Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by cutter7 »

staticspade wrote:I guess this is the wrong crowd to make a human mistake in front of and expect them to understand or have patience.
This quote thing has been trying. I don't normally partake, and am getting the hang of it, one edit fail at a time.
Apologies

Imagine, that the yellow box is larger, and around the comment that is your own.

Does that help?

It would help if I knew what comment of mine you were trying to quote, I went back a couple pages and did not see one of my quotes… this topic holds little to no interest to me anyway as I do not have a problem with people talking on their phones, Texting imho is a problem.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

That was a quote of a reply to a quote. Your name, roadsters quote.
Sorry about that there.
Enlighten me.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

I found these road forums to be insightful,and eye opening, but offensive.

People are creatures of habit, products of their environments, and quite often misinformed.
We all have, or know of, that Aunty, or grandmother, who has driven with the same breed of dog perched on her lap or shoulder since the 60s, She isn't a joyriding killer, she doesn't care only about herself, she isn't evil. Think she would benefit from this forum? Share what she read at her knitting club?
You grossly insult the people who you should be trying to get onboard.

As for posting pictures of a few people, unlucky enough, to be photographed, pre enlightenment, They don't deserve to be singled out. It is of no service to the general public. The police, or icbc should have somewhere you could send the photo and the photo be sent to them. I bet that would be the last time they ever made that mistake. I mean, do these people even know they are being publicly targeted?

Just because its legal, doesn't mean it right. (IMHO?)
Enlighten me.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

staticspade wrote:I found these road forums to be insightful,and eye opening, but offensive.

People are creatures of habit, products of their environments, and quite often misinformed.
We all have, or know of, that Aunty, or grandmother, who has driven with the same breed of dog perched on her lap or shoulder since the 60s, She isn't a joyriding killer, she doesn't care only about herself, she isn't evil. Think she would benefit from this forum? Share what she read at her knitting club?

As for posting pictures of a few people, unlucky enough, to be photographed, pre enlightenment, They don't deserve to be singled out. It is of no service to the general public. The police, or icbc should have somewhere you could send the photo and the photo be sent to them. I bet that would be the last time they ever made that mistake. I mean, do these people even know they are being publicly targeted?

Sorry i don't get what you are trying to say. You say this forum is offensive but who is it offensive to? People who have been caught red handed with phone in hand whilst driving? Obviously most will never see themselves anyways so what does it matter? You say that the aunty or grandmother isn't a joyriding killer but how safe is the practice of driving with dog on lap? Matters not how long she has been doing it the fact is its wrong and unsafe for the dog. Is she evil? no, is she stupid? yes

People are not coming on this thread to insult normal law abiding reasonably sensible drivers they are showing their extreme dislike for the way they totally disregard the laws regarding phone use whilst driving and nobody can offer a reasonable excuse that makes using your phone while driving acceptable, except the often overused "we've done it for years when it was legal, whats changed"
I watched a woman today to my left in the traffic. We must have stopped at every light from Pandosy to Spall and every time we stopped she was tapping away on her phone, head looking up every now and then to see if lights had changed, she just couldn't put it down. Its a bad addiction to some and needs to stop!
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

[/quote]
dodgerdodge wrote:People are not coming on this thread to insult normal law abiding reasonably sensible drivers they are showing their extreme dislike for the way they totally disregard the laws regarding phone use whilst driving

This can't be a place to Show extreme dislike for people, and also a place to post photos of the general public, Caught red handed by other distracted drivers, using electronics.
One or the other, not both.

I agree, something should be done. I'm simply suggesting that is a more admirable solution then
Public shaming.
Like finding ways you get through to the vast amount of people.
If they can make a an alarm that shuts off once you start walking, surely they can make a driving and operating a phone at all, impossible. !5 km/hour, phone powers down, or service does.
That would be perfect.
Enlighten me.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Here is an idea, take one of those big electronic billboards and connect it to some cameras along the road. Have pictures of drivers who are texting or talking while driving flash up on the board.
That might stop a few if they are shown in public to be breaking the law.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

staticspade wrote:I found these road forums to be insightful,and eye opening, but offensive.

Breaking the law is no reason to be singled out?

Don't think just because it's your granny with Fido on her lap makes it any safer than any other form of distracted driving out there.

Do they know they're being targeted? If they don't, they should be! Please make me aware that you are watching me...I'm planning on breaking the law! Totally unfair officer, I didn't know you'd catch me.

"Just because it's legal, doesn't make it right?"...yet you think that illegal activities are just fine?

Defending these drivers and excusing their behavior is far from a resolution to the problem...IMHO.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

staticspade wrote:We all have, or know of, that Aunty, or grandmother, who has driven with the same breed of dog perched on her lap or shoulder since the 60s, She isn't a joyriding killer, she doesn't care only about herself, she isn't evil.

