Cyclists need to learn the law

Home of the traffic rant.
Rancor

Cyclists need to learn the law

Post by Rancor »

Cyclists in Kelowna are idiots. It seems that people in this city don't know basic traffic laws or bicycle safety. This stuff used to be taught to children in grade one, but even if they don't do that anymore there is no excuse for not knowing basic traffic laws, if you are going to be operating vehicles or bicycles in public IT'S YOUR OBLIGATION TO KNOW THE LAW. Cyclists are frequently riding on the sidewalk which is illegal and a safety hazard for pedestrians. So many people in this city are either too stupid to bother finding out the law or they are so arrogant they think the laws don't apply to them. Castanet should do some kind of public awareness story about this matter. Even in the winter this is a problem, just a few days ago some moron was hit on Harvey Ave. because they were riding on the wrong side of the road. Just yesterday my friend nearly hit three diffent people on the way to the store because they were riding on the wrong side of the road at night with no helmets, lights or reflectors. Stupid people like that deserve to get run over. As a regular pedestrian I'm sick and tired of fools risking my safety because they are cowards who won't ride in the bike lane like they are supposed to. If you're too cowardly to ride on the road where you belong then you have no business riding a bike in public at all.
Here is a part of the law regarding cyclists:

City of Kelowna Consolidated Traffic Bylaw No. 8120
Part 9 –Cycle Regulations August 26, 2002 9-1
PART 9 – CYCLE REGULATIONS
9.1 Highways and Sidewalks
9.1.1 Highways and sidewalks. No person shall use in-line skates, roller skates, cycles,
skateboards, sleighs, skates, skis or other similar means of conveyance on a highway
or sidewalk except as otherwise permitted in this Bylaw.
9.1.2 Cyclist duties. A person operating a cycle:
(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless otherwise directed by a traffic control
device, unless that person is under the age of 12 years and is operating a nonchain
driven 3 or 4 wheeled cycle which is designed for recreational use,
(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless
otherwise directed by a traffic control device,
(c) must, ride as near as practical to the right side of a highway, within a bicycle
path if available,
(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the highway,
(e) must keep at least one hand on the handlebars,
(f) must not ride other than on or astride a regular seat of the cycle, and
(g) must not use the cycle to carry more persons at one time than the number for
which it is designed and equipped.
Nothing in this section requires a person to ride a cycle on any part of a highway that
is not paved.

9.1.3 Cycle equipment. No person shall operate a cycle on a highway between ½ hour
after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise unless it has the following equipment:
(a) a lighted lamp mounted on the front and under normal atmospheric conditions
capable of displaying a white light visible at least 150 metres in the direction
the cycle is pointed;
(b) a red reflector of a make or design approved by the Superintendent of Motor
Vehicles under the Motor Vehicle Act; and
(c) a lighted lamp, mounted and visible to the rear, displaying a red light.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: Cyclists need to learn the law

Post by Mtn Biker »

Rancor wrote:Cyclists in Kelowna are idiots. It seems that people in this city don't know basic traffic laws or bicycle safety. This stuff used to be taught to children in grade one, but even if they don't do that anymore there is no excuse for not knowing basic traffic laws, if you are going to be operating vehicles or bicycles in public IT'S YOUR OBLIGATION TO KNOW THE LAW. Cyclists are frequently riding on the sidewalk which is illegal and a safety hazard for pedestrians. So many people in this city are either too stupid to bother finding out the law or they are so arrogant they think the laws don't apply to them. Castanet should do some kind of public awareness story about this matter. Even in the winter this is a problem, just a few days ago some *bleep* was hit on Harvey Ave. because they were riding on the wrong side of the road. Just yesterday my friend nearly hit three diffent people on the way to the store because they were riding on the wrong side of the road at night with no helmets, lights or reflectors. Stupid people like that deserve to get run over. As a regular pedestrian I'm sick and tired of fools risking my safety because they are cowards who won't ride in the bike lane like they are supposed to. If you're too cowardly to ride on the road where you belong then you have no business riding a bike in public at all.
Here is a part of the law regarding cyclists:

