Yer an idiot!

Home of the traffic rant.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Yer an idiot!

Post by jimmy4321 »

Honestly when I see stand out stupidity, they usually have red plates. If I were a bit more east they'd have Quebec plates.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jimmy4321 wrote:Honestly when I see stand out stupidity, they usually have red plates. If I were a bit more east they'd have Quebec plates.

There is lots of blue and white stupidity as well. Too many with an "N" on their cars as well.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I consider anyone who does a hit & run to be both an idiot & a coward, turn yourself in as :cuss: hole (Better let stay at the scene & call 911).
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/206762 ... de-of-road
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:I consider anyone who does a hit & run to be both an idiot & a coward, turn yourself in as :cuss: hole (Better let stay at the scene & call 911).
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/206762 ... de-of-road

Unfortunately if someone is drunk and leaves the accident the fines for leaving are less than drunk driving.
Make the penalty more or the same and maybe they will stick around. (but I doubt it)
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I followed a truck, nice truck, hauling a boat and trailer down Woodsdale this morning. You know what??? The person could NOT see out of any of his mirrors!!! Side ones or the rear view one!!! Seriously, how can ANYONE haul something down a street, or highway, and not have extensions on their mirrors to be able to see if anyone is coming up behind you, or maybe an emergency vehicle is coming up and needs a clear passage?? Seriously, Driver, man or woman, you need to rethink things before you do something like that again. IF you do, your are an IDIOT, even if you are on a "country road".
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

rookie314 wrote:How enlightening that you should mention the red plates. No one with blue plates would ever do that. Rolls eyes. By the way, what color were the plates on the SUV?

Yep, good ol' confirmation bias. Where I used to live, it was New York plates.
Last edited by Woodenhead on Sep 16th, 2017, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

jimmy4321 wrote:Honestly when I see stand out stupidity, they usually have red plates. If I were a bit more east they'd have Quebec plates.

The QC vehicles in BC are usually fruit pickers jalopies - ones that generally shouldn't even be on the road.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
spooker

Post by spooker »

Almost started a new thread for this morning's fiasco but decided it goes in here ...

To the lady that didn't stop in time and just about collided with me as I was riding the Cawston multi-use path crossing Ethel ... I understand, the stop line is way back there and you just can't see other cars if you stop back there ... but please stop at the line, make sure the path is clear before moving up to check for cars ...

To the guy behind her that yelled that I should've stopped because of the stop sign ... too bad you closed your window before hearing the explanation that the stop sign doesn't apply to the path ... the stop sign is for people in the vehicle lane, not path users ... when the design calls for control of path users the signals/signage will be placed on the path ... i.e. at Gordon, Richter, or Ellis crossings ... Graham, Ethel, and St. Paul give the path users right-of-way ...

I've had to explain this a few times after hearing the "a cyclist wasn't stopping for the intersection" ... I do wish the City had covered this better when they built it ... same applies to the other locations where there is a multi-use path and roadways ...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

spooker wrote: I've had to explain this a few times after hearing the "a cyclist wasn't stopping for the intersection" ... I do wish the City had covered this better when they built it ... same applies to the other locations where there is a multi-use path and roadways ...

This sounds like very dangerous situation. Unfortunately being right doesn't help if you are dead right.
Personally I would err on the side of caution and make sure the cars are actually giving the right of way before proceeding.
Too many idiots out there in cars and on bikes.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Bsuds wrote:This sounds like very dangerous situation. Unfortunately being right doesn't help if you are dead right.
Personally I would err on the side of caution and make sure the cars are actually giving the right of way before proceeding.
Too many idiots out there in cars and on bikes.

And that's a good example of the inequality that occurs on the road all the time ... Just because we don't have an exoskeleton built to withstand the impact of a 3000lb behemoth we are warned to be "cautious" ... I don't disagree with your sentiment but do you see brake lights flicker on when a person in a car approaches an intersection with no stop signs except for the perpendicular entries? No, someone going down Richter isn't going to react cautiously where Doyle, Fuller, or Lawson join up with it but that's still the same situation but with different actors ...

We get past the license test and forget what stop lines actually mean ... it wouldn't be dangerous if the road users (this means all types of vehicles, bicycles included) could be reasonably expected to stop properly, if they were educated on the usage of this infrastructure ... fear makes us miss things ... inattention is the root of our bad decisions too often ... we shouldn't be idiots out there on the road ... we shouldn't be afraid ...
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/207164 ... 750-metres :up: :up:

very simple solution get a bluetooth/hands free device. If not willing to do that then expect similar to the link above.
As for texters just stop that pure stupidity now.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Yesterday, Wednesday, I was picking up a friend at the hospital's main entrance here in Kelowna, and I saw a young man with yellow on a vest, for safety sake, I guess. He got out, went in for a few minutes and then came out, carrying what looked like a bag with a prescription in it. He got quickly back in his red car, and then went on his way---WITHOUT FASTENING HIS SEAT BELT!!!! AND, he had an N on his car. Young man, if you are making steps to be seen by wearing the reflective vest, don't you think you should do up your seat belt???
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

To the Black Subaru Crosstrek, what's up with darken plastic cover over your license plate. Oh yes so you can get away with red light cameras.... also makes it impossible for anyone to report you.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Distracted driving penalties increase under new Ontario law ...

Distracted driving remains a killer on Ontario roads: OPP; Distracted driving laws across ... cyclist will increase to the same amounts as for distracted driving, ...
Ontario is upping the fines for distracted driving. Major, MAJOR fines will be imposed. I think that is what will have to happen throughout the other provinces. Distracted driving includes having an animal on your lap while driving. CRAZY how many times I see it here in Lake Country.
Also, speeders going through school zones is ridiculous. The last few days I have seen lots of people going by GES here as if it is still Summer. SLOW DOWN, FOLKS, OR GET A HEFTY FINE, OR YOU JUST MAY END UP HITTING ONE OF THE YOUNG PEOPLE AROUND THERE. Way worse than a fine.
Last edited by damama55 on Sep 21st, 2017, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spooker

Post by spooker »

damama55 wrote:Distracted driving penalties increase under new Ontario law ...
http://www.cbc.ca/.../distracted-drivin ... -1.3096785
Distracted driving remains a killer on Ontario roads: OPP; Distracted driving laws across ... cyclist will increase to the same amounts as for distracted driving, ...
Ontario is upping the fines for distracted driving. Major, MAJOR fines will be imposed. I think that is what will have to happen throughout the other provinces. Distracted driving includes having an animal on your lap while driving. CRAZY how many times I see it here in Lake Country.
Also, speeders going through school zones is ridiculous. The last few days I have seen lots of people going by GES here as if it is still Summer. SLOW DOWN, FOLKS, OR GET A HEFTY FINE, OR YOU JUST MAY END UP HITTING ONE OF THE YOUNG PEOPLE AROUND THERE. Way worse than a fine.

I loved this article out of Ontario: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-careless-driving-1.4298290 ... upping the penalty from $500 to $50,000 ... maybe people will actually think about what they do behind the wheel ...

p.s. the link posted to the article about stiffer penalties for distracted driving is broken ...

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”