Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Home of the traffic rant.
superstar

Re: Gotcha! Driving while texting or talking on phone

Post by superstar »

To the woman driving the silver Toyota suv on Glenmore Rd into Kelowna this morning. Not only were you not driving the posted speed limit you were all over the road, including the bike lane. You are very lucky that no children were riding their bikes to school this morning. Please put your phone away as you are NOT that important!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Had to have happened here.

text2.jpg
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Read this thread, stunned there were people actually defending these txters, when the day comes that one creams you remember that.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Texters

Post by I Think »

Was in Vernon and Kelowna yesterday, saw two stealth texters. they both have the phone on the seat beside them and keep bobbing their heads down to use phone.
One I actually saw the phone when he passed me, and again at a light, Car was painted with signs for a paint/coverings supplier.
The other was a kid in a pick up, was behind him in Kelowna, he was late to leave the stop light because his head was down, & he wobbled around whilst bobbing his head to phone.
We're lost but we're making good time.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Re: Texters

Post by dodgerdodge »

I often drive a commercial size truck so sitting higher up allows a good view of other drivers and it truly is a very serious problem that needs addressing yet i don't know how we can get through to these idiots. I see drivers every single day tapping away at their phones whilst at stop signs or lights and more frighteningly whilst driving. Guy yesterday with one hand on wheel and one on phone in middle lane of Harvey and pretty much the entire length he was tapping away at the keys looking up every now and again. Another guy in front had his phone held right up in front of him obviously reading stuff and replying and every now and then he would drift over the line into next lane, in fact you can pretty much tell who is looking at their phone by the way they drive. I've seen mums and dads do it whilst their kids are in the car which sends a signal to the younger generation that its ok as my parents do it. Local realtors, painters, delivery drivers and many many others with their business name spread across the vehicle, even a guy driving a huge semi through Kelowna last week!
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I Think wrote:Was in Vernon and Kelowna yesterday, saw two stealth texters. they both have the phone on the seat beside them and keep bobbing their heads down to use phone.
One I actually saw the phone when he passed me, and again at a light, Car was painted with signs for a paint/coverings supplier.
The other was a kid in a pick up, was behind him in Kelowna, he was late to leave the stop light because his head was down, & he wobbled around whilst bobbing his head to phone.

And you took a plate number and reported it right? Or just ran to these forums and bitched about it?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

skydawg wrote:

And you took a plate number and reported it right? Or just ran to these forums and bitched about it?

When I see someone on the phone or texting and they are driving a company vehicle I will send an email to them advising of their employee's behavior!
Unfortunately I really. Don't think the police have time to do anything.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

In neither of the two cases that I saw, was I able to get a license number. Did not have a pen handy to write down the company name on the company car.
Just ran here to *bleep*. You sound like a texter.
We're lost but we're making good time.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I Think wrote:In neither of the two cases that I saw, was I able to get a license number. Did not have a pen handy to write down the company name on the company car.
Just ran here to *bleep*. You sound like a texter.

I thought so
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

skydawg wrote:And you took a plate number and reported it right? Or just ran to these forums and bitched about it?

Bsuds wrote:When I see someone on the phone or texting and they are driving a company vehicle I will send an email to them advising of their employee's behavior!
Unfortunately I really. Don't think the police have time to do anything.

I was headed down toe Vancouver a couple of years ago with a HUGE moron in a company truck (construction) towing a poorly wrapped boat was being super aggressive, riding my *bleep* in the rain, despite the fact I was completely with the flow of traffic.

Anywho...

My girlfriend was in the front seat beside me so we texted the cell number on the side of his truck "nice driving a**hole" and wouldn't you know, *bleep* driver actually replies to the text. "I'm an awesome driver, thanks". Haha that's why when you finally passed us you managed to get 3 vehicles ahead of us over a 100km+ stretch.

Never know where those calls/emails go. Probably directly to the moron driving said vehicle.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

There are so many "owner operators" in this town that calling the business number will likely just get you through to the dipstick driving. And to add that if like me you are mostly on your own in the vehicle it is not really ideal to be writing down peoples plates or company numbers whilst on the move.
I have always wondered what happens when you ring one of these numbers on a vehicle that says "how's my driving" and tell them its *bleep*
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I was recently driving behind a woman who was texting / talking on her phone the entire 15 minutes I was driving along side her. From downtown all the way down Gordon and up into upper mission. She was speeding 15 - 25 over just to catch the same red light as the rest of us, using the "Must make right turn" lane at Old Meadows as a passing lane, and a very large starbucks ice cap in the other hand. She cut me off, and at least one other person....and the absolute worst part is she was driving the #49 Okanagan
Boy's and Girl's club mini van.

Tried to complain twice and no one will pick up the phone, but to be fair I start work early and end late...so maybe they were closed. Waiting for a day off to try again.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

JonyDarko wrote:I was recently driving behind a woman who was texting / talking on her phone the entire 15 minutes I was driving along side her. From downtown all the way down Gordon and up into upper mission. She was speeding 15 - 25 over just to catch the same red light as the rest of us, using the "Must make right turn" lane at Old Meadows as a passing lane, and a very large starbucks ice cap in the other hand. She cut me off, and at least one other person....and the absolute worst part is she was driving the #49 Okanagan
Boy's and Girl's club mini van.

Tried to complain twice and no one will pick up the phone, but to be fair I start work early and end late...so maybe they were closed. Waiting for a day off to try again.

Wait a second,,, I hate to catch you on this one but how did you keep up with her for 15 mins if "She" was speeding 15 to 25 over the limit? Sounds a little bit like a chase going on. At her rate of speed I think I would have seen a glimps of her if I was doing the limit so two wrongs there, well three for her and one for you.
Someone like her drinking an ice cap, texting and speeding I would Not ride beside that long, you took some great chances there when you could have ran the speed limit and let her take her own chances well ahead of you. I woulda pulled over and called the cops on her. If they had someone out there they coulda pulled her over, her game ends.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I was in a company vehicle with a coworker..a rather large 5 ton truck actually , equipped with GPS. I never exceeded the speed limit and I have records from said GPS to prove that. As I said I was next to her at every red light, hence why I knew about the drink and such . also it is fairly easy to see through someone's rear and side windows in a truck of that size, I could see the outline of her arm to her ear from a fair distance away .
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

Also, traffic kept her from speeding consistently she was not speeding the whole time but did roast a school zone at 50-60k right after she blew past me in the right hand turning lane before old meadows.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”