City of Kelowna Consolidated Traffic Bylaw No. 8120
Part 9 –Cycle Regulations August 26, 2002 9-1
PART 9 – CYCLE REGULATIONS
9.1 Highways and Sidewalks
9.1.1 Highways and sidewalks. No person shall use in-line skates, roller skates, cycles,
skateboards, sleighs, skates, skis or other similar means of conveyance on a highway
or sidewalk except as otherwise permitted in this Bylaw.
9.1.2 Cyclist duties. A person operating a cycle:
(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless otherwise directed by a traffic control
device, unless that person is under the age of 12 years and is operating a nonchain
driven 3 or 4 wheeled cycle which is designed for recreational use,
(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless
otherwise directed by a traffic control device,
(c) must, ride as near as practical to the right side of a highway, within a bicycle
path if available,
(d) must not ride abreast of another person operating a cycle on the highway,
(e) must keep at least one hand on the handlebars,
(f) must not ride other than on or astride a regular seat of the cycle, and
(g) must not use the cycle to carry more persons at one time than the number for
which it is designed and equipped.
Nothing in this section requires a person to ride a cycle on any part of a highway that
is not paved.

9.1.3 Cycle equipment. No person shall operate a cycle on a highway between ½ hour
after sunset and ½ hour before sunrise unless it has the following equipment:
(a) a lighted lamp mounted on the front and under normal atmospheric conditions
capable of displaying a white light visible at least 150 metres in the direction
the cycle is pointed;
(b) a red reflector of a make or design approved by the Superintendent of Motor
Vehicles under the Motor Vehicle Act; and
(c) a lighted lamp, mounted and visible to the rear, displaying a red light.

What . . . you're just knew to this debate. One, I cycle but I am no idiot and find your comments offensive. Please be reasonable and identify the type of riders you're referring too because your generalized statement is, again, offensive.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rancor wrote:If you're too cowardly to ride on the road where you belong then you have no business riding a bike in public at all.

Cowardly? Seriously? I used to ride my bike to work, and I can tell you that there is one block where it is so dangerous that not riding on the sidewalk is a suicide wish. A blind corner with speeding motorists is not a risk I'm willing to take when there is no bike lane. Mind you, I did putt along at pedestrian speed when on the sidewalk.

Laws exist for a reason, but the grey matter between your ears exists for a reason too. If a rule is simply too dangerous to follow, no one in their right mind is going to adhere to that law if they have loved ones at home.
Last edited by Glacier on Dec 21st, 2012, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Pacific
Fledgling

Post by Pacific »

I don't ride a bike myself but I'd say the real biggest hazards on Kelowna roads are the hyper aggressive drivers in the jacked up trucks everywhere. I've seen dudes in giant trucks cause or almost cause accidents twice as much as bikers. It's almost like talking on your cell phone while driving, riding bumpers and cutting people off is a requirement to own one of those things.
Last edited by Pacific on Apr 16th, 2013, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Bicycles are crude and rude conveyances meant for third world nations. They have no place in a modern society that runs on oil. Ban them all. My two-wheeler has a proper engine. There is nothing like the feel . . . the torque and thrust of two throbbing Italian pistons pushing you halfway to hell . . .
All posts 100% moderator approved!
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Pacific wrote:I don't ride a bike myself but I'd say the real biggest hazards on Kelowna roads are the hyper aggressive drivers in the jacked up trucks everywhere. I've seen dudes in giant redneckmobiles cause or almost cause accidents twice as much as bikers. It's almost like talking on your cell phone while driving, riding bumpers and cutting people off is a requirement to own one of those things.

