Lord of the Board

Re: Texting While Driving in Kelowna - Epidemic

Post by LTD »

hey you can phone anyone you want but that doesn't mean they can do anything
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

If you're trying to be funny, don't quit your day job!!!
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well answer the question then what is icbc gonna do the way I see it they cant do a dam thing so your wasting your time but correct me if im wrong
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

When I had to phone in my claim, due to the idiot who totaled my truck as a direct result of her texting and NOT paying attention. The person who I spoke with said that if you catch people talking on the phone, and texting you can phone in ICBC and they will send out warnings etc.

It might not seem like much, but with all the DING DONGS out there who care more about their phones then the safety of others, its at least a start.
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

chicklo wrote:I didn't say I drive better on my cell phone. But I can use my phone and still drive safely. Should I assume that since you didn't respond to it your ok with ppl who are exempt from the cell phone laws driving drunk? Links were posted detailing cell phone use apparently being worse than drunk drivers so why do we allow some but not all? I've also stated that I am following the law but wish there was room for exceptions. Typical castanet posters want to jump on anyone who puts out an opinion isnt the same as the one they have.

Actually you said exactly what I posted, I only switched the words "after a few drinks" for "on my phone". You should assume that I didn't respond to the suggestion that anyone should be allowed a drunk driving exemption because I thought it so asinine that it didn't warrant a response.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The human brain does not do as well under multitasking situations, and driving while talking on the cell phone involves a particularly difficult sort of multitasking: doing a visual task (like driving) and doing an auditory task (like talking on the phone) at the same time. This sort of multitasking requires the use of two separate brain regions simultaneously. And a 2001 study by Marcel Just at Carnegie Mellon showed that when volunteers did one task at a time, they used 37 voxels (small brain regions), but when they did both a visual and an auditory task simultaneously, they only used 42 voxels—far less than double. The brain has only so much processing capacity, and adding new tasks bogs all of them down. As Just commented, “You can't just keep piping new things through, and expect the brain to keep up. With practice, the brain can become more efficient at carrying out multiple tasks, but performance is never as good as when the tasks are carried out independently.”

The above is directed at Chicklo but really at anyone who thinks they are the evolutionary exception to biology.

Use a Bluetooth or put your phone in the trunk. Simple.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If your an owner operator providing a service you need to answer the phone, few people leave messages-most just call someone else.
I use a hands free device.

Hate to think a phone call is all it takes to get a warning letter from ICBC or whoever without no real evidence other than from some possibly delusional idiot. Get a DASHCAM-Record the effect not the cause.Without becoming distracted yourself.
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

You can tell who's texting while driving. They either have their cell phone placed right on their steering wheel or they keep looking down at their lap. People are so blatant about it these days. When your truck gets totaled by some stupid twit who was texting behind you, you'll be on the look out in the future while driving.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Leave it to the cops to deal with it. Get a dashcam for the rest, maybe you can record a texter, a drunk, a pilled up grandma or someone with a Chihuahua on their lap who can't keep it between the lines.
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

A dashcam is a good idea!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

*One text takes a driver's eyes off the road for about 4.6 seconds:

At 55-mph, that’s like driving an entire football field blindfolded. If this results in reckless driving, insurance rates go up more than a first-time DWI.More than 8 in 10 people eat or drink while driving.

* While taking a drink, drivers were 18% more likely to swerve into a neighboring lane.

The most dangerous item: Coffee.

* In a simulation, cell phone talkers got in more accidents than those driving drunk.

It’s no wonder — talking on a cell phone, even hands-free, slows reaction time by 26%.

* Music - During a 30-minute commute, the average driver plays music for 21 minutes.

A car radio can easily reach 95 decibels, the same volume as a noisy lawn mower. This sound level regularly causes hearing damage and reaction time slows 20%.

* Children -8% of parents said they had caused an accident because of a crying child.

The average parent takes their eyes off the road for a staggering 3 minutes and 22 seconds during a 16-min trip.

It's a wonder anyone gets anywhere safely.

Most drivers are already doing way to much while they should be focused on driving, to add texting is just asking for an accident.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

[/quote]

The above is directed at Chicklo but really at anyone who thinks they are the evolutionary exception to biology.

Use a Bluetooth or put your phone in the trunk. Simple.[/quote]

If your going to direct a comment at me at least take a second and read what I post. I use a Bluetooth headset and have long before hands free became a law.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

sherashera wrote:When I had to phone in my claim, due to the idiot who totaled my truck as a direct result of her texting and NOT paying attention. The person who I spoke with said that if you catch people talking on the phone, and texting you can phone in ICBC and they will send out warnings etc.

I phoned the police with the details on a texter and they seemed to be interested as well. Should we be notifying both icbc and the police?

I know the police pass on information about points, maybe they do but if not this is another problem they should be working together to solve.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

It doesn't hurt to contact ICBC, I know the police can't be everywhere all the time.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”