Driving: A Privilege Or Right?

Home of the traffic rant.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Driving A Privilege Or Right ?

Post by KL3-Something »

TMixer wrote:As long as you have a license, it's your right to drive. Not too hard.

GordonH wrote:Throw this out their: Is getting a drivers license a right or privilege.

just wondering

You have the right to apply for one. Sort of falls under your right to freedom.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

GordonH wrote:
Throw this out their: Is getting a drivers license a right or privilege.

just wondering

Applying to obtain one = Right
Obtaining one = Privilege
Driving once one is obtained = Right

Rights can be revoked, though.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Throw this out their: Is getting a drivers license a right or privilege.

just wondering

TMixer wrote:Applying to obtain one = Right
Obtaining one = Privilege
Driving once one is obtained = Right

Rights can be revoked, though.

Then that makes our Constitution no worth the paper it written on.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Driving: A Privilege Or Right?

Post by Glacier »

Rights cannot be revoked without re-writing the Constitution. The one exception, I suppose, would be if we agreed to voluntarily giving up a right en masse. eg. free speech.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

GordonH wrote:Then that makes our Constitution no worth the paper it written on.

Really? So, for example, criminals not being allowed to own firearms in the US goes against their constitution?
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

This is out of the US but it is common law

The Right to Travel v. Driving is a Privilege

The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
PSBC

Post by PSBC »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4u1X5yu444

I prefer this one... ICBC and the right to travel.
It's your right to travel within the country, if you wish to use a license to make money then you are acting in commerce and that no longer falls under your right to travel.

Once you obtain your license unless you hit someone or cause damage to property no one should be allowed to take your license. Victimless crimes like speeding carry too heavy a penalty nowadays. But it's all in the name of money, er I mean safety.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

PSBC wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4u1X5yu444

I prefer this one... ICBC and the right to travel.
It's your right to travel within the country, if you wish to use a license to make money then you are acting in commerce and that no longer falls under your right to travel.

Once you obtain your license unless you hit someone or cause damage to property no one should be allowed to take your license. Victimless crimes like speeding carry too heavy a penalty nowadays. But it's all in the name of money, er I mean safety.

I have been following this guys vids for awhile now, he really knows how the system works and knows what he is doing, i fully support him.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

PSBC wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4u1X5yu444

I like how some people think they can come up with their own laws. "Common law" and other pseudo-legal babble is truly laughable. Trailer park prophets of freedom.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

The Freeman movement is interesting, though I do believe it's doomed to failure. I remember a guy getting absolutely raked over the coals by the government for not paying income tax by claiming it was unconstitutional.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Driving is a privilege, but sadly too many of the morons driving around think it's a right.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Glacier wrote:A Right is given by law, and a Privilege has to be earned.

Driving is a Privilege. Practicing medicine is a Privilege. Posting on Castanet is a Privilege. Voting is a Right.

Gotta go with Glacier on this one.

Now it's just well past time for some changes to the system, that will remove the right to drive from those whose ability is in question.

For far too long, the system as it now stands, has been sucking up to those who have clearly lost the ability to drive safely, mostly because taking them to task is a political hot potato.

I'm sure the relatives of these two people who got killed, would agree that it's well past time to remove a lot of these types from our roads............ http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/103725/ ... edestrians

I find this one a particularly good example, because even though the 90yr old driver left the scene of the accident, my guess being because he was likely completely clued out to the fact that he'd just run over something, there's already mention made that he's a victim too.

Sorry but the victims here are the dead people, not the incompetent senior who continues to drive because in his mind, it is indeed a right to do so. I don't give a tinkers damn that he was a veteran. The fact that he saved some lives, or helped to, six or seven decades back, doesn't give him a free pass to kill people now.

underscore wrote:Driving is a privilege, but sadly too many of the morons driving around think it's a right.

Along with quite a few that one wouldn't necessarily view as morons, just unjustifiably entitled.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/103725/Elderly-man-kills-two-pedestrians

I find this one a particularly good example, because even though the 90yr old driver left the scene of the accident, my guess being because he was likely completely clued out to the fact that he'd just run over something, there's already mention made that he's a victim too.

Sorry but the victims here are the dead people, not the incompetent senior who continues to drive because in his mind, it is indeed a right to do so. I don't give a tinkers damn that he was a veteran. The fact that he saved some lives, or helped to, six or seven decades back, doesn't give him a free pass to kill people now.

What's absolutely amazing about this accident is that the pedestrians were on the sidewalk. They would have been standing right next to a traffic-lamp / pedestrian crossing standard. The driver somehow managed to hit them without hitting the standard, stop, back up, pull back onto the road, and drive two blocks to get home. I have zero doubt in my mind that he knew very well what he had done.

Driving is a privilege, and that particular driver needs to lose his privilege to drive.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”