Absolutely you're bang on. I think the higher the lift, the lower the IQ and the more entitled. I wonder if the OP knows that when Kelowna crews plow the snow from the roads they push it into the bike lane making it impossible to ride through. What would the OP suggest to do if they were actually get their leg over a bike seat? Might have a different opinion I say. Or not so much.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

crookedmember wrote:Bicycles are crude and rude conveyances meant for third world nations. They have no place in a modern society that runs on oil. Ban them all. My two-wheeler has a proper engine. There is nothing like the feel . . . the torque and thrust of two throbbing Italian pistons pushing you halfway to hell . . .

Or to ecstasy? I like the torque of my legs and lungs, that's enough for me.
1life2live

Post by 1life2live »

Rancor, If I follow your previous train of thought on a previous thread then you must agree that if you are not prepared to deal with the threat of personal injury then you should find a different means of travel. Correct? :nutzoid:
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Section 33 Subsection 12 Paragraph (b)
No person within the province of British Columbia, while riding a bicycle, needs to obey any traffic laws as long as they have Spandex pants and a pointy helmet.

No enforcement = No laws.

Until the RCMP starts to write tickets for bikies like they do for drivers, there will never be a solution to the arrogant disregard for anyone but "ME"!
1life2live

Post by 1life2live »

There we go, problem solved, way to go.
T. Rawlin
Fledgling

Post by T. Rawlin »

twofingers wrote:Until the RCMP starts to write tickets for bikies like they do for drivers, there will never be a solution to the arrogant disregard for anyone but "ME"!

Tickets for cyclists? I'm still waiting them to start issuing tickets to motorists. Not a day goes by that I don't see multiple incidents of cars running lights, cutting people off, driving dangerously by weaving in and out of traffic, turning without signaling, etc.

When a cyclist screws up on a roadway, they are usually the only ones who suffer. When a motorist screws up, other people face injury or death. Are you bright enough to see the difference there?
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Love the big raised truck comment SO TRUE!!!! :hailjo:
keeny
Fledgling

Post by keeny »

Pacific wrote:I don't ride a bike myself but I'd say the real biggest hazards on Kelowna roads are the hyper aggressive drivers in the jacked up trucks everywhere. I've seen dudes in giant redneckmobiles cause or almost cause accidents twice as much as bikers. It's almost like talking on your cell phone while driving, riding bumpers and cutting people off is a requirement to own one of those things.

Too true. These over-compensating-for-something clowns in their trucks need to stay in Alberta where they come from, or learn to drive like adults instead of *bleep* off teenagers.

But, cyclists (the dumb ones) need to get their *bleep* together and realize they have obligations as well...
HanSolo
Board Meister

Post by HanSolo »

My sister was injured by a cyclist while walking to work in downtown Kelowna a few weeks ago. The cyclist was pedaling on the sidewalk and struck head to head with my sister as she came around a building corner. She was knocked clear into the street and had to be taken to the hospital with concussion symptoms, blindness in one eye, and vomiting. The RCMP did attend to the scene and questioned the cyclist, however as I understand it they did not get her name or even ticket her (we asked later and they said they didn't have her info.) Meanwhile, my sister has been off work recovering from her injuries.

I don't think cyclists, skateboarders or rollerbladers riding on pedestrian-only sidewalks are taken very seriously here. I suppose it will take a more serious injury or death to change this.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever.
- George Orwell -
joer2012
Fledgling

Post by joer2012 »

Darwinism, pure and simple.

BUT - who cares?

Some cyclists are dumb, as are some seniors, some youth, some random people from a group you don't particularly like

Yes some guys pimp and lift their trucks, and some are stupider than a stupid stick. Big deal. So what.

But who cares? Your grandiose opinions are boring. Right now you should be grateful, not hateful, because all these "stupid" people put you, dear forum poster, at about the 35th percentile on the stupid rating.

Without all these dumb people, you'd be in the top 10th percentile of dumb people.

So please be grateful and appreciative of all the jackasses out there.

T'is the season to show appreciation.

Maybe stop being all uppity and take a good long look at yourself, and assess all the stupid things YOU do and just cease doing those things in 2013.

Thank you in advance for being less stupid in the future.
AB oil patch worker
Sunshine Tax Rebate recipient

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”