She might not be an evil joyriding killer, but she sure as hell is irresponsible both as a dog owner and driver letting Fifi ride on her lap ... feel sorry for the day when Gramm's mistakes the gas for the brake and uses Pooches as an airbag. Driver's like that are idiots on two levels and should not only be loosing their license but their dog as well.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

First of all, Not defending anyone, and only using this woman as an example of a fellow human being, who would gain enlightenment on the subject by a an abuse free, TIPS to drivers, or stories of events that have happened.
NOBODY deserves to be singled out,
Who are you to convict and punish someone? Publicly, and without their knowledge.
Even just licence plate numbers, you are all telling half a story.
Tell your stories, but these witch hunt threads are a sad statement.
ANY witch hunt thread.
Im in no way, defending distracted drivers
Enlighten me.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

staticspade wrote:First of all, Not defending anyone, and only using this woman as an example of a fellow human being, who would gain enlightenment on the subject by a an abuse free, TIPS to drivers, or stories of events that have happened.
NOBODY deserves to be singled out,
Who are you to convict and punish someone? Publicly, and without their knowledge.
Even just licence plate numbers, you are all telling half a story.
Tell your stories, but these witch hunt threads are a sad statement.
ANY witch hunt thread.
Im in no way, defending distracted drivers

New to the internet?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

This thread, also promotes hatefulness, road rage and a new form of distracted driving to this new generation that you are all claiming, have electronics problems that need to be fixed.

This will not fix anything, you may not be driving, but with the amount of views these threads get, What do you think is going to happen.
Strapping a camera to your car is legal, but most people, would have to drive like an idiot to get the proper shot,
Enlighten me.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

Dizzy1 wrote:New to the internet?

Ahhh The everybody else is doing it excuse is ok in this sense then?
Enlighten me.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

staticspade wrote:Ahhh The everybody else is doing it excuse is ok in this sense then?

No, the "if you don't like the thread, then don't open it" excuse is OK in this sense.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

Dizzy1 wrote:No, the "if you don't like the thread, then don't open it" excuse is OK in this sense.

Why not? Some of the things that are on these threads, are things that are good to be reminded of or informed about.

And offensive comments, can be of a humane nature, and offend anyone who isn't desensitized by the abundance of online, mob-like mentality.

I'm not listed in here, so its not offensive because i'm a criminal, or caught red handed. To pretend that I am perfect, and fit to convict others and potentially ruin their lives, because of a traffic offence while using the same excuse you are using, would be like claiming I don't fart because I''m a girl.

Heres an example of informative posts.
I took this from the Van city police departments FAQ
DISTRACTED DRIVING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Can I use my cell phone at a red light or stopped in traffic? A: You may not be moving, but if you are stopped in traffic or at a stoplight, you are still considered to be driving. You need to legally park before you pick up the phone.
Q: Can I use my mp3 player and find a song? A: Sure, but you need to park first. An mp3 player is considered an electronic device and you cannot have it in hand.
Q: Can I pick up the phone to check the time? A: No, you cannot pick up the phone.
Q: Can I use my cell phone at all in the car if I am driving? A: You can have your cell phone securely mounted to your vehicle and one-touch use to answer a call. Better yet, consider using Bluetooth or other wireless technology.
Q: Can I hold the phone in my hand while on speaker phone? A: No, the phone must be securely mounted so that you are not able to hold it.
Q: Can I use my GPS while I am driving? A: Only if you pre-program your GPS with the audio setting and it is securely mounted in the vehicle.
Q: Can I keep the phone in my lap or the cup holder of my car? A: No, the phone must be securely mounted so that you are not able to pick it up.
Q: Can I have earphones in that are connected to my phone? A: Only one earbud can be used while driving.
Q: Can I use Bluetooth if I am an “N” driver? A: No, “N” or “L” drivers cannot use any electronic device.
Q: Can I take a photo with my cell phone when I am in my car? A: Not unless you are parked

There are a lot of ways to inform people, Humour, emotion, facts.....Hate just breeds more hate and ignorance
Enlighten me.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

staticspade wrote:I'm not listed in here, so its not offensive because i'm a criminal, or caught red handed. To pretend that I am perfect, and fit to convict others and potentially ruin their lives, because of a traffic offence

Sorry, but no dice. The cell phone law is not new, it's well-publicized, and it's proven that at least texting while driving is at least as dangerous as driving while drunk. The dangers are very real. If you insist on talking while driving, you are required to use handsfree. A cheapo bluetooth headset is less than $20.

What these self-entitled prats are exemplifying is that their own self-entitlement to talk and text is worth more than the well-being of the other road users around them. Or to spin it a slightly different way - your safety to them is worth less than $20.

The photo that I posted was taken on Harvey. In the middle of the day in busy traffic. I had at least one shot where the driver was staring at his screen for about 2 seconds while moving. Do I feel bad about posting it? Not in the least. It occurred in a public place. That driver can have zero expectations of privacy while being in public.

It's absolutely no different than the photos snapped of the vancouver rioters being used to prosecute them. Those were also very publicly posted. I'm quite sure you didn't worry about embarrassing or humiliating any of that crowd, right?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”