Broke Down 2.0

Home of the traffic rant.
Verminator
Board Meister

Re: Broke Down 2.0

Post by Verminator »

Alvis wrote:
Perhaps the clouds of smoke should have been an indication to stop and not push it another 300km?
I had a frost plug blow out the side of my old Dodge pu many years ago. I limped itback to the gas station and left it there over night until I could get it home. Luckily I was only 5 km from home and it was Novembr. The idea of adding 3 gallons of coolant after seeing clouds of smoke billowing out of your engine and pushing it another 300km is beyond foolish. I have o sympathy for people like. I make no apologies.

Just like the doofus I saw many years ago in Vernon, with a semi new (at the time) Ford Tempo, with thick, acrid clouds of clutch smoke and burning up engine screeching through the intersection at Vernon Square. They were revving the hell out of the car, slipping the clutch because they'd run the poor car out of oil and didn't get the hint the engine was seizing up. It was unbelievable. The poor Ford Tempo was maybe 2-3 years old by the time they got it of the road, the engine and clutch was burnt to a crisp. I know, I stopped to help but really it was morbid curiosity.

The guy with the white Firebird who had pools of ATF under his car asking if it was OK to drive? Sure, see how far a hydraulically operated transmission gets you without oil. He did a lot of coke as you can imagine a guy with a white 77 Trans Am would.

The guy with a puke yellow Mercury Comet who lost his muffler and used Duct Tape! To put it back on and couldn't understand where all the smoke and flames came from.

I won't even get into the backyard mehanics who bust up perfectly good parts becasue they are too ignorant to look in a book or use proper tools. A screw driver is not a chisel and you shouldn't be using a hammer and chisel on an aluminium surface anyways.

:rate10: You said it. People's stupidity knows no bounds, Google 'stupid car crashes' and you'll see what I mean. It reminds me of another incident on the Yellowhead near Hinton about 20 years ago.

It was early May and there was a sudden white-out, not uncommon for that time of year. We couldn't see five feet in front of the car so I pulled onto the shoulder and slowed to a crawl, hoping to find a safe place to wait out the storm. Just then a car with a loaded roof-top carrier blew past us like it was a clear summer day, throwing up an immense cloud of snow so thick it was like someone suddenly sprayed our windshield with white paint. It seemed like forever, but we eventually pulled in to a truck stop in Valemount and after an hour or so the storm was pretty much over. By the time we got going again the sun was out and you'd never know it had even happened. As we got close to Hinton we saw flashing lights ahead, there were two ambulances and a police car attending a roll-over crash. Pieces of the car and personal belongings were scattered all over the place and you guessed it, it was the same vehicle that passed us earlier.

I heard on the radio later that one or two people were killed and all the survivors seriously injured, including a couple of kids. I don't know if the driver survived, but I sure as hell couldn't live with myself if my stupidity was responsible for something like that.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Verminator, I know what you mean.
I've lost count of the many wrecks I've seen on the highweays in winter due to stupidity. Do they ever think "Maybe the guy in front is going slow becasue the roads are in bad shape?"
Speed limits too. What does that mean? How many times do you hear "They aren't even doing the speed limit?" Speed limit is the fastest you can legally go, on a piece of raod, in ideal conditions. It is not a speed minimum.

I digress. Back to mechanically incompetent people. I have a friend with two decades of experience as a dealer mechanic. Oneof his most common stories is of people running out of gas bcasue the car didn't warn them they were low. Apparently the gas gauge is supposed to come out of the dash, slap you and demand you pull over with a gun to your head. Yes it is that bad for some people.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

If it's mechanical incompetence we're talking about, here's an example I still have a hard time believing. I had a co-worker a few years ago - female, of course - who drove a clapped-out old Oldsmobile to work.

One day she asked me to carry something heavy to her car for her. I asked her for the key but she said I wouldn't need it, all I had to do was un-wire the passenger-side door. Yes, it was held closed with a wire coat hanger. When I opened the door, there was a piece of plywood covering a big hole in the floorboard. When she started the thing, it burped out a cloud of oil smoke so thick you could see it from 2 blocks away.

Her husband, the one who 'fixed' her car, was a mechanic.... :ohmygod:
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Verminator wrote:If it's mechanical incompetence we're talking about, here's an example I still have a hard time believing. I had a co-worker a few years ago - female, of course - who drove a clapped-out old Oldsmobile to work.

One day she asked me to carry something heavy to her car for her. I asked her for the key but she said I wouldn't need it, all I had to do was un-wire the passenger-side door. Yes, it was held closed with a wire coat hanger. When I opened the door, there was a piece of plywood covering a big hole in the floorboard. When she started the thing, it burped out a cloud of oil smoke so thick you could see it from 2 blocks away.

Her husband, the one who 'fixed' her car, was a mechanic.... :ohmygod:

Is this a Halloween story becasue it sure sscares the poop out of me.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

^^ True story... :runforlife:
George Carlin
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

The curse of the 6l lives on.
The Beast got a free(AMA free) ride on the back of a tow truck this morning.
Spent the last two snowy(1.5'), cold(-10ish) days trying to get'er going,...no luck.
Back to the Ford Dr.
:spinball: :spinball:
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Fixer 166 wrote:The curse of the 6l lives on.
Spent the last two snowy(1.5'), cold(-10ish) days trying to get'er going,...no luck.
Back to the Ford Dr.

Time for a trade in Bud .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

I's tinkin the same way by.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Fixer 166 wrote:I's tinkin the same way by.

Ya sadly that 6 isn't worth plowing to much money into it .

New 6.7 or Duramax or Cummy next ? I like the Cummins , just dont like whats around it :dyinglaughing:
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

We'll see, gotta get the beast runnin first.
Drove home the udder day, no prob, 6hr tour.
Go to start it couple days after and nada. She trys, sputters, spits out some black smoke but wont catch.
Hopefully its something dumb.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Funny how shit always likes to break down in the winter .
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thread title should be Broke down 6.0 :dyinglaughing:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Bsuds wrote:Thread title should be Broke down 6.0 :dyinglaughing:

:coffeecanuck: Ahahahaha, good one.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

F'N FICM
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Fixer 166 wrote:The curse of the 6l lives on.
Back to the Ford Dr.

Operator error, judging by your previous post.
Tommy Douglas

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”