Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by 36Drew »

*Note: Be sure to black out the license plate number of any photo you place here/Jo*

Getting tired of seeing idiots around town on their bloody phones while driving. So I've started a pet-project. There's a camera in my vehicle. If you get spotted using your cell, one of the passengers will take a picture of you, and of your license plate.

Saturday, March 24 2012, about 11am, doing 60kph southbound on Harvey.
Attachments
DSCF0310 - small.jpg
DSCF0309 - small.JPG
Last edited by 36Drew on Mar 25th, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
process99
Board Meister

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by process99 »

dodgerdodge wrote:But i see this as a bit flawed. How does the phone now distinguish between driver and passenger? If the movement of vehicle shut down the cell the passengers couldn't use theirs either.

Most of the new phones have several sensors in them that can be used to make the lock active in many ways. The phone can be unlocked with the mobile code for passengers, no different than a keylock. Its the ACT of unlocking the phone that removes most/all of the doubt as to whether or not it was being used during an incident/mobile. (example).

dodgerdodge wrote:My navigation systems disables the programming while driving, based on vehicle not in park mode, but whilst this is a good idea it means my passenger cannot select a new destination for me either.

Thats the idea without exeptions, you have to think to stop then enter the new destination. The same logic would apply to unlocking a phone that has "locked" itself via sensor inputs.(the phone would have an unlock), but if you used it and then had an accident proving you were using it would be VERY simple.

Its very simple to implement and its very simple to operate, its really no different than your nav, it just has a bypass you/passenger have to enter in order to use it mobile.(example)Then its ALL you, no excuses.

EG: ACCIDENT.....Where you using your phone? ,"no officer" lets have a look, menu ,mobile unlock log, display , hmm. accident occured at 5:31 pm pst hmm phone mobile lock disabled at 5:28 pst for 3.0 mins. hmmm guilty.

P99
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

process99 wrote:
Most of the new phones have several sensors in them that can be used to make the lock active in many ways. The phone can be unlocked with the mobile code for passengers, no different than a keylock. Its the ACT of unlocking the phone that removes most/all of the doubt as to whether or not it was being used during an incident/mobile. (example).

Its very simple to implement and its very simple to operate, its really no different than your nav, it just has a bypass you/passenger have to enter in order to use it mobile.(example)Then its ALL you, no excuses.

EG: ACCIDENT.....Where you using your phone? ,"no officer" lets have a look, menu ,mobile unlock log, display , hmm. accident occured at 5:31 pm pst hmm phone mobile lock disabled at 5:28 pst for 3.0 mins. hmmm guilty.

P99

I like your statement about it being very simple to implement and operate. Whilst i have no doubt you know what you are talking about and technically may be right the experience i have had with modern smart phones and what they are "supposed to do" versus what they "actually do" leads me to believe it may be a whole different story.
My Dodge has bluetooth and voice activation and display. My i phone also has all these wonderful things. Do they successfully mate and work seamlessly together, er NO. When my phone says "home calling" my display says "egh5552241fftt" or similar, when the display says incoming call sometimes you can answer it sometimes you cannot, sometimes it swaps between handsfree and not. Dodge say it's Apple, and of course Apple say "what problem" even though a quick google brings up a few thousand similar complaints.
What about a short sharp electric shock delivered to the operator of said phone via the handset if it is touched whilst inside the vehicle?
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

dodgerdodge wrote:I like your statement about it being very simple to implement and operate. Whilst i have no doubt you know what you are talking about and technically may be right the experience i have had with modern smart phones and what they are "supposed to do" versus what they "actually do" leads me to believe it may be a whole different story.

This is just comm/os/software issues related to profit/lazy programmers/security. Stanardized communications is a result of safety related legislated changes to firmware/os/apps, so this removes the gigildy gobbledop quimdarp when they can "talk/communicate" but don't understand each others language.(works with people too oddly enough) It really is just another lock using existing HW.

dodgerdodge wrote:What about a short sharp electric shock delivered to the operator of said phone via the handset if it is touched whilst inside the vehicle?

Life would be painful for some.Wait, it already is.

P99
lostsurferinbc
Fledgling

Post by lostsurferinbc »

Here is an idea. You get into your car, buckle up and set a feature on your phone that says "vehicle" the phone is instantly connected to your car Nav via blue tooth or wifi (I prefer blue tooth). When someone texts you the cars Nav displays only the name and number and an audible voice "text from Jason." You reply back to the car "read text from Jason" and the car reads it out loud to you with no text display on the screen. To reply to the text you hit the only touch button that might say "reply" and talk freely recording your speech then sending it back to the texter as a audible file.
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

lostsurferinbc wrote:Here is an idea. You get into your car, buckle up and set a feature on your phone that says "vehicle" the phone is instantly connected to your car Nav via blue tooth or wifi (I prefer blue tooth). When someone texts you the cars Nav displays only the name and number and an audible voice "text from Jason." You reply back to the car "read text from Jason" and the car reads it out loud to you with no text display on the screen. To reply to the text you hit the only touch button that might say "reply" and talk freely recording your speech then sending it back to the texter as a audible file.

