Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by ukcanuck »

Galabb wrote:In the hope that some of the offenders read this forum .....

Please do everyone a big favour, especially yourself ….
Truly read this letter and actually think about it for a few minutes.

How do you think your life would change if you killed or maimed someone because
you were talking or texting on your cel phone while driving?

How do you think your friends and family would look at you from that day forward?
What would it do to your career?

How do think you would feel? Would you be cavalier and unfazed?
Would life go on as before? Or would you have nightmares for the rest of your life?
Never mind the financial costs after that. That will be no big deal.

You have to already know that accidents happen even when we are paying FULL
attention on the road. You never know what the other drivers are going to do.
You already know that it only takes a split second to have, …. or to avoid an accident.

AND you've probably ALREADY had a close call.

Please turn off your cel phone when you are behind the wheel.
Everyone will respect you for it!

I watched a young woman just the other day, driving a mini van with a family
of "stick people" on the back window. She was smoking a cigarette and texting
while driving in the HOV lane on Harvey. Talk about multi-tasking!
I'm sure she'll recognize herself here. I don't think she even knows that she
was drifting out of her lane.

On behalf of all motorcyclists everywhere, considering what you've said above and the fact that half the four wheeled drivers on the road are complete and total morons ( I'll be nice an assume you arent one.) I'd really much rather you stop looking into the cabins of other vehicles to see what they are doing and just focus in your own driving please, it only takes a split second as you say, and you just wasted at least that looking down your nose...

That would help so much more than the self serving finger pointing going on here .
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

ukcanuck wrote:On behalf of all motorcyclists everywhere, considering what you've said above and the fact that half the four wheeled drivers on the road are complete and total morons ( I'll be nice an assume you arent one.) I'd really much rather you stop looking into the cabins of other vehicles to see what they are doing and just focus in your own driving please, it only takes a split second as you say, and you just wasted at least that looking down your nose...

That would help so much more than the self serving finger pointing going on here .

Ah ya,,,, hmmm, dunno what this has to do with motorcyclists but when I am a passenger in my car or another persons car and we see an idiot on the road, you bet I will be looking into the cab of that vehicle to see why he/she is being an idiot on the road, and when my camara is with me I will take the time to take a shot if I can. And I do make sure they see I am lookimg at them too. Oh and if I get a chance to stop and call them in I will too.

What are you saying? Just let people drive with phones in their ear, food in there laps and a cigarette in their other hand and not say a word about it? My peeking is less a risk then their long drawn out conversation with their friend who doesnt want their advice anyway while they are supposed to be driving on our roads. Till that stupidness stops people will be looking and wondering what people are doing that makes them a danger on the road with many other cars around them.
If you are afraid someone will be peeking into your car, please save yourself the risk of that and a whole lot more by stuffing that phone in your pocket where you can get at it if it rings, better yet, stick it in the trunk. Thats better then telling people not to worry whats making you weave all over, dontcha think?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

ukcanuck wrote:On behalf of all motorcyclists everywhere, considering what you've said above and the fact that half the four wheeled drivers on the road are complete and total morons ( I'll be nice an assume you arent one.) I'd really much rather you stop looking into the cabins of other vehicles to see what they are doing and just focus in your own driving please, it only takes a split second as you say, and you just wasted at least that looking down your nose...

ITYM - on behalf of all motorcyclists everywhere, hang up the damned phone, shoulder-check, signal, and respect our space margins.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

36Drew wrote:
ITYM - on behalf of all motorcyclists everywhere, hang up the damned phone, shoulder-check, signal, and respect our space margins.

No I don't, cell phones have not made it significantly worse that it already is, at least half the jokers on the road drive like they are auditioning for Canada's worst driver already. Complaining about some other idiot on a cell phone distracts from the fact that you, ya you need to focus on your driving not others. We all do...

Instead of feeling all smug about some one else screwing up and complain as it makes a difference, drive better yourself, you know you need too...
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

ukcanuck wrote:
To do with motorcyclists? Well you would need to be one to understand but,

Put simply, the following quote which clearly you need to take note of, makes me think your driving matches your holier than thou attitude...just try to keep your two tons of steel between the white lines and that will do more for public safety than being a self appointed police person.

Interesting you should say that, I have ridden for many years and will again some day, likely once I retire and have more time for leizure travelling again but, in the interest of all motorists,,, since it isnt really riding season,,, (which makes me think you Might not be a rider or,,, maybe you ride in the snow and should think about that too) its about putting your phones down,,, right?
Unless you are saying that motorcyclists are the ones staring into the cab of other vehicles,,, you confuse me anyway,,,
The point of this thread at any rate is to make drivers of all types of vehicles aware that others are looking and when you do stupid things besides driving you will probably see yer pic here with yer phone where it dont belong.
And why do I look at the speck in my brothers eye? Probably because I seen him on his phone while driving and I whacked him with my plank and I wanna make sure its bothering him :dyinglaughing:
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Roadster wrote:Interesting you should say that, I have ridden for many years and will again some day, likely once I retire and have more time for leizure travelling again but, in the interest of all motorists,,, since it isnt really riding season,,, (which makes me think you Might not be a rider or,,, maybe you ride in the snow and should think about that too) its about putting your phones down,,, right?
Unless you are saying that motorcyclists are the ones staring into the cab of other vehicles,,, you confuse me anyway,,,
The point of this thread at any rate is to make drivers of all types of vehicles aware that others are looking and when you do stupid things besides driving you will probably see yer pic here with yer phone where it dont belong.
And why do I look at the speck in my brothers eye? Probably because I seen him on his phone while driving and I whacked him with my board and I wanna make sure its bothering him :dyinglaughing:

