Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
zyzzx
Fledgling

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by zyzzx »

Huh... interesting theory. Did you notice the idiot with the phone in her ear?
Doing drugs supports crime. Are you happy that you support crime? Just think how much society would save if you didn't support the criminals that are producing drugs. Medicinal? Good on you! That is why the Doctor gave you a prescription.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

zyzzx wrote:Huh... interesting theory. Did you notice the idiot with the phone in her ear?

Among other things, yes.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

I see texting and cell phones wherever we go , on a daily basis. once I caught her attention and she gave me the finger and kept on talking.The other day I was out walking my dogs when a gal pulled a uturn in front of us. One hand on the wheel ,one hand to her ear ,two kids strapped into car seats in the back seat.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Driving a huge dumper truck is certainly more challenging when you have your phone clamped to your ear and only one hand to steer, indicate and change gear with which explains the awful driving in front of me today turning off Hwy 97 onto Westlake. The guy failed to indicate then almost pulled out in front of the traffic turning from the highway on the green arrow, i could clearly see his phone to his ear in his large mirrors. No idea what company but was a dark blue cab.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dodgerdodge wrote:Driving a huge dumper truck is certainly more challenging when you have your phone clamped to your ear and only one hand to steer, indicate and change gear with which explains the awful driving in front of me today turning off Hwy 97 onto Westlake. The guy failed to indicate then almost pulled out in front of the traffic turning from the highway on the green arrow, i could clearly see his phone to his ear in his large mirrors. No idea what company but was a dark blue cab.

I am now calling/e-mailing any Company who I see one of their employees talking on the phone while driving a Company vehicle. It's not acceptable!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Me too, I saw a guy in a marked company vehicle a while back, swearing and yelling out his window at people ahead of him coming out of Costco's parking lot one day, fist flying and all,,, musta bin wasting company time and realised he had to be back long ago. Maybe the Costco run was a personal thing on company dime and the line ups were long that day :dyinglaughing:
I will be calling in those that abuse the road in any way and already have. Gonna be some butt firing goin on.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Yesterday morning, I was about to enter the traffic circle on Louie Dr. coming form the Walmart direction. I wanted to essentially go straight through and there was a guy in a jacked up truck waiting to enter to go toward the highway and he didn't yield to me because he had a phone plugged into his head. He had to stop really suddenly which would have been appreciated by his female traveling companion.

Why is it so hard to simply leave the damn thing alone while you're driving?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Post by Takin it easy ! »

ledzep77 wrote:Yesterday morning, I was about to enter the traffic circle on Louie Dr. coming form the Walmart direction. I wanted to essentially go straight through and there was a guy in a jacked up truck waiting to enter to go toward the highway and he didn't yield to me because he had a phone plugged into his head. He had to stop really suddenly which would have been appreciated by his female traveling companion.

Why is it so hard to simply leave the damn thing alone while you're driving?
Because ledzep they are addicted to them for some today's drug of choice !
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Bsuds wrote:I am now calling/e-mailing any Company who I see one of their employees talking on the phone while driving a Company vehicle. It's not acceptable!

Me too! A few weeks ago now I saw someone that was driving a marked company truck from one of our local "we're here for you 24/7 in case of disaster (water, fire, wind etc.)" companies driving through a school zone nevertheless and talking on his cell phone totally oblivious to surrounding pedestrians and other traffic. I e-mailed the company with some detailed information about the driver and they responded a couple of days later saying that he had been warned etc. and that it is their policy that drivers must use company provided blue-tooth devices while driving their vehicles. At least they had the decency to get back to me.
Galabb

Post by Galabb »

In the hope that some of the offenders read this forum .....

Please do everyone a big favour, especially yourself ….
Truly read this letter and actually think about it for a few minutes.

How do you think your life would change if you killed or maimed someone because
you were talking or texting on your cel phone while driving?

How do you think your friends and family would look at you from that day forward?
What would it do to your career?

How do think you would feel? Would you be cavalier and unfazed?
Would life go on as before? Or would you have nightmares for the rest of your life?
Never mind the financial costs after that. That will be no big deal.

You have to already know that accidents happen even when we are paying FULL
attention on the road. You never know what the other drivers are going to do.
You already know that it only takes a split second to have, …. or to avoid an accident.

AND you've probably ALREADY had a close call.

Please turn off your cel phone when you are behind the wheel.
Everyone will respect you for it!

I watched a young woman just the other day, driving a mini van with a family
of "stick people" on the back window. She was smoking a cigarette and texting
while driving in the HOV lane on Harvey. Talk about multi-tasking!
I'm sure she'll recognize herself here. I don't think she even knows that she
was drifting out of her lane.
godfatherI

Post by godfatherI »

Talking on your cell while driving seems to make some oblivious to their surroundings.
On Enterprise at 97 this afternoon waiting for the light - a woman was busy yakking on her cell - the car right behind her was RCMP - as soon as the light changed and she scooted across the highway the flashing lights came on. I suspect the officer gave the driver the benefit of the doubt while stopped at the light but when she carried on yakking when she started driving - that's all folks! She was madly trying to ditch her cell as I drove by both cars who were now stopped at the Petro Can. Serves her right - put your phone down and pay attention when you're driving - it isn't worth the risk of an accident.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Very good, thanks for the story, hope she got a nice ticket and will put that thing in her pocket for her next drive. If a person in her shoes today gave it some thought she could realize a cop caught her actions and not a nasty accident sending herself or someone else to hospital or the morgue.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

JTGTI wrote:For those that are complaining about this regulation. Be happy this isn't the UK, where drinking(anything non-alcoholic) or eating is illegal while driving. Drivers caught are charged with driving without due care and attention.

Except to not get pinched there is easy, just keep it down out of sight in front of the traffic cameras and you're home free. Dont know where the cameras are? there's an app for that...
what about traffic cops? the police don't do that there on a large scale, you'll probably never see one...

Cant chew gum and walk? get a bus pass or rail ticket, or better yet get an oyster card...
The UK has an actual public transit system that works.... not the joke that passes for one here...
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

A lady crossed a solid line and passed me in a school zone today, while I was doing 30.
She narrowly missed a car that made a right turn off an intersecting road in front of her.
Thru it all, her phone was stuck to her head.
Too bad there wasnt any speed enforcement there today, she deserved to get caught.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Roads today in West Kelowna were very slick in parts. Getting onto Hwy97 heading to the bridge and i could feel the surface was a bit dodgy but still everyone is flying down the highway like its a summers day and then we had to brake for traffic ahead and i saw at least 2 cars slipping around as they struggled to stop. I don't know what was going on behind me but vehicle in outside lane stopped and guy got out so maybe someone hit him. So at this point traffic is moving ahead much slower through Boucherie and into the "construction zone" as everyone starts to realize it aint dry sticky pavement under their wheels, well all except idiot man that flew past me and others like we were stationary whilst wrestling with a cigarette and a phone both held in left hand as his right hand was tapping the keys!!!!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”