Cyclists need to learn the law

Home of the traffic rant.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Cyclists need to learn the law

Post by 36Drew »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Try Clement north side between Cerise and Gordon..

I was just down there, heading westbound on Clement. There are no signs between Cerise and Gordon on the north side of Clement indicating that cycling is permitted on the sidewalk. There is a sign at the crosswalk at Clifton indicating that the bike route is on the south side of Clement.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I will look again I think it is just east of Cerise. There is one in Glenmore, just north of Pertocan that says bikelane ends and to use the path/sidewalk on thr west side.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I will look again I think it is just east of Cerise. There is one in Glenmore, just north of Pertocan that says bikelane ends and to use the path/sidewalk on thr west side.

There is a sign at the west end of the clement bypass, on the south side of Clement, that marks the shared path. The path, however, is not a sidewalk as defined by the MVA.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I keep forgetting to look for the sign, till I am past there.
Here is my take on the "law"
We have sidewalks, we have shared paths. Now we have sidewalks that are wider than these shared paths, I think it would be interesting to take a ticket to court and point this out.
, We played nice, we attended the meetings. When the proposed models for Bernard were shown to the public, they had considered bike lanes,and in comments were were allowed to leave we brought it to their attention. I clearly stated that we could do this like most modern European cities, but they seemed to ignore it.
Worth fighting for IMO
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I was thinking about that sign, I think I know what happened..when the multi use path was finished on the south side of Clement the sign came down. There is however no sign on High or Clifton, advising cyclists to cross the road at the light..

I did notice something today in Glenmore, and that is in more than one location, there is a multi use path, almost beside the bicycle lane.. Yet people insist that cyclist dont belong on sidewalks.......hmmmmmm...
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Posts removed.

1. Don't use word censor workarounds. Your post will be deleted if you do.

2. Don't make personal attacks against other members.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Share the road. I'd be wiling to bet there are porportionally more bad drivers than there are cyclists.

Finger pointing aside: how hard is it to move over a bit as you pass a cyclist? And for a cyclist, stay as far right as you safely can and make it easier for traffic to give you room.

Saw an arguement about made that drivers pay for road taxes, cyclists don't. To counter I would say 99% of those cyclists have a car sitting at home that is paying its share of road taxes but is not inflicting the same wear and tear on the roads. So look at as the cycling commuter is subsidizing road taxes.

I just want the snow to melt so I can ride my bike!!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Yet people insist that cyclist dont belong on sidewalks.......hmmmmmm...

Generally speaking, they don't. Where they do belong, however, is on dedicated cycle paths. Said paths should, IMO, be separated from traffic and can most certainly co-exist with pedestrian sidewalks. Something akin to what is viewable in this google street-view:

http://goo.gl/maps/jIqWj
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

that is one sweet path :smt023 :smt023
Peace be with you.
Kaezy

Post by Kaezy »

As soon as the people of kelowna learn to drive, I will feel safe enough to bike on the road
But knowing the idiots that are handed driver licenses it is far too unsafe to bike on the street
Sorry, but the incredibly minor inconvenience someone may feel having to pass by a person biking on the sidewalk is not worth my life tyvm

:dyinglaughing:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

That is definitely ideal. Great path - I used to ride that section regularly, as I lived there. I don't know how feasible it is to install similar paths along other busy streets though. (thinking of property ownership & space, mostly)
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”