pic shows the front-end. The neck is actually bent, so there's fatal frame damage.

P605275-5#2.jpg

P605275-5#5.jpg
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Perusing ads looking for my new ride, spotted this pic:

Uhmmm - dude's obviously a fair-weather rider only, otherwise he'd kill himself with any amount of water on the road.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”