Yer an idiot!

Home of the traffic rant.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Yer an idiot!

Post by Bsuds »

damama55 wrote:Another thing that bugs me is, people NOT signalling as they use the roundabout.

This has been discussed several times and according to ICBC's info it is only a requirement to signal your exit.
So no signal assume they are going round and round (cause some idiots never signal)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

damama55 wrote:Another thing that bugs me is, people NOT signalling as they use the roundabout. Sure helps when you know what direction the other driver is going to take. Or, NO ONE in or near the roundabout, and, the driver ahead of me comes to a COMPLETE stop. Guess they want to make sure NO ONE is coming in the next 5 minutes.

TBH, I may be one of the people that stops (or slows down to near stop) when entering a roundabout. I have to drive through one almost daily because it is near my work and it is amazing how many people will come ripping through to enter it at 50k. I'd rather be a defensive driver and slow down to make sure no one is going to come barrelling through then get hit because someone behind me has no patience.
hail Satan y'all
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

whatwhat wrote:
damama55 wrote:Another thing that bugs me is, people NOT signalling as they use the roundabout. Sure helps when you know what direction the other driver is going to take. Or, NO ONE in or near the roundabout, and, the driver ahead of me comes to a COMPLETE stop. Guess they want to make sure NO ONE is coming in the next 5 minutes.

TBH, I may be one of the people that stops (or slows down to near stop) when entering a roundabout. I have to drive through one almost daily because it is near my work and it is amazing how many people will come ripping through to enter it at 50k. I'd rather be a defensive driver and slow down to make sure no one is going to come barrelling through then get hit because someone behind me has no patience.

If you look, and see nobody coming then keep going.

Doing what you're doing, you're a "sitting target" - an accident waiting to happen.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

lightspeed wrote:If you look, and see nobody coming then keep going.

Doing what you're doing, you're a "sitting target" - an accident waiting to happen.

Well I have had to slam on my breaks on multiple different occasions because someone came ripping into the roundabout, so I'll continue to slow down to make sure I don't get hit. Now with saying that, I am not sitting and waiting.

If someone can't seem to see the car in front of them is stopped or slowing/slowed down and causes an accident, well that's their fault for rear ending unfortunately.
hail Satan y'all
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Slowing down, and checking, is one thing. That is being safety conscious. Coming to a complete stop, when there is NO sign of a vehicle in or near a roundabout, is just plain stupid. We have a bad roundabout here in Lake Country. The one on Lodge Rd. coming off the highway. People rip down off the highway, rip into the roundabout, neither slowing down or looking to see who might be in it. An ounce of prevention IS worth a pound of cure, especially in that roundabout.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The ones stopping before entering are very annoying (when nothing is coming) but the ones who stop when already in the circle are frigging idiots!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

whatwhat wrote:
lightspeed wrote:If you look, and see nobody coming then keep going.

Well I have had to slam on my breaks on multiple different occasions because someone came ripping into the roundabout, so I'll continue to slow down to make sure I don't get hit. Now with saying that, I am not sitting and waiting.

If someone can't seem to see the car in front of them is stopped or slowing/slowed down and causes an accident, well that's their fault for rear ending unfortunately.

"Near stop" is what you wrote. That's what I interpreted.

Fair enough.

my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

whatwhat wrote:TBH, I may be one of the people that stops (or slows down to near stop) when entering a roundabout. I have to drive through one almost daily because it is near my work and it is amazing how many people will come ripping through to enter it at 50k. I'd rather be a defensive driver and slow down to make sure no one is going to come barrelling through then get hit because someone behind me has no patience.

"...amazing how many people will come ‘ripping through’ to enter it a 50k"

You realize the speed limit is 50k, right ?

Do you stop at freeway entrances in acceleration lane too ? Can't be too careful.

What you are saying: "I may be one of the people that stops (or slows down to near stop) when entering a roundabout"...... "I'd rather be a defensive driver"

Actually you are not being a defensive driver.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Are you ignoring street signs, or something??? There are speed limits posted before entering them.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

kgcayenne wrote:Are you ignoring street signs, or something??? There are speed limits posted before entering them.

If you are referring to those yellow signs, those are NOT speed limit signs. They are in the same category as, "Watch for Rocks on Road", "Deer Crossing", "Slippery When Wet".

What I'm suggesting is that, since the powers that be have not seen fit to legislate a lower speed limit for the use of roundabouts, then travelling in them at are near 50k, certainly doesn't qualify as "ripping through".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

They may just be advisory signs, but I bet if you smash into someone at 50lm/h in a roundabout, you'll be found partially at fault instead of the person entering being 100% nailed for failing to yield the right-of-way.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Blondie in a black recent Audi Q7 texting as you're driving along 97. Plate number DR931*

Not sure why you think it's ok to text as you're driving along in rush hour traffic.

People like you are part of the epidemic of appalling distracted driving.

my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

kgcayenne wrote:They may just be advisory signs, but I bet if you smash into someone at 50lm/h in a roundabout, you'll be found partially at fault instead of the person entering being 100% nailed for failing to yield the right-of-way.

Nonsense, a cautionary sign has no bearing on liability.

You're travelling 50kph in a round about, which is the speed limit in a roundabout and because of a cautionary sign, you'd be given a portion of the blame ?

Do you think if you hit a deer after passing a "Watch for Deer" sign you wouldn't be covered for an animal collision ?

The speed limit in a round about is the same limit as the surrounding streets. A vehicle in the roundabout has the right of way.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

so when yore doing a hundred kph on highway 33 and a cautionary sign tells ya to slow to 60 for the corner coming up and you drive off the road its not gonna be your fault lol I have a bridge for sale if youre interested, real nice one, crosses Okanagan lake will give ya a good deal :up:
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

my5cents wrote:If you are referring to those yellow signs, those are NOT speed limit signs. They are in the same category as, "Watch for Rocks on Road", "Deer Crossing", "Slippery When Wet".

What I'm suggesting is that, since the powers that be have not seen fit to legislate a lower speed limit for the use of roundabouts, then travelling in them at are near 50k, certainly doesn't qualify as "ripping through".

Well if you check the ICBC website for roundabouts it clearly says to slow down so you can yield if need be. As well, on other websites for driving around BC they state that the speed limit in a roundabout is 20km (not sure how true that is, I'll have to look out for a sign next time I drive through one).
http://drivinginstructorblog.com/tips-for-roundabouts/

ETA:https://www.*bleep*.com/watercooler/news/news/Kelowna/17/03/17/New_Kelowna_RCMP_recruit_has_tips_for_roundabouts/
Reduce your speed while approaching the roundabout – watch for roadway signs and yield to pedestrians and cyclists

As well, I checked google maps for the roundabout on Burtch as that is the one I drive through most often, and there is signage for 30km.
hail Satan y'all

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”