Drive right pass left!

Home of the traffic rant.
Display Guy

Drive right pass left!

Post by Display Guy »

A huge problem in Kelowna is drivers putting along in the left lane when there are 2 lanes of traffic. Traffic moves much smoother if you stay in the right lane and let cars pass you from the left lane. And if you are in the right lane and need to make a left hand turn wait until you are less than a block away before moving over, don't hold up passing traffic in the left lane because you are turning left 10 blocks ahead. This in my opinion keeps traffic moving smoother and reduces tailgating in the left lane as well as road rage. That is why you see signs posted that read "Slower traffic keep right" Good rule of thumb is if you are driving in the left lane and traffic is passing you on the right you are in the wrong lane!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Drive right pass left!

Post by KL3-Something »

"Keep right except to pass" doesn't apply to city driving where the distance you are traveling is measured in "blocks". It only applies out on the highway where signs stating same are posted.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

KL3-Something wrote:"Keep right except to pass" doesn't apply to city driving where the distance you are traveling is measured in "blocks". It only applies out on the highway where signs stating same are posted.

No no no... it applies to school zones also!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I thought this only applied to you as to make room for me, me, me.. :sillygrin:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

KL3-Something wrote:"Keep right except to pass" doesn't apply to city driving where the distance you are traveling is measured in "blocks". It only applies out on the highway where signs stating same are posted.

That is exactly my point! Traffic would go smoother if you tried it! It works on highway why not in town also.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Display Guy wrote:That is exactly my point! Traffic would go smoother if you tried it! It works on highway why not in town also.

Because unlike highway, people in the city need to go left once in a while?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

LOL. K Town has no traffic, drive the I5 from the airport to Seattle - or the QEW friday rush hour.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote:LOL. K Town has no traffic, drive the I5 from the airport to Seattle - or the QEW friday rush hour.

That's right. We went through Seattle last week and it was bumper to bumper and stop and go for over an hour. That's how long it took to drive a few miles. The fun part was watching some of the idiots changing lanes back and forth thinking they would get there quicker. All they do is make the traffic slower as people have to slam on the brakes for them to fit in!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Display Guy wrote:That is exactly my point! Traffic would go smoother if you tried it! It works on highway why not in town also.

Because in town there are many times more vehicles on the roads and many times more vehicles entering and exiting the road at many more intersections and driveways. If everyone stayed right there would be a long line of cars in the right lane blocking vehicles from entering or crossing the road. We get traffic jams with three lanes, imagine what it would look like if all those vehicles were trying to stay in one lane.

On highways, an extra lane allows drivers to get past vehicles that cannot maintain the speed limit, such as loaded semi's or motorhomes on hills.

In cities, an extra lane reduces congestion by allowing allowing a greater volume of vehicles.
Display Guy

Post by Display Guy »

Driver on right

150 (1) The driver of a vehicle must confine the course of the vehicle to the right hand half of the roadway if the roadway is of sufficient width and it is practicable to do so, except

(a) when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction,

(b) when the right hand half of the roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair,

(c) on a highway designated and marked by signs for one way traffic,

(d) if necessary when operating snow removing equipment, or

(e) if

(i) the movement of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, is permitted by and is done in conformity with the terms of the oversize permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act, and

(ii) the width of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, or the width of a load on the vehicle makes the operation of the vehicle or combination of vehicles on the right hand half of the roadway unsafe.

(2) The driver of a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must drive the vehicle in the right hand lane then available for traffic, or as closely as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) The driver of a vehicle passing around a rotary traffic island must drive the vehicle to the right of the island.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Display Guy wrote:Driver on right

150 (1) The driver of a vehicle must confine the course of the vehicle to the right hand half of the roadway if the roadway is of sufficient width and it is practicable to do so, except

(a) when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction,

(b) when the right hand half of the roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair,

(c) on a highway designated and marked by signs for one way traffic,

(d) if necessary when operating snow removing equipment, or

(e) if

(i) the movement of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, is permitted by and is done in conformity with the terms of the oversize permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act, and

(ii) the width of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles, or the width of a load on the vehicle makes the operation of the vehicle or combination of vehicles on the right hand half of the roadway unsafe.

(2) The driver of a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing must drive the vehicle in the right hand lane then available for traffic, or as closely as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing a vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or when preparing for a left hand turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) The driver of a vehicle passing around a rotary traffic island must drive the vehicle to the right of the island.

How do you interpret "a vehicle proceeding at less than normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing"?

Are you thinking this just means "always" or maybe you're thinking "anyone that's in front of me is proceeding at less than normal speed"?
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

Here's how it works in this city:

-The right lane is used by people like me just trying to maintain an average speed but often get stuck behind people doing 20 under the limit because their brains can't process the moving scenery
-The left lane is used by people doing anywhere from 10 under to 40 over the limit, all while tailgating eachother, then swerving into the right lane when they realize their turn is in 20 feet
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Display Guy wrote:Driver on right

150 (1) The driver of a vehicle must confine the course of the vehicle to the right hand half of the roadway if the roadway is of sufficient width and it is practicable to do so, except.....

And your point is....?

I think you may be misinterpreting this section's meaning. It doesn't state that, where there are two lanes in the same direction, a vehicle must be in the right lane except to pass. This section is what keeps you on your own side of the yellow line except to pass etc.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

netfreak wrote:Here's how it works in this city:

-The right lane is used by people like me just trying to maintain an average speed but often get stuck behind people doing 20 under the limit because their brains can't process the moving scenery
-The left lane is used by people doing anywhere from 10 under to 40 over the limit, all while tailgating eachother, then swerving into the right lane when they realize their turn is in 20 feet

Ha!
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

normaM wrote:LOL. K Town has no traffic, drive the I5 from the airport to Seattle - or the QEW friday rush hour.

You've got that right. Try driving the QEW/401/403/427 as a daily commute. Been there done that. The only thing this town has on real city traffic is a surplus of bluehairs toddling along & randomly slamming on their brakes when they realize they missed their turn. haha :sillygrin:
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”