Bike Safe BC

Home of the traffic rant.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Bike Safe BC

Post by Loed »

Mtn Biker wrote: Unless you ride a bike, often, in Kelowna, you haven’t much to say.

I agree with the breadth of your post, but this part here.

Their voice is important, abeit quite small. It helps US(bikers) to be more aware of ourselves while riding, knowing what to look out for from the staggering cattle on the walkways. It also gives us a better idea of where things need to be improved. These people just need to stop being so angry at the world around them all the time and express themselves a little better.

Again, wider, more accommodating sidewalks would do wonders, like they do along Hwy 33.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Kelowna has the most amount of bike lanes for its size in North America. We are *very* lucky here.

But it just goes to show that North America is built for CARS, because even here in cyclist utopia there are bad parts of town and sketchy roads.

I was out in Ontario this summer and biking out there is Russian Roulette. The city which I visited was debating whether or not to even put in bike lanes - many local residents felt they were a waste judging by the letters in the local paper.
Last edited by Bagotricks on Sep 20th, 2011, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyrippon

Post by tonyrippon »

When I was in Elementary school. Myself, along with others, did a cycling test that taught us the rules of the road, that helped us to ride safe and look out for others. The school temporarily painted a road on the school playground and we had to cycle round the road system demonstrating good maneuvers and signals.There was a general rad safety test to which you had to pass in order to get you certificate. This stood myself and others in good stead for biking to school, playing in the streets, having a "be safe, Be seen" mentality and already having the road sense for when, I eventually got driving. I think that test stayed in my mind up until now. Where as a driver I look out for two wheelers.
I wonder if the guys that got tangle up with some of the cyclists mentioned on this forum had done anything similar as children. Maybe they would be just a little bit more aware.

I saw some more idiocy today. Guy on a motorized scooter riding the wrong way down water street to the Bernard lights then rode up the sidewalk and sat his bike outside the bank.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Interesting how I got to be the topic of the conversation. Amazing how one little comment about rude cyclists brings out a knee jerk reaction.
Mtn Biker wrote:Ditto. Fancy and her law abiding ways get really boring and tiresome. Clearly they have never rode a bike or understand what you or I do or why we choose a bike instead of a car. Being painted by closed narrow minded b's ideas of what is safe or what "ALL" cyclist are like is such a crock. There is a term for this - what most people complain about is what they dislike most about themselves. Maybe Fancy is disappointed about someone being rude to her . . . maybe you’re rude first and it's just reciprocal. Given the relative small geographical landscape Kelowna represents, many more people should be encourage to ride a bike, on sidewalks if necessary, making rude comments to everyone they pass by. Personally I can’t care less what the talkers say. Unless you ride a bike, often, in Kelowna, you haven’t much to say.
Don't read my posts. Rules weren't always necessarily made to be broken and yes I have ridden a bike as an adult in a bigger city than Kelowna. Disappointed a cyclist was rude? That's hilarious given I've been hit before. If cyclists can't show respect as is evident by some of the postings here, it's no wonder bike lanes are far and few between.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Bagotricks wrote:Kelowna has the most amount of bike lanes for its size in North America. We are *very* lucky here

Meanwhile none on Harvey/Hwy 97, riders need to zig zag threw Kelowna. Springfield is better but the drivers are even more nuts than 97.

I am not a cyclist, I am a pedestrian/transit user who watches.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Fancy wrote:Interesting how I got to be the topic of the conversation. Amazing how one little comment about rude cyclists brings out a knee jerk reaction.
Mtn Biker wrote:Ditto. Fancy and her law abiding ways get really boring and tiresome. Clearly they have never rode a bike or understand what you or I do or why we choose a bike instead of a car. Being painted by closed narrow minded b's ideas of what is safe or what "ALL" cyclist are like is such a crock. There is a term for this - what most people complain about is what they dislike most about themselves. Maybe Fancy is disappointed about someone being rude to her . . . maybe you’re rude first and it's just reciprocal. Given the relative small geographical landscape Kelowna represents, many more people should be encourage to ride a bike, on sidewalks if necessary, making rude comments to everyone they pass by. Personally I can’t care less what the talkers say. Unless you ride a bike, often, in Kelowna, you haven’t much to say.
Don't read my posts. Rules weren't always necessarily made to be broken and yes I have ridden a bike as an adult in a bigger city than Kelowna. Disappointed a cyclist was rude? That's hilarious given I've been hit before. If cyclists can't show respect as is evident by some of the postings here, it's no wonder bike lanes are far and few between.

