Yer an idiot!

Home of the traffic rant.
throwaway12345

Re: Yer an idiot!

Post by throwaway12345 »

To the rider of the Triumph heading north on '97 around 3:30PM today: tailgating the vehicle ahead of you while moving, lane splitting the same vehicle at each red light, doggy-paddling your bike at slower speeds, dragging your feet on the pavement when accelerating from a red light, and rapidly changing lanes in packed traffic are all quick ways to become road hamburger.

You're an idiot.

My advice? Sell the bike before you become a statistic.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Always Sunny wrote:**Not a Kelowna area story, but an idiot no less**

Today I'm driving from Cranbrook to Golden. There are two smaller SUVs/crossovers in front of me and no one behind me for some distance. As we near Invermere the one in front of me drifts over to the shoulder (a wide one, close to a car width). He's driving the way someone might if they were planning a right-hand turn off a highway where there is no dedicated turn lane, in order to move out of the way of traffic behind.

But I notice that not only is the vehicle not slowing down (going a solid 100km/h) there is also NO side road anywhere nearby. So I slow down because I have no idea if he's going to zip back into traffic or what. Instead, he plunges down into the ditch (about 4') and then up the embankment about 6'-8' and all I see is black dirt and gravel flying everywhere. Through the dust I see him struggling to regain control...moments from rolling his vehicle he manages to get it back up on the highway.

Once I confirmed there was no damage/the driver was "ok" I slowly pulled past and continued onto Golden, as I see the vehicle slowly pull back onto the highway behind me and eventually into a gas station.

It was a perfectly clear sunny day just after 1:00pm. Certainly I don't know what happened, but distracted driving was pretty clear.

I saw the exact same thing happen a couple of years ago West of Golden on the TC1. When the driver woke up and reacted, he rolled his SUV a couple of times. Banged up, but everyone lived. Scary when that happens right in front of you.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Steve-O wrote:Sounds alot like driver fatigue. Slowly drifting off to sleep in the warm sun than "HOLY S%!T!!!!". Good to hear no one was hurt. If it was a case of distracted driving, hopefully this person learned a lesson.

Could be. But from what I saw it seemed more like distracted driving. They'd driven for a long distance on that shoulder. Usually if it's fatigue they seem to overcorrect almost immediately. I think they thought they were driving on the road that 100-200m.
Tony wrote:I saw the exact same thing happen a couple of years ago West of Golden on the TC1. When the driver woke up and reacted, he rolled his SUV a couple of times. Banged up, but everyone lived. Scary when that happens right in front of you.

I drive about 70,000km a year on these highways and this was probably the closest I've been to seeing something like this happen. I've seen the aftermath of way too many to count unfortunately.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Two words: Unsecured (unsafe) Loads

Saw a guy this morning in Westbank with a wheelbarrow strapped to the roof of his fiberglass canopy with just one ratchet strap. He was stopped in the exit lane for Gellatly Road tightening his load.

Then there was the two young guys who pulled onto the highway off Abbott, they had a bicycle on the roof with the passenger reaching through the sunroof to "secure" it.

Either of these pieces of cargo could have come loose and killed a pedestrian or gone through a windshield.

Here's your sign!
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

To the guy driving the black extended cab pick-up this morning turning off of St. Paul onto Doyle with a cell-phone attached to your ear.

You, sir, are an idiot! You only looked to your right, didn’t pay any attention to on-coming traffic on your left nor the pedestrian on the sidewalk. Plus, driving while using your cell-phone is a huge NO-NO!.

Pull over or turn off the cell phone before you kill someone. Twerp.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Otter wrote:To the guy driving the black extended cab pick-up this morning turning off of St. Paul onto Doyle with a cell-phone attached to your ear.

You, sir, are an idiot! You only looked to your right, didn’t pay any attention to on-coming traffic on your left nor the pedestrian on the sidewalk. Plus, driving while using your cell-phone is a huge NO-NO!.

Pull over or turn off the cell phone before you kill someone. Twerp.

