Yer an idiot!

Home of the traffic rant.
Scadam
Übergod

Re: Yer an idiot!

Post by Scadam »

What's up with the right-turn only lane on that street behind Costco, where it connects with Hwy33. There's nowhere else for vehicles to go except turn right up 33, yet the road markings leave a huge shoulder area that looks like a right-turn lane. So inevitably you get drivers trying to pass others on the right, thinking they're in a turn lane, only to realize everyone is turning right and they're in a glorified bike lane. I hesitate to call them idiots due to the road configuration, but man it happens a lot.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Scadam wrote:What's up with the right-turn only lane on that street behind Costco, where it connects with Hwy33. There's nowhere else for vehicles to go except turn right up 33, yet the road markings leave a huge shoulder area that looks like a right-turn lane. So inevitably you get drivers trying to pass others on the right, thinking they're in a turn lane, only to realize everyone is turning right and they're in a glorified bike lane. I hesitate to call them idiots due to the road configuration, but man it happens a lot.

Used to be you could turn left there as well. When they made it right turn only, kinda had more road then they needed. But making it right turn only was a good idea.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Saw 2 vehicles trying to make left turns today across Hwy97 where it was not allowed. You people are idiots!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Scadam wrote:What's up with the right-turn only lane on that street behind Costco, where it connects with Hwy33. There's nowhere else for vehicles to go except turn right up 33, yet the road markings leave a huge shoulder area that looks like a right-turn lane. So inevitably you get drivers trying to pass others on the right, thinking they're in a turn lane, only to realize everyone is turning right and they're in a glorified bike lane. I hesitate to call them idiots due to the road configuration, but man it happens a lot.

Its probably a good idea for people to start understanding what those solid white lines mean if they're going to be driving. If you drive in those thinking its a right turn lane, you are an idiot.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Indeed, indeed, few people understand that solid lines like that mean "don't cross it idiot".

I can just imagine it in their eyes: I was driving down the bike lane to turn right, and this person crossed in front of me to make a right turn *bleep*… durrrrr.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

Or like the guy on the bike Monday morning at the emergency entrance. I was halfway through the entrance (which was pedestrian marked) on crutches when he zipped right in front of me to get back onto the road. If that had been me in a car doing that to him he'd of been screaming bloody murder. You sir are not only an idiot but a hypocrite as well.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

To the young girl yesterday with with no brains doing a turn onto Hardy road then no lets do a u-turn infront of oncoming traffic, making them all brake hard well done .... Ps texting was not the issue here it was the big shake in one hand . Where are the real drivers that have common sense and just plain brains ......
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

motokelowna1 wrote: Where are the real drivers that have common sense and just plain brains ......

We're all on Castanet complaining about the idiots on the road.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

As if we don't have enough idiots on the road already, in the summer Alberta sends theirs over here. On Alexis Park Drive in Vernon today, a white Porsche Cayenne Turbo with Alberta tag BLH-9362 - I caught it all on my dashcam - passes me on the right doing at least 60 in a 50 zone, then as the idiot driver sees the lane ending up ahead, she cuts off a line of traffic and forces her way in without signalling. When she gets to the 43rd Ave intersection she turns right without signalling directly into the inside lane, then at 32nd St turns left, again no signal, directly from the inside lane to the outside. Another right turn with no signal at 48th Ave and at the next stoplight I see the female driver in her outside mirror as she turns left on Anderson Way, this time with a signal, and then right - no signal again - into a parking lot. Yer an IDIOT!!!
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Yep, very few drivers in Kelowna area know how to use their signals. Which can be found sticking out of left side of the steering column on little lever.
Up for right
Down for left

I'm guessing it must take to much of an effort to use it, or they believe drivers behind them have ESP.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I had to drive down to West Kelowna from Vernon twice this week. I thought I would experiment with the speed limit to see how driving the speed limit compares with other drives. I always stayed in the right lane unless I was passing another vehicle.

-Driving the posted speed limit I was constantly being passed like I was standing still. This wasnt limited to one specific age or gender.

-I then decided to drive 9kph above the posted limit, because driving the speed limit seemed to be way to slow. Once again I was being passed like I was standing still, and once again it wasnt limited to one specific age or gender.

-Finally I decided to go with the flow of traffic, and wow most people were driving 20-30 kph above the posted speed limit. I only did this for a few kilometers. Being a commercial driver I didnt want to jeopardize, and tarnish my clean drivers abstract.

-Most drivers seem to understand the new left lane hog law, which is great. How ever if I was passing a slower vehicle sometimes a faster one would come up on my bumper in an aggressive hurry up an get out of the way matter.

Maybe its time for more enforcement, speed traps, and unmarked vehicles on BC highways. Or better yet bring back photo radar.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Gixxer wrote:I had to drive down to West Kelowna from Vernon twice this week. I thought I would experiment with the speed limit to see how driving the speed limit compares with other drives. I always stayed in the right lane unless I was passing another vehicle.

-Driving the posted speed limit I was constantly being passed like I was standing still. This wasnt limited to one specific age or gender.

-I then decided to drive 9kph above the posted limit, because driving the speed limit seemed to be way to slow. Once again I was being passed like I was standing still, and once again it wasnt limited to one specific age or gender.

-Finally I decided to go with the flow of traffic, and wow most people were driving 20-30 kph above the posted speed limit. I only did this for a few kilometers. Being a commercial driver I didnt want to jeopardize, and tarnish my clean drivers abstract.

-Most drivers seem to understand the new left lane hog law, which is great. How ever if I was passing a slower vehicle sometimes a faster one would come up on my bumper in an aggressive hurry up an get out of the way matter.

Maybe its time for more enforcement, speed traps, and unmarked vehicles on BC highways. Or better yet bring back photo radar.

Yep to what is highlighted in red & especially the underlined part
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote:I had to drive down to West Kelowna from Vernon twice this week. I thought I would experiment with the speed limit to see how driving the speed limit compares with other drives. I always stayed in the right lane unless I was passing another vehicle.

I'm all for more enforcement- as long as it's across the board and not a blind eye in the direction towards some law breakers.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Agree completely. Start seriously enforcing "all"the laws. Probably more serious consequences in many cases would also be a plus. If someone wants to be an idiot they should be treated like one.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

All crazies are out & about.... drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists, pedestrians oh yes skate boarders who let their board zip out into traffic.
Last edited by GordonH on Jul 29th, 2015, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”