Driving: A Privilege Or Right?

Home of the traffic rant.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Driving: A Privilege Or Right?

Post by Takin it easy ! »

Many say that driving is a privilege I have always been a believer that driving is a right here's why !
First of all one must work to attain a drivers license the end result of a long process of many hours of study,practice,testing and financial cost.
Secondly one must acquire a vehicle most of us work hard to do this.
Then one must purchase insurance for that vehicle.
So after all that work and expense one has earned the right to drive a vehicle, however if one is not a responsible driver and found to be unfit to drive then one should lose that right !
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Driving A Privilege Or Right ?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Driving is indeed a privilege. You can't lose a right to do something - because then it's not a right. You can only lose privilege.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Aug 21st, 2012, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I agree, driving is a privilege, and I think having safe places to walk is a right.

Edited to add: If driving were a right, there would be fewer hoops and expenses to go through.

A privilege is something that is earned; it is not granted as a matter of course.

After all, you did state: “So after all that work and expense one has earned…”
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

Captain Awesome wrote:Driving is indeed a privilege. You can't lose a right to do something - because then it's not a right. You can only lose privilege.
If this was the case consider this example I want to be a Doctor I go to university for years I learn the skills I need to practice my profession I spend thousands on my education I then write exams and pass them I have then earned the "right" to be a Doctor.

Another example Joe or Jill Blow has the "right" to live as a normal citizen in society with all the "rights" and freedoms that go along with it.
Joe or Jill decides to commit a crime deemed by society to be punishable by imprisonment at which point Joe or Jill loses their "right" to be a normal law abiding citizen living within the general populace.
So why is driving a privilege and just who gets to bestow that privilege ?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Consider this then: One has the right to attempt to fulfil the requirements necessary to obtain a licence to drive.
Takin it easy !
Übergod

kgcayenne wrote:Consider this then: One has the right to attempt to fulfil the requirements necessary to obtain a licence to drive.
Agreed then and only when these requirements have been fulfilled the individual has earned the "right" to drive !
bikeguy25
Fledgling

Post by bikeguy25 »

Obviously i am of the mind that it is a privlidge.....BUT just to use your example of having the RIGHT to become a doctor and RIGHT to live as a free citizen etc etc etc.......

If you are a doctor and committ mal-practice or do not follow the rules your RIGHT to be a doctor is removed....

If you committ crimes and get sent to prison your RIGHT to be a free citizen is removed....

If you drive and break the rules of the road then your RIGHT to drive is promptly suspended.

Privlidge or Rights can both be taken away.
DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

Driving is a right!
Another example: Everyone has the right to live freely...until the law is broken.
It is a right, but requirements have to be met and laws have to be kept to keep that right.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A Right is given by law, and a Privilege has to be earned.

Driving is a Privilege. Practicing medicine is a Privilege. Posting on Castanet is a Privilege. Voting is a Right.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Agreed, it's a privilege. One doesn't have their driving 'rights' suspended. That even sounds dumb. Driving privileges are suspended.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

bikeguy25 wrote:Obviously i am of the mind that it is a privlidge.....BUT just to use your example of having the RIGHT to become a doctor and RIGHT to live as a free citizen etc etc etc.......

If you are a doctor and committ mal-practice or do not follow the rules your RIGHT to be a doctor is removed....

I think an easier way to explain it:

- You have the right to go to school to learn how to practice medicine (right to an education)
- You have the right to apply for your license to practice medicine, granted you meet the criteria. Your license, however, is a privilege bestowed upon you by an authority that provides oversight and governance.

I think the above holds true regardless of one wanting to practice law or medicine (or a slough of other professions!), driving, or owning a firearm...
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
OffRoad
Übergod

Post by OffRoad »

Both.

Obtaining a drivers license is a privilege that grants you the legal right to drive certain classes of vehicles on public roads. It's a privilege because it is a special right that not everyone gets and it's still a right in that it allows you to do something (legally). The right to drive can be taken away at any time. It is not a moral right nor is it inalienable.

At least that's how I see it.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

If you speak relatively, most everything is a privilege. There is also the confusion between what is a right and what should be a right. We consider voting a right, but for those in countries with no elections or rigged ones, we would be considered to be privileged to have our voting system.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I think we are pretty damned privileged compared to some.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kgcayenne wrote:I think we are pretty damned privileged compared to some.

That's right.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”