Long before there was such thing as a cell phone, bikers have been making eye contact with 4wheeled clods to make sure there was someone home, more often than not, the lights were on but the hamster was missing...adding cell phones to the mix makes things marginally worse but not much more so.
to read a thread like this and knowing that most people are morons on the road makes me wish that the effort its takes to make your post was actually spent on driving your vehicle...

In other words, not using your cell phone does not make you a capable driver nor does it justify you to point fingers or drop your Big Mac to root around your glove box for your camera. If you want to make a difference on the road, focus on what you are doing. It will be much safer for everyone.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

ukcanuck wrote:Instead of feeling all smug about some one else screwing up and complain as it makes a difference, drive better yourself, you know you need too...

My driving is actually quite good (instructor level, as it were). It's also not difficult to spot the cell-phone users in the same vein that it's not difficult to spot other hazards on the road. As a driver, you should be aware of what is around you, not just what is in front. That guy behind you? Is he going to stop or slam into you at the next light. The space beside you - is there an escape route there or not. It's the same regardless if you're riding two wheels or driving four.

As for cell phone users, texters, drivers not signalling or checking shoulders/mirrors...

P605275-5#4.jpg

The driver that did that to me was on his cellphone, didn't signal, didn't bother to look. The bike is now a write off and I'm still healing 4 months later. Damned skippy I'm going to point out horrible driving habits.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

36Drew wrote:
My driving is actually quite good (instructor level, as it were). It's also not difficult to spot the cell-phone users in the same vein that it's not difficult to spot other hazards on the road. As a driver, you should be aware of what is around you, not just what is in front. That guy behind you? Is he going to stop or slam into you at the next light. The space beside you - is there an escape route there or not. It's the same regardless if you're riding two wheels or driving four.

As for cell phone users, texters, drivers not signalling or checking shoulders/mirrors...

P605275-5#4.jpg

The driver that did that to me was on his cellphone, didn't signal, didn't bother to look. The bike is now a write off and I'm still healing 4 months later. Damned skippy I'm going to point out horrible driving habits.

Just claiming that you "drive" a bike at instructor level raises alarm bells,
As for your motorcycle accident I'm sorry that that happened and hope you recover fully. However, what was your contribution to it? We're you in his blind spot? Were you day dreaming? Your bike is far more agile than a car... If you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and you had time to notice the other guy was on a cell why didn't you have time to get out of the way?

Edit: if that's your bike perhaps you should consider something a little more nimble :)
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

ukcanuck wrote:Just claiming that you "drive" a bike at instructor level raises alarm bells,

I said drive at an instructor level, not ride. I'll probably be doing my class 6 instructor training in 2014. My riding skill is quite good, thank you.

ukcanuck wrote:As for your motorcycle accident I'm sorry that that happened and hope you recover fully. However, what was your contribution to it? We're you in his blind spot? Were you day dreaming? Your bike is far more agile than a car... If you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and you had time to notice the other guy was on a cell why didn't you have time to get out of the way?

Edit: if that's your bike perhaps you should consider something a little more nimble :)

Well if you really want to know all the sordid details... I was on my way to lead a group ride. The car that hit me had pulled out from side driveway on the opposing side of the street, into the left (inside) lane. I was in the curb lane. There was a minivan behind the car. The car had pulled alongside me - I had noticed the cell phone. I rolled off the throttle, dropped a gear, and had just covered the front brake when the car decided to abruptly cut across my lane and attempt to make it into a driveway (pawn shop on rutland rd.). The car driver later admitted that he was in a hurry to make it to the pawn shop before they closed. I had all of 5 seconds to act from when I noticed the driver beside me not paying attention to the point that he cut across. It wasn't just a simple move-over, either. The car started a hard right across my lane.

For mitigation - I had two options - one was to accelerate and the other was to back off. I chose back off. If I had accelerated, I may or may not have cleared the front bumper of the car before he decided to cut over - if I didn't, I'd probably be in far worse shape. I couldn't move over to the other lane as the van was in the way. Instead, i did a rather abrupt squeeze on the front brake, changed lane position to the outer track, and exited the bike when it impacted the car's front quarter panel. I estimate that my speed at impact was about 30kph (down from 50 just a flash moment before).

As for nimble - I could ride that bike just fine. I will be moving to a sports-tourer next, but I certainly didn't have any complaints about my last bike.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

ukcanuck wrote:
Long before there was such thing as a cell phone, bikers have been making eye contact with 4wheeled clods to make sure there was someone home, more often than not, the lights were on but the hamster was missing...adding cell phones to the mix makes things marginally worse but not much more so.
to read a thread like this and knowing that most people are morons on the road makes me wish that the effort its takes to make your post was actually spent on driving your vehicle...

