How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Home of the traffic rant.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Post by kibbs »

we can make the bike lanes safer by simply banning bikes.

The only place in world where that is an occurrence is where ?You guessed it North Korea .
Bikes are the most internationally accepted forms of transportation.
Bikes Rock.Thanks for bringing awareness with your hate.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I recently Road from East Kelowna Rd.to Apple Valley auto wreckers to get a steering box for my van.I noticed the sand was still heavy all the way there on the bike lanes.I was forced to ride on the white line many times.Perhaps this is an area where volunteers bike clubs and bike licensing could come into play together.A lot could be done with a rented sweeper running 24 /7 for a weekend.
Peace be with you.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kibbs wrote:I recently Road from East Kelowna Rd.to Apple Valley auto wreckers to get a steering box for my van.I noticed the sand was still heavy all the way there on the bike lanes.I was forced to ride on the white line many times.Perhaps this is an area where volunteers bike clubs and bike licensing could come into play together.A lot could be done with a rented sweeper running 24 /7 for a weekend.

Judging by the amount of sand/debris on the road up that way, I'm pretty sure the city sweepers have yet to do their rounds in that area... Luckily, my bike activities don't require a bike lane. Hopefully it is cleared up soon for you, tho.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Judging by the amount of sand/debris on the road up that way, I'm pretty sure the city sweepers have yet to do their rounds in that area... Luckily, my bike activities don't require a bike lane. Hopefully it is cleared up soon for you, tho.

No doubt I'm just thinking this is one way cyclists can contribute to keeping bike lanes up and relieving the city of some of the work.i would really like to have license plates again for bikes ,to identify them , to raise funds and awareness.
I almost went back to motorcycling but sold my xs 400 and bought another vintage bike.I need the cardio and I'm gettin old, not as quick as i was when I was riding in my youth.Too many mid life crisis guys gettin killed wokin out their rusty abilities.
plate 2.jpg
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I just saw two huge signs go up on the East Kelowna rd Switchback but the road will need resurfacing again before they put on sharrow symbols. :nyah:
ya you in the hummer.jpg
Peace be with you.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

City definitely needs more bike trails/paths/corridors. Bike lanes on roads are terrifying and nobody wants to use them. It's a bit late for that now unfortunately.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

kibbs wrote:I'm just thinking this is one way cyclists can contribute to keeping bike lanes up and relieving the city of some of the work.

While it's admirable that you'd want to do this, I think it would open up some serious liability to said volunteers in today's litigation-happy world. I think your next point, however:

kibbs wrote:i would really like to have license plates again for bikes ,to identify them , to raise funds and awareness.

...is probably a good one. It would give weight to cyclists' wishes for better maintenance and improvements of cycle lanes. At the very least, it would put an end to this rather shallow mode of thought:

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=48441#p1403376
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Kibbs, it's great to see someone that wants to work to solve the problems instead of just sniveling and smart mouthing.
Black Dogs Matter
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Kibbs, it's great to see someone that wants to work to solve the problems instead of just sniveling and smart mouthing.

Thank you your appreciation is appreciated .I love change for the better There is no stopping me from trying.
Peace be with you.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

how can we improve bike lanes? how about starting with getting bike lines.

painted green stuff on the road, making your ride with cars is not a bike lane.

up hwy 33, black mountain. go check that out. that's a bike lane.

I would be even happy if it was dirt, as long as its off the road.

Bike to work week is such a farce. Promoting bike to work, with no place to ride your bike. funny,.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

There is so much that can done .I think some the things people say like "bikes shouldn't use the left hand turn lane "make me so aware of how unaware people are of the fact that a bike is a vehicle and must follow he rules and deserves the respect of any vehicle.The task at hand is education and awareness .Children must be taught well.
Car drivers must respect that if I'm climbing east kelowna rd. hill on my bike and you are behind me .you must slow down and go as slow behind me as I am peddling until it is safe for you to pass .Only when we get in peoples face and assert our right as a vehicle in places like the Ek Road and bernard sharrows will people see the need for separate bike paths.
Last edited by kibbs on Apr 24th, 2013, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I took my bike into ruland to shop and road down Hwy 33 and 97 .What a nightmare for bikes.
Where do you ride on hwy 33 ,the crooked paving stone ,the no bike lane road? the side walk and stones?
And making the left onto 97 ,across traffic,not an easy thing to do and live.
How about if cars don't park in the bike lane .these cars parked on not so bollywood south force you into traffic .Why are they always there?
Attachments
bike lane.jpg
Last edited by kibbs on May 30th, 2013, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

From that picture I don't see any bike lane markings. Maybe it's not a designated bike lane. If it is then they definitely shouldn't be there and I would call city By-Law.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

From that picture I don't see any bike lane markings. Maybe it's not a designated bike lane. If it is then they definitely shouldn't be there and I would call city By-Law.

Its a bike lane, you can almost see the symbol on the other side ,I think they are parked on top of the one on this side.It travels to and from the new mountain bike park.I say we save the city some work and see if a couple of days of public shaming works first.
Peace be with you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Parking tickets work better, hit em in the wallet!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”