These features are already available on "most" smartphones, your first suggestion is autoconnect and your second idea is txt to speech to txt.
EG: If I wanted too, my phone does and will connect as soon as I am in my car for 20 seconds and without touching ANYTHING I could say "send txtmsg to "abcd" phone replys "ready" I say my msg then phone replys "ready to send txt msg to "abcd" I reply "send" phone replys "msg sent at "timestamp" to "abcd".

The exact same idea applies when it gets a msg if its set this way.
Incoming msg from "abcd"....speak/read msg ......"speak" ......msg is read....end action.

Does it work? , sure. Do I like it? Sorta its fancy and all cool ect. Do I use it for txt , not really. I kinda like to read and reply with more thinking than is allocated while driving so for me its ignored or I use the autoanswer to send a generic reply txt back informing them I will look closer at their txt when I have time.
Honestly if "they/GP" cannot handle holding a phone to their ear while driving(stats), then all the features in the world won't fix the real problem. It could in fact cause more harm as it kinda trys to skirt the regs/laws and at the same time forces the average person to TRY and use it to reply. Cool idea, execution is another completly different story.
However the other things it does that are usefull...what time is it?..it answers....where is xxx? it answers....time to destination? it answers, what/where is xxx? it googles and reads the answer stuff like that. (whatever I have it set to do upon certain voice commands ect.)
EG: Where is "abc" answer "xyx" ,set destination "xyx", time to destination "jkl" , accept "xyx", new command "play music" "whatever", all without ever touching the phone or even removing from my pocket.
You know its bad when your talking to someone and THE PHONE starts answering from my pocket or car.
Why does phone use while driving NEED to be legislated? , this is why.

P99
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Now I know what a "gifted" driver looks like. This is the guy who was awarded the "you can do anything while driving licence because you're so awesome".

Man I wish i could get me one of those. :dyinglaughing:
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I really hope that this forum gets used lots. If it does, it will gain momentum and other publications will draw attention too it and then the chance that people will either see themselves or someone they know grows.

Embarrassment sometimes is the key to change. Some, sadly will see themselves and not care but most will. It is human nature to not want attention drawn toward oneself for the majority so embarrass away. Yee Hawww!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Still waiting for more photos. One photo isn't quite showing the extent of the problem!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

dodgerdodge wrote:Still waiting for more photos. One photo isn't quite showing the extent of the problem!

I'll be grabbing more this weekend. Feel free to take some of your own...
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

More pics, more pics,,,,
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

36Drew wrote:
I'll be grabbing more this weekend. Feel free to take some of your own...

Oh i wish i could, i see so many but i cannot while driving of course. Even though it seems to be big news lately i still see many everyday and women seem to be worse than men although i don't have specific numbers to prove that just my observations.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Curious just how distracted You are while having your passenger snaps photos... Pullin up alongside, focusing on everything else but driving Your car, pulling up behind to get the license plate, laughing and joking or angry... Ya I can see it, the model driver focusing his or her attention on someone else and not where it should be, at the end of your nose driving your own car.

This is exactly the behaviour you're railing against.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

WhatThe wrote:Curious just how distracted You are while having your passenger snaps photos... Pullin up alongside, focusing on everything else but driving Your car, pulling up behind to get the license plate, laughing and joking or angry... Ya I can see it, the model driver focusing his or her attention on someone else and not where it should be, at the end of your nose driving your own car.

This is exactly the behaviour you're railing against.

Dunno if I agree with that. i am in the next lane, all I gotta do is drive like I would while the passenger snaps a pic. Its not like in the movies, racing and trying to let the passenger jump from one car to another. Kids take pics from cars, grandmas do during trips,,, i dont see it as anymore dangerous then all that goes on in a car as long as you drive and the passenger shoots.
I even have my passenger answer my cell if I am expecting an important call. I still drive as normal.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Grizzly550
Fledgling

Post by Grizzly550 »

To avoid attacking drivers of emergency vehicles, lets make sure everyone remembers police officers are trained professionals who are legally allowed to use cell phones while driving. So no pics of them. (end of story, let's not debate if this is right or wrong)
Otherwise, I'm all for this thread!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”