Maybe you should try showing them respect as well.

Goes both ways, and many things can be misinterpreted on the fly. Also, having a negative attitude from the get-go is a great way to tint those glasses to see things only as you think they are, but not as they actually are.

Bike lanes are not what is wanted, or needed(that's why they are far and few). Cyclists belong with pedestrians, but with a "bike path" closer to them(pedestrians) rather than cars. Current solutions do not work very well, are dangerous and create more of a hazard than they are worth.

Postings here are not what you should be coloring your impression of people in public with.

You're grasp of this situation is so far off base it's not even funny.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Loed wrote:Maybe you should try showing them respect as well.
That doesn't make sense. Can't show cyclists respect if they are being ignorant and damn near running me down. Can't show a cyclist respect if they hit a pedestrian in the crosswalk or hit a vehicle stopped at a red light. And I could go on but I won't. No rose coloured glasses here - I prefer to see what's coming.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Fancy wrote:
That doesn't make sense. Can't show cyclists respect if they are being ignorant and damn near running me down. Can't show a cyclist respect if they hit a pedestrian in the crosswalk or hit a vehicle stopped at a red light. And I could go on but I won't. No rose coloured glasses here - I prefer to see what's coming.

Stop nesting my quotes, either quote the entire post or don't quote at all. Things become misinterpreted with such a narrow view of the past.

You like to make it sound a lot worse than it is. Sad truth is I/we are out there far more than you are, and it's not nearly as bad as you'd like it to be.

Respect goes both ways, and you seem to like to paint people a certain color before you even interact with them. So I can see why it feels like the world is out to get you. I promise you it isn't, you are not special enough for them to even care. You are you and we are we. Enjoy life, stop making it out to be so troublesome.

I helped and watched many others come to the aid of a poor old lady near my house stuck on a curb in her wheel chair. Brought a damned tear to my eye, traffic stopped, ignorant *bleep* honked and shut up as soon as they saw what was happening.

People still have hearts, you just have to kick them a few times to get them out.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Loed wrote:
Fancy wrote:

Stop nesting my quotes, either quote the entire post or don't quote at all. Things become misinterpreted with such a narrow view of the past.
No need to quote the entire post if responding to something particular.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Aside from being irritating, misleading and easily misinterpreted... Oh wait, that's right up your alley!

Quote the whole thing or don't quote at all, people are intelligent enough to figure out what you are referencing.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Fancy wrote:

Can't get through a dense head with one way vision. I am sure that rudeness follows you around like flees on a dirty dog and read my previous post on closed minded narrow views. Painting cyclists with one brush is what makes this a useless thread and finding respect begins by giving some. Not what I read in your words so I am not surprised you're faced with the amount of abuse you seem to inherit. *bleep* for tat.
Last edited by Mtn Biker on Sep 20th, 2011, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I suggest Loed, you try to understand what I said. Being tired of "rude" cyclists doesn't encompass everyone. God forbid every single cyclist is rude out there lol.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Then state that initially. The way you rant and rave about it you make it seem like every cyclist you come across is rude to you. A bloody epidemic!

I'm sorry that you cannot express yourself within proper context to clarify your point in your original posts.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mtn Biker wrote:
Fancy wrote:

Can't get through a dense head with one way vision. I am sure that rudeness follows you around like flees on a dirty dog and read my previous post on closed minded narrow views. Painting cyclists with one brush is what makes this a useless thread and finding respect begins by giving some. Not what I read in your words so I am not surprised you're faced with the amount of abuse you seem to inherit. *bleep* for tat.

Come out to hold Loed's hand? Expressing an opinion for rude cyclists doesn't mean you have the right to judge my character.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Fancy wrote:
Mtn Biker wrote:
Fancy wrote:

Come out to hold Loed's hand? Expressing an opinion for rude cyclists doesn't mean you have the right to judge my character.

That would be fine is you were painting "a" cyclist as rude, but you're using the same brush for all and that's what gets people peeved. I judge as I see and you write as you see, I see you have an issue walking safely about Kelowna. Maybe trying riding a bike if you can.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”