In other words, not using your cell phone does not make you a capable driver nor does it justify you to point fingers or drop your Big Mac to root around your glove box for your camera. If you want to make a difference on the road, focus on what you are doing. It will be much safer for everyone.

Having driven cars for 30 plus years and road bikes and many other vehicles of personal and work related types for many of those years and never having so much as a ding does qualify me to point a finger at someone who is driving like they are drunk because they are busy conversating on a phone, stuffing a big sloppy sandwhich in their face or putting on make up in the rear view mirror,,, yes it does. Drive and the car and then do something completely different and not road related after and you wont be at risk of me poking a camera at you and pointing my pointy finger at you,,, thats it, its that easy.
After my many years of driving carefully and respecting the roads and others I expect the same. I have had cell phones since the day they came to market and got into cars and I have never had a conversation yet while driving so call me what you like, I havent hurt anyone and we know cell phones cause accidents just like all other none road activities, its not new anymore. Read the story of a young man telling his girlfriend he loved her and no answer back, she crashed and they never saw each other again.

http://www.limelife.com/blog-entry/Hear ... 38853.html

Its only one story of how many stories where people think its ok to yak or text and drive but what a sad one,,, now he is putting out the message he wishes he was given. What a beautiful lady, slipped right out of his hands before he could marry her and he will never see her again, all for the love of cell phones. And dont get me wrong,,, drinking too,,, if you plan to drive then do that, do all them other things you want to do after you arrive and you are still alive to do them. Quit trying to kill me.

Oh and to your quote above about the saw dust in your brothers eye,,,, here is one

Be careful out there,,, Its not you I worry about, its the idiots on the same road with you,,,
now thats an oldie for ya,,,, before cell phones came out I heard that one.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

ukcanuck wrote:Just claiming that you "drive" a bike at instructor level raises alarm bells,
As for your motorcycle accident I'm sorry that that happened and hope you recover fully. However, what was your contribution to it? We're you in his blind spot? Were you day dreaming? Your bike is far more agile than a car... If you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and you had time to notice the other guy was on a cell why didn't you have time to get out of the way?

I think I get it now,,, you are hearing bells and maybe cell phones ringing,,,,
You sure have a lot to say here about an accident you have no knowledge about,,, Without knowing a guy how could you suggest something more nimble for him? Is that just your way of saying cell phone use on the road is actually ok? Deny the truth all you want but you will learn a hard lesson one day by the sounds of it and I wish you the best with that?
Turn it off before you crash and dont worry about who is watching because while its off no one will be watching you. If you wont listen then please make sure to hit a pole, they can be replaced.
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

First rule of motorcycle.
1. Ride like no one can see you, because they cannot. They are looking for cars not bikes, bikes have a smaller footprint so at any speed they are almost invisible.
I rode many years on many bikes of all shapes and sizes on and off road and this rule applies to them all. Dosent matter if you made eye contact or not they may not have seen you.
Second rule
2. ALWAYS have an escape route. WHY? see rule number one.

If you always remeber and OBEY this the only time you find yourself shiny side down is when YOU make a mistake and this is easily prevented since its YOU your dealing with..

Drivers simply do not and never will look for bikes.
look left then right then left then proceed if safe to do so. OPPs shmash *bleep* was that oh man it was a bike and I was looking for a car...(There always sure they did the correct checks, they just looked for the wrong thing)
Heard it hundreds of times in my life. Its sad but just a fact of life here with our short season for bikes.
Im sure if this were more like other countries where bikes outnumber cars 15 to 1 then it may not be so true.

P99
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Just checking,,, how did this become a thread about bikes? We do have a bike thread. And yes those are the rules of riding a bike but the rules of the road should be Drive the car,,, not the phone,,,, no matter what vehicle you are using.

Drew was just showing what happened to him on his bike due to a guy in a car yakking on his phone and rushing his turn at the same time.
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

Roadster wrote:Just checking,,, how did this become a thread about bikes? We do have a bike thread. And yes those are the rules of riding a bike but the rules of the road should be Drive the car,,, not the phone,,,, no matter what vehicle you are using.

Drew was just showing what happened to him on his bike due to a guy in a car yakking on his phone and rushing his turn at the same time.

I just explained why that happens to bikes, whether it be a no-mind on a phone or someone with pet on their lap or the always seen makup on while driving while calling your boss to tell him your gonna be late.(with a bluetooth) sarcasm off.
If someone reads that and it saves just one single life then does it really matter WHERE it was written?
It not like I was talking about the weather....

P99
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

It still makes me shake my head how many stupids drivers and cell phones. Little black BMW with the big old dent in your passengers rear door.

Amber lights are for stopping at, oh ya you were so busy on your cell looking for the COPS you over looked that fact!!

Think about it, why is our insurance premiums so friggin high??
Attachments
LOVEOFC2.JPG
Last edited by Ken7 on Dec 23rd, 2012, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”