You know what i don't think we will ever get the message over to drivers until parents start to abide by the rules and let their kids see that driving whilst distracted is not a safe thing to do and its also not legal.
This morning i see small car being driven by woman in the slow nose to tail traffic into Kelowna and i noticed that as the traffic moved she seemed to lunge forward way too fast and then slam on the brakes, this went on for a few hundred feet until i was level with her and saw she was texting on her phone whilst appearing to chat and laugh with her young male passenger which i assumed was her son. What kind of message does this send to him? I wonder how she would have felt if she had an accident and he was badly injured? As an adult, parent and supposedly a role model she should have refrained from even touching the phone whilst driving, unfortunately it seems to happen way too often and just breeds another generation of text and talk while driving peeps.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

So did you get the plate number and call it in to the RCMP?
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

I've had two totally bizarre ones in the past two days.

Yesterday I'm on the way up Hwy33 just past costco in the curb lane and the car in front of me slows down, then stops dead right in front of me next to a bus stop. And a passenger starts getting out! I honked and got a rude look from the passenger of course, but *bleep*, who stops dead in the middle of the fricken highway - use a side street you moron!

Then the same damn thing happened today, slightly different circumstances. On the way down Hwy33 a couple blocks up from Costco, this time in the passing lane. The car in front of me starts slowing down, then completely stops. I see the driver motioning a pedestrian to go ahead and cross in front of her! She actually stopped dead in the middle of the passing lane of Hwy33 nowhere near an intersection or crosswalk becaue she saw a pedestrian standing on the curb!! Then this guy is standing in the middle of the road waiting to cross the other side, and the car in front of me is still stopped. So now I lay on the horn and see that this fool is busy motioning a car ahead of her to go ahead and make its turn in front of her onto a side street, and that's why she was STILL stopped, in the middle of the *bleep* highway! Courtesy run amok...
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Makes you want to plow into the back of them :@
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

I gotta put this one in.

The loser in the convertible rolls coming out of casa loma, heading into kelowna.
Heavy traffic coming down towards the bridge. 2 cars coming out of casa loma in their merge lane come to a stop.
Scared I guess to speed up and expect an opening into 97 hwy traffic.
The 3rd car, this Bentley, pulls up behind them and stops as well. When I went by the rolls pulled out first into the opening behind me instead of letting the 2 in front go first.
Ya, people don't know how to merge, that's true, but your arrogance in your "look at me, I'm trump"car is border line loser, dude.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

To the grey haired gent in his BMW sports Convertible on Friday travelling at a high
rate of speed in the 50K zone approaching Rieds Corner on OV Rd.
Yes I saw you, yes I could tell that you were close to double the posted limit.
Yes, I still pulled out in front of you, accelerating enough to give you time to react
and then made sure I didn't exceed 50k.
While you about lost yer mind in a rage towards me.

You sure made me laugh but....Yer Still An Idiot!!!

Hahahahahahaha!!!!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Idiot overload this morning heading to Kelowna. Just past Hudson/Westlake the traffic was stopped on the highway, seems that two people had a very minor bump but instead of pulling over onto the adequately wide meridian on the right side of road they stood exchanging details and blocking the left lane, thats 2 idiots. It then occurs to me that there is actually plenty of room to still get 2 cars side by side as we passed these jerks if only those in the right lane just moved over onto the meridian to pass and allow those in left lane to move too but it seems that today everyone in the right lane decided they could not cross that white line that they cross with regularity on any other occasion so we stop start and gawp almost having more rear enders as we painfully make our way passed these two. Multiple idiots i think especially as later on i witness several cars crossing the white line and riding the bike lane to turn right from Springfield to Gordon!!!
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

Albertan on a motorcycle. Traffic on 97 south from Sicamous was fairly busy and I was in a line of vehicles. This genius figures he can just start passing cars whenever he felt, and ended up doing so around several blind corners. Had loud pipes too because those are totally going to save his life.. right?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

So we're sitting in a car behind a huge SUV yesterday, waiting for the light to change, in the straight lane.

The left turn signal flashes green "on", the driver in the left hand turning lane turns and the driver of the SUV guns it right thru A RED LIGHT.

So fortunate we didn't have to be ICBC witnesses for that gaff.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

To the idiots out there that wait until they are acturally turning before they activate their indicater lights.

Yes, I guess we should all be able to read minds, but first YOU have to have a mind to read.

So...if you can't find the little handle on the left hand side of your steering wheel to let the world know where you are planning on going and get hit by the poor driver behind you or you run over that person in the crosswalk who thought they had the right-of-way, don't blame anyone else but yourself.

Oh, and make sure you tell the cop, judge, or the family of the people you killed that YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

I'm sure they'll understand.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”