Cyclists need to learn the law

Home of the traffic rant.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Cyclists need to learn the law

Post by Gixxer »

Wow who knew there's so many rules and laws for riding a bicycle. Almost sad and pathetic.

#1stworld problems
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Safe and hassle free cycling can easily be achieved by sticking to the stationary cycle (often mistaken for a chothes horse).
It's al long ride to Saskatchewan; perhaps you should get started....
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

twofingers wrote:Section 33 Subsection 12 Paragraph (b)
No person within the province of British Columbia, while riding a bicycle, needs to obey any traffic laws as long as they have Spandex pants and a pointy helmet.

No enforcement = No laws.

Until the RCMP starts to write tickets for bikies like they do for drivers, there will never be a solution to the arrogant disregard for anyone but "ME"!

That's a good one.

My only thought is, decide when you ride, are you a pedestrian or a vehicle operator. If you are either, follow those rules. I've nearly killed several cyclists as they come off a sidewalk into traffic.

Wasn't Spandex designed to display not support???

I can't read your mind! Thats' why we have signal lights on vehicle also, so please use them.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Rancor wrote: As a regular pedestrian I'm sick and tired of fools risking my safety because they are cowards who won't ride in the bike lane like they are supposed to. If you're too cowardly to ride on the road where you belong then you have no business riding a bike in public at all.

Well, let me tell you, there are a whole bunch of people that aren't willing to risk serious injury by riding in a bicycle lane designed for sure death here in Kelowna!
If Kelowna had normal drivers, there might be a fraction of a chance that you'd get a couple more people riding in the designated bicycle lanes, but hey, this is Kelowna, which is full of nutcase drivers who probably could care less about bikers riding on the road.
You couldn't pay me to ride the bike lanes here in Kelowna, as I don't have a death wish!

Laws or no laws, common sense and safety are first!
Stupid is as stupid does.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

Here's my beef with cyclists... I live in condo with a nice long uphill driveway leading up to the sidewalk, and of course on the other side of that sidewaik, the road. Every morning I drive up to the sidewalk and road looking for people driving and/or riding on the correct side of the road, and at least once a week I find somebody riding their bike not only down the wrong side of the road, but riding down the wrong side of the road ON THE SIDEWALK... one of these days somebody's going to hit one of these cyclists who can't figure out traffic laws and it will be the cyclists own G.D. fault.

If I choose to drive a car, I am asked to follow the rules that appy to cars... why should that be different if I choose to ride a bicycle... LEARN THE RULES IF YOU WANT TO RIDE A BICYCLE! ... or get run over... it's really your choice!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

he torque and thrust of two throbbing Italian pistons pushing you halfway to hell . . .

you are talking about a motorcycle ?sounds like a threesome.sorry you can't reconnect with your inner child and feel the simple pleasure of bike riding.I think many have gotten lazy with rules both car and bike.roads are scary for bikes without bike lanes.The new section of benard is a sharrow and cars must share the whole road.Lets face it bikes are much smaller than cars.when they collide we all know who gets hurt.cars need to watch .most cyclists i see are respectful and follow the rules.there is a new breed of liberated cyclists though.they defy all laws,they feel that they are above it.there disrespect for steel cages runs deep.they are the outlaw bikers of the cycle world and they are giving cycling a bad name.It is a growing element that should be addressed within the cycle community.and i hate seeing bikes on sidewalks more must be done to educate and better bike lanes created .Hwy 33 is a nightmare.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

We need a place where these "rebels without a brake cog"can go.a facility that would teach people safe riding and drivng practices .that would educate them about modern things like sharrows .That would have fun exciting things for youth to do to keep them in this town.We built the Prosperra place too small any way.
Peace be with you.
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

Rancor wrote:Cyclists in Kelowna are idiots.

Idiots in Kelowna are idiots. You can't make sweeping generalisations based on your singlular observations, well you can but it would not be very accurate. Those idiot cyclists are probably as idiotic in most things that they do. They don't stop being idiots when they get off a bike in the same way that normal, sensible people don't start being idiots when they get on one.

As a cyclist (and driver) it is monumentally annoying for people to highlight cyclists for abuse when the same applies to road users across the board. I'm not sure what it is that people find so annoying about cyclists other than the fact that it's simply a group you do not belong to. If you had started your post 'Some road users are real idiots' then yes, you would have a point. Stating 'Cyclists in Kelowna are Idiots' ensures that you lack credibility and are fundamentally incorrect.

I trust you do not do the same to other races, religious groups, the opposite sex?
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

Lerfy wrote:If I choose to drive a car, I am asked to follow the rules that appy to cars... why should that be different if I choose to ride a bicycle... LEARN THE RULES IF YOU WANT TO RIDE A BICYCLE! ... or get run over... it's really your choice!

Why do you think it is different? Why do you have the impression that car drivers have rules and follow them and that cyclists don't. I think the number of car accidents and sheer volume of people receiving violation tickets would seem to indicate that car drivers are about as observant of rules as cyclists.

Plus there is the fact that, unless you observe every road rule, have never received a speeding or parking ticket, have never once gone over the speed limit then you are being quite hypocritical.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I tip my hat to anyone brave enough to cycle on the streets of Kelowna or the Westside. I've tried it and I feel safer hurtling down a mountain side. At least in the forest, I know what the dangers are and I can control my exposure to them whereas riding these city streets you feel like a target. Cyclists have as much right to the road as any motor vehicle so give them a few extra inches so they can get home safe to their families as well.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Ride like you are invisible, dont proceed when encountering cross traffic, until you make eye contact, or the pass.. Keeps me upright. There are laws for cars too that dont always get followed nor enforced.
Am surprised about the riding abreast law, surely it means highway or some roads but not all situations. Just today I saw a bikes single file sign, suggesting that it may not always be the case..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Panzer130
Board Meister

Post by Panzer130 »

Who ever decided bicycles should ride the same direction as traffic.... and why. It makes little sense to me. I want to see the traffic coming at me, not guessing what's going on behind me.

Just curious.....
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

I can tell you one thing, I have been riding my bike my whole life, and I frankly am not concered with the law, I am concerned with keeping my life. I also taught my wifes son the same simple rules.

I will ride on the sidewalk, always, when traffic is busy, which pretty much is anywhere in Kelowna. I refuse to put myself in the line of traffic with a car that weight 50 more times than I do

I do not ride with the flow of traffic, as other posters have said, I choose to see whats coming , so i can get out of the way if needed. Yes i do ride against the flow of traffic.

What i do follow.....

I do flollow all traffic signs, stop signs, yield signs, traffic lights. etc...
I do wear a helmut
I am considerate to pedestrian traffic on sidewalk. ( I will get off my bike and walk it if it is extremley busy)

The only thing the city does to promote biking, is building green strips. No thanks not good enough. Here in westbank, they do absolutley next to nothing.

If you had more options like Abbott street, i would for surely stay off your sidewalks. Otherwise, no thanks. I'll keep "Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law" haha
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Nothing bad about staying alive and uninjured..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

If you had more options like Abbott street, i would for surely stay off your sidewalks. Otherwise, no thanks. I'll keep "Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law" haha

I think the momentum factor is so big. bikes do not like to stop ,they roll the dice at the stop signs lot and sometimes they lose.I agree abbott rocks.and sometimes it is just smarter,in a bad bike lane town to be(warning really good metal music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU
Peace be with you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”