Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by dogspoiler »

It's important to put a good coating of vaseline on the camera in case you annoy someone and they give it to you for a suppository. :nutzoid:
Black Dogs Matter
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Stopped behind an older green GMC van at the lights at Richter and Lakeshore.

There was a bumper sticker on the back "are you drunk, or just on your cell phone?"

The funny part was that the driver had a Jack Russell terrier sized dog on their lap the whole time.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

And what would that have to do with Texting or talking while driving? We have another thread for what you would like to comment about!!!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

metallica wrote:And what would that have to do with Texting or talking while driving? We have another thread for what you would like to comment about!!!

Because it's kind of ironic that someone would complain about texting and driving when they've got a major distraction on their lap. Take it easy.
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

I love the functionality of the new smartphones and their protective cases. My iPhone has a speakerphone function that is light years easier to access than any previous phone I owned (and much louder, to boot), and the Otter Case Defender it is protected within is grippy enough (neoprene rubber with a diamond tread) to remain perched on my leg even through vigorous gear-shifting and clutch-mashing in heavy traffic. I do NOT worry about it toppling off, so I can call hands-free and have virtually 100% of my attention on the traffic around me. Even if it were to fall to the floor, this is an Otter Case Defender that is protecting it, and the phone is sensitive enough for me to continue my conversation while leaving it where it fell.

As for texting (or any other smart phone function, for that matter), I'm not that dumb. I never do that stuff when I'm behind the wheel. Calls only, and hands off the wheel only to pick up or end the call.
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

zensiert wrote:I love the functionality of the new smartphones and their protective cases. My iPhone has a speakerphone function that is light years easier to access than any previous phone I owned (and much louder, to boot), and the Otter Case Defender it is protected within is grippy enough (neoprene rubber with a diamond tread) to remain perched on my leg even through vigorous gear-shifting and clutch-mashing in heavy traffic. I do NOT worry about it toppling off, so I can call hands-free and have virtually 100% of my attention on the traffic around me. Even if it were to fall to the floor, this is an Otter Case Defender that is protecting it, and the phone is sensitive enough for me to continue my conversation while leaving it where it fell.

As for texting (or any other smart phone function, for that matter), I'm not that dumb. I never do that stuff when I'm behind the wheel. Calls only, and hands off the wheel only to pick up or end the call.

YOU FAIL.
zensiert
Board Meister

Post by zensiert »

zensiert wrote:I love the functionality of the new smartphones and their protective cases. My iPhone has a speakerphone function that is light years easier to access than any previous phone I owned (and much louder, to boot), and the Otter Case Defender it is protected within is grippy enough (neoprene rubber with a diamond tread) to remain perched on my leg even through vigorous gear-shifting and clutch-mashing in heavy traffic. I do NOT worry about it toppling off, so I can call hands-free and have virtually 100% of my attention on the traffic around me. Even if it were to fall to the floor, this is an Otter Case Defender that is protecting it, and the phone is sensitive enough for me to continue my conversation while leaving it where it fell.

MattJ wrote:YOU FAIL.

Ummm... wat? :135: :129: I was talking about my phone being hands-free without needing a headset or visor speaker. What's wrong with that??
I am insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

MattJ wrote:YOU FAIL.

Ummm... wat? :135: :129: I was talking about my phone being hands-free without needing a headset or visor speaker. What's wrong with that??[/quote]

