Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by Gixxer »

Fancy wrote: Drivers texting at red lights aren't paying attention either and it is more than irritating to have to honk at someone to proceed on the green.

You didnt say it was annoying to honk a horn to proceed on the green?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You made a comparison - I didn't. I also used the word "irritating". Try again.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I find anyone not paying attention while driving irritating (and hazard on the road), especially cellphone users. Since the fines are so low no one give damn if they get caught.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Saw the best one today....

Little Champagne coloured car - chatting on the phone while exceeding the speed limit all by themselves in the HOV lane.....
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Another classic BUT no phone this time. As i was trying to navigate around the construction in Pandosy i found myself behind an SUV heading on KLO from Richter to Pandosy. When we arrived at the intersection which had a green light the driver moved to the right and then back to the left a bit and then just stopped completely and hey presto out came a large map which he/she held up in front of them.
I guess maybe phones are not the only problem, even old school maps can be a distraction.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Tony wrote:Saw the best one today....

Little Champagne coloured car - chatting on the phone while exceeding the speed limit all by themselves in the HOV lane.....

omg, i think i say the same one, young female ,long blone hair??
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Undercover Motorcycle Cop Pulling Over Phone Users

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Might be just me but the actions of the cop looks pretty dangerous too. If an unmarked bike slid between me and another car like that I might be inclined to swing the door open on his bike and say I had to get out because there was a Big spider on my leg. How the heck would I know it was a cop doing this kind of thing,,,, his actions look like that of an ignoramus bike rider trying to beat the traffic on the way to a party.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

the truth wrote:
omg, i think i say the same one, young female ,long blone hair??

No... this was a guy. Had an "N" on the car as well, but he looked too old for that so must be his kid's. Nice example huh?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tony wrote:

No... this was a guy. Had an "N" on the car as well, but he looked too old for that so must be his kid's. Nice example huh?

An older person could have an "N" as well if they moved here and just got their license. It's not age related.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Roadster wrote:Might be just me but the actions of the cop looks pretty dangerous too. If an unmarked bike slid between me and another car like that I might be inclined to swing the door open on his bike and say I had to get out because there was a Big spider on my leg. How the heck would I know it was a cop doing this kind of thing,,,, his actions look like that of an ignoramus bike rider trying to beat the traffic on the way to a party.

In many cities around the world lane-splitting is allowed for motorcyclists. You can also see the reflection of the officer's red/blue lights flashing.

I want that job. I'll work straight commission. What other business has an unlimited customer base and requires no advertising expense?
I birn quil I se
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Captain Awesome wrote:Undercover Motorcycle Cop Pulling Over Phone Users

I still dont get how being stopped at a red light in bumper to bumper traffic is considered distracted driver, how is it any different than looking down at the radio, a woman fixing her makeup in the mirror, or looking around at the scenery.

He should be pulling over people in the actual act of driving and using a phone.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Gixxer wrote:I still dont get how being stopped at a red light in bumper to bumper traffic is considered distracted driver, how is it any different than looking down at the radio, a woman fixing her makeup in the mirror, or looking around at the scenery.

He should be pulling over people in the actual act of driving and using a phone.

I'm willing to bet MANY of the advanced left-turn lights that expire with only 3 cars getting thru them are the result of this exact thing. I can't count how many times I've sat waiting to turn, we get the arrow, and it's several seconds before that first car turns or there's a huge gap between turning vehicles. A few seconds don't seem like much, but with the short nature of some of these turn lights you get stuck waiting for the next one for no good reason.

Using a cell phone at a red light isn't necessarily dangerous, but it's certainly distracting for many. And that's the law "distracted" driving, not dangerous.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”