Do your pedals confuse you?

Home of the traffic rant.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Do your pedals confuse you?

Post by dodgerdodge »

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... s-to-crash

I mean for gods sake how many more people are gonna do this? It seems to be so common that people just accept it happens.
WHY??? When was the last time you confused your pedals? If it was an automatic which i assume it was there are only 2 bloody pedals, STOP and GO! How difficult is that?
Furthermore it is a modern car so you would have to keep foot on brake to move trans from park to drive before it would go anywhere. Did we get the full story? Probably not.
What about the recent head on when a women drove a car across the centre into oncoming traffic near Grizzly Rd? How did that happen? Faulty vehicle? Texting? Applying make up? Will we hear the full story?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Do your pedals confuse you?

Post by Fancy »

Sometimes people regress - and yes, it does happen.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Last edited by Frisk on Nov 23rd, 2020, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I won't walk on the sidewalk in front of a car until I know it is either turned off, or backing up. Call me paranoid, but I worked in a building that was hit THREE TIMES by oh-so-confused folks.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

:skyisfalling:
Last edited by French Castanut on Nov 21st, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I drive standard so it takes some effort to drive through a store window.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jennylives wrote:I drive standard so it takes some effort to drive through a store window.

Try it, I think you will find it's not that difficult! :127:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Will do!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Its easy when your probably a senior with slow and poor reflexes or are confused on some sort of medication. 9 times out of ten or ten times out of 10 thats who and why. And then its just an oops lol and they are back driving again. How about ICBC examines them after such incidents to determine if they are safe to be on the road!
keeny
Fledgling

Post by keeny »

No, my pedals cause no confusion, but that may be because getting your license nowadays requires a lot of knowledge, instead of just walking into a gas station at 16 and buying one. I know not all seniors are rolling death but I've been in more near accidents with clueless old people than reckless young people.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

fall wrote: 9 times out of ten or ten times out of 10 thats who and why.

You got some stats to back those numbers up?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

sorry no stats just my own from all the times I have seen or read about this happening. I skimmed the article and didnt see that it mentioned the driver as being a senior but would you bet me that it wasnt lol.
watchkat
Übergod

Post by watchkat »

My personal knowledge of several seniors is that their entire life after getting their license, they drive with left on the brake and right on the gas. Since road tests are not done when renewing licenses for the most part, this habit is not discovered until their reaction times change and coordination diminishes. Panic and the wrong foot reacts first.

A good friend is now without his license after a stroke and having to be relicensed after rehabilitation. Seems he was a two foot driver and was informed that he could not be licensed as long as he used both feet on the peddles in that manor. He practiced but old habit die hard and when reaction was required he fell back into old habit with the instructor in the car. Result: No longer licensed. He says his whole family drives that way and always have. (I think it was an eastern Canada thing,LOL)
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

fall wrote:Its easy when your probably a senior with slow and poor reflexes or are confused on some sort of medication. 9 times out of ten or ten times out of 10 thats who and why. And then its just an oops lol and they are back driving again. How about ICBC examines them after such incidents to determine if they are safe to be on the road!

It doesn't matter if you mix your meds therefore mixing up your pedals. Even though this person's driving was impaired by something, there will be no charge or loss of license for it. BUT if this same person was driving fine and blew .06 at a checkstop then crap would hit the fan. This is again why they need a roadside test involving reflexes, vision, etc. for impairment of ALL sorts to get IMPAIRED drivers off the road.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:
fall wrote: 9 times out of ten or ten times out of 10 thats who and why.

You got some stats to back those numbers up?

Pages 29 & 30 show percentage of accidents and number of accidents by age groups. Seniors aren't at the top of either list.
http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safety- ... s-2007.pdf
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”