Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by Always Sunny »

Steve-O wrote:Shoulder was big enough. Could he have been rear ended? Yep. Or a piano could of fallen from the sky and crushed him. Whats it matter? The dude at least made an effort.

Not as much could be said of the guy parked in the bus pullout right in front of the CIBC at Orchard Park on Harvey this morning. Who the heck does that? You couldn't wait another 8 seconds to pull into the Orchard Park lot itself? What are you going to do when the bus comes and you're in the middle of that super urgent call?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Take your pics to the cops, I caught an old man in a red car texting while driving down 33 a while back and took his pic and pics of his plates, they seemed quite interested. Seems the young ones are not the only ones slamming their own nails into their own coffins for an early out, even an old guy is booking it sooner then his time.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

rideforever wrote:How big was the shoulder? Was he right beside traffic? If you've been rear-ended before or watched 'worlds wildest police videos' and seen that even police cars with lights on get rear ended in the shoulder, you might not think that's such a great place to sit.

Steve-O wrote:Shoulder was big enough. Could he have been rear ended? Yep. Or a piano could of fallen from the sky and crushed him. Whats it matter? The dude at least made an effort.

Stopping in the shoulder is dumb. So is standing under pianos.

Depending on the situation, stopping in the shoulder can be more dangerous than talking while driving. Both of those options involve adding a bit of risk to your life and that of everyone around you and should not be encouraged.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Brilliant.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Interesting that half the time the trainer isn't wearing his seat belt...almost went thru the windshield! lol

I saw a woman run a red light on Benvoulin this morning while she read her mail!!! (paper mail)
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Originally this forum was supposed to be about taking pictures of people texting. I hardly see any pictures. I come back to this all the time hoping to see some good action but nothing. haha.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

samsquench07 wrote:Originally this forum was supposed to be about taking pictures of people texting. I hardly see any pictures. I come back to this all the time hoping to see some good action but nothing. haha.

Feel free to take some and post them. Riding season hit not long after I posted the first one, so I stopped being a passenger with a camera. Then I got hit (by an idiot who I seriously believe was on a cell phone), so I just stopped going out for a while. Now I've moved away. There's plenty of cell-phone-using drivers down here, but the police very actively enforce the law and ticket drivers here.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Glad to see the police in Vernon got out over valentines and nailed some of these people. They should do that everyday till people smarten up.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

Front page of Castanet with the accident on the Coquihala. It's hard enough to drive in the snow up there, yet the photographer manages to do it while holding a camera to take pictures of an accident. Way to go!
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

Roadster wrote:
If that was so then the media would be getting sued daily,,, almost any pic they take includes a bystander and when they run video on the street there is almost always someone in the backgrounds. People take pics on a busy beach,, do you think they ask permission of anyone caught in the camera? They post them on web sites. I think the only time someone can sue is if they are used in advertizing for the purpose of someones gain without being asked.
I was shot in a video once for advertisement many years ago and I was asked. I was also shot in a news piece by OKBC I believe it was called where they asked me for a comment and they told me it would be played to the public on their web site.

Privacy Act, 1.:
Violation of privacy actionable
(1) It is a tort, actionable without proof of damage, for a person, wilfully and without a claim of right, to violate the privacy of another.
(2) The nature and degree of privacy to which a person is entitled in a situation or in relation to a matter is that which is reasonable in the circumstances, giving due regard to the lawful interests of others.
(3) In determining whether the act or conduct of a person is a violation of another’s privacy, regard must be given to the nature, incidence and occasion of the act or conduct and to any domestic or other relationship between the parties.
(4) Without limiting subsections (1) to (3), privacy may be violated by eavesdropping or surveillance, whether or not accomplished by trespass.
It is not a violation of privacy if it is a matter of public interest.

Privacy Act, 2. (3):
A publication of a matter is not a violation of privacy if (a) the matter published was of public interest or was fair comment on a matter of public interest, or (b) the publication was privileged in accordance with the rules of law relating to defamation.

Singling out one distracted driver and humiliating them, fixes maybe 1 driver.
Its defamation. A mean spirited, barely proactive, witch hunt
Last edited by staticspade on Mar 8th, 2014, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enlighten me.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

Surely you come up with something better then this to solve the problem
Last edited by staticspade on Mar 8th, 2014, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enlighten me.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

**Insert any hate dripping, unnecessary, quote of your choosing**

Wow. Maybe people are emotionally involved, too be safe vigilantes on the road.
Whoever took this was glaring her down...heart racing......straining to see it all (legally, officially)
My guess is that the photo owners are just distracted at the time of the photo, by these people, as these people are by their phones. Probably more.
Channelling hatefulness, onto random people, will get us nowhere.
There is a lot of hate on this subject, for good reason, but this one woman is a small fish in a big pond.
Think bigger then this.
Do you think you will scare people? more then they would be of police? You are hardly doing a public service. Unless the public interest is in the interest of verbally bashing scapegoats.
Last edited by staticspade on Mar 8th, 2014, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enlighten me.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

staticspace,, are you trying to comment on something I said? if so the quote box was empty so I have no idea what you are trying to say.
staticspade

Post by staticspade »

I guess this is the wrong crowd to make a human mistake in front of and expect them to understand or have patience.
This quote thing has been trying. I don't normally partake, and am getting the hang of it, one edit fail at a time.
Apologies

Imagine, that the yellow box is larger, and around the comment that is your own.

Does that help?
Enlighten me.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”