I bolded the section for your convenience. I will also bet dollars to donuts that when you receive a call, your eyes come off the road to look at the caller ID, and then to answer the phone. I can also guarantee when you drop the phone on the floor, you fumble around to retrieve it. There's a reason hand held devices are NOT ALLOWED TO BE ACCESSED WHILE DRIVING, whether or not it's got built in speaker phone capabilities or not. A headset is the ONLY LEGAL DEVICE allowed to make or receive calls. No eyes off road, one finger to answer calls, and if you have one like mine, then it even reads out the caller id to you, as well as text messages, and email. You can also reply to texts and emails with it as well, without taking your eyes off the road. I hope to God I'm not hooking up to a car on the side of the highway while some genius who thinks that they've got it all figured out is bumbling with their speakerphone while driving past me. Give your head a shake. Speaker phones have been available in phones since the late 90's. If you touch your phone while driving, it's ILLEGAL. Do me a favour and lock it in the trunk, or just stay off the road if you think this is some sort of loophole to keep you from having to buy an earpiece. $20 will prevent you from running me over on the side of the highway.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Mine has a speaker on it and it aint that great,,, cant see how anyones is, theres not a lot of room to put anything bigger then what mine has in them little phones. IMO you shouldnt even be allowed hands free,,, business and yak shouldnt be allowed while driving. Mine is in my pocket and if it rings it goes to machine and when I am stopped I see who called. Why cant people get that? The machine takes the call. If its about business,,,, I cant remember a time I got an answer from Telus, shaw, my water service or a gov office right away so why cant you tell your customer you'll get right back to them? We wait for everything, why not so we can save a life too?
My plumber never answers his either just so ya know, I get a call back in about ten mins, every time. He usually says he is sorry, was on the road or under a house.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Roadster wrote:Mine has a speaker on it and it aint that great,,, cant see how anyones is, theres not a lot of room to put anything bigger then what mine has in them little phones. IMO you shouldnt even be allowed hands free,,, business and yak shouldnt be allowed while driving. Mine is in my pocket and if it rings it goes to machine and when I am stopped I see who called. Why cant people get that? The machine takes the call. If its about business,,,, I cant remember a time I got an answer from Telus, shaw, my water service or a gov office right away so why cant you tell your customer you'll get right back to them? We wait for everything, why not so we can save a life too?
My plumber never answers his either just so ya know, I get a call back in about ten mins, every time. He usually says he is sorry, was on the road or under a house.

Uh, yeah. I'm sure he's talking about bluetooth devices on your visor or built into your radio. You can here just fine with them. I'm pretty sure holding your phone and using the speaker in the phone is illegal, its the same or worse as having to your ear. The bluetooth devices is just like someone is in your car next to you talking, I'm sure most people can talk with someone in the car ok.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Matt j- you fail. There is little statistical difference between hands free and hand held, it is the conversation that is the distraction. The law is absolute BS and govt knows it, they are placating the masses while still allowing media to make billions and collect the taxes. Win win for govt, makes it look like they're doing something to folks like you without doing a damn thing.
I can't believe people still fall for this crap
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

WhatThe wrote:it is the conversation that is the distraction.

No - it's the fidgeting with the phone, taking your eyes off the road for 5 seconds while you dial a number or check and answer an inbound call that was the distraction. You can see it plain as day when you watch the few remaining idiots who do this. They swerve all over the road and have near misses... and in some cases don't miss at all.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

WhatThe wrote:Matt j- you fail. There is little statistical difference between hands free and hand held, it is the conversation that is the distraction. The law is absolute BS and govt knows it, they are placating the masses while still allowing media to make billions and collect the taxes. Win win for govt, makes it look like they're doing something to folks like you without doing a damn thing.
I can't believe people still fall for this crap

Show me the stats then. I ask you this; is bumbling around with a phone in traffic to see who is calling, or to find the answer button or slider safer than pressing a button with one finger on a headset? If the gov't (ICBC) had their way, cell phones in cars would not be allowed PERIOD. But, as you say, they have to placate the masses, so we get the law we have today, which is the happy medium. Sure, a conversation is a distraction, but at least hands free you have your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel. Much safer than holding a phone with one hand and trying to drive with the other (shift gears, signal etc), or having the phone jammed between your ear and shoulder and your head cockeyed. It's not just phones, it's putting on makeup, fiddling with your GPS, eating, drinking coffee, or anything else that distracts you from driving.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Roadster wrote:Mine has a speaker on it and it aint that great,,, cant see how anyones is, theres not a lot of room to put anything bigger then what mine has in them little phones. IMO you shouldnt even be allowed hands free,,, business and yak shouldnt be allowed while driving. Mine is in my pocket and if it rings it goes to machine and when I am stopped I see who called. Why cant people get that? The machine takes the call. If its about business,,,, I cant remember a time I got an answer from Telus, shaw, my water service or a gov office right away so why cant you tell your customer you'll get right back to them? We wait for everything, why not so we can save a life too?

Whilst i agree that phones in general can be a problem regardless of whether you are hands free or not i don't agree about the business calling. This is a rough time for many businesses, particularly small local businesses who rely on all calls being forwarded to their cell. For every call that they miss there is the potential for someone else to get the job. Most people in this town are not really that loyal when it comes down to it. They will easily call someone else if they get no response.
Large companies can afford to use voicemail and secretaries to field calls without lost business worries but the local guy needs your business and knows if he fails to answer by the time he calls back you have the problem sorted.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Unless I am the only one in this town with patience then I cant truely believe that and if people actually feel a caller wont understand the put this on your mail box message,,,

"Hi, I am on the road and to help me save a life please leave your number and I promise I will call you back in 5 mins as soon as I can pull over to safety, Thank you for your understanding"

People will understand that.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”