How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Home of the traffic rant.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Post by kibbs »

At the last city council meeting ,two exchange students from our sister city in Holland spoke .They were asked if there was one obvious thing that could be done to improve Kelowna what would it be ? They responded that the only thing thing that was missing were better bike lanes .They were also surprised by all the school buses, because all the children ride a bike to school in Holland.Walter said that we had better than most in Canada and told them one third of their canals were full of old bicycles.
It would be good to get our kids to ride more in the warmer weather ,to help commuters get to and from work .But they have the right to do it safely.How can we improve bike transit in Kelowna and where do you think it needs it the most? :cursor:
Peace be with you.
NoComply
Board Meister

Re: How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Post by NoComply »

I like the bike trails in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Obviously a much larger city in terms of space, they've got a lot more! Well anyway, the trails go all through the city and you rarely have to ride along side cars and can get just about anywhere in the city with their connected trails. I think it's a mistake to have bike paths all over, a few good dedicated ones would allow bikers to get just about anywhere, faster and safer. So that might require tunnels and other stuff, but would be worth it.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I think a huge improvement would be educate the users!!

That is step one.

If they were used properly, possible the city could then be approached to have the streets and lanes swept so riders do not have to avoid debris by cutting in and out of the lanes.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Hollands roads have been designed for Bike usage since before cars. I have been there a couple of times and they are way more Bike friendly there. Too late here, we should have done this a long time ago. As well as not as many people here ride bikes compared to there.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Ken7 wrote:I think a huge improvement would be educate the users!!

That is step one.

If they were used properly, possible the city could then be approached to have the streets and lanes swept so riders do not have to avoid debris by cutting in and out of the lanes.

Exactly! Those who are responsible riders (have lights on bike, wear helmet, follow traffic laws, etc.) are far outweighed by the ones on bikess who are a danger to themselves and others.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Bsuds wrote:Hollands roads have been designed for Bike usage since before cars. I have been there a couple of times and they are way more Bike friendly there. Too late here, we should have done this a long time ago. As well as not as many people here ride bikes compared to there.

Too obvious but I will say it again that there would be more riders if it were safer. I know a lot of people who won't ride in the city because they fear for their lives but they will go to a country road to ride because they love it. Separate the cars from the cyclists is the only answer on busy roads.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

It's quite possibly too late to try to improve the bike lanes.
Personally, the biggest problem after lack of planning years ago, is driver attitude!
I am sure the drivers in Holland are far more respectful of human life compared to what we have here.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Yes, this is something that has not been planned very well up to now. That is no reason to not start the planning process and than maybe in some years down the road, commuting around town will be viable and safe.

I'm from Calgary originally and that city has a network that is rated as one of the best in North America and it started with one pathway and grew from that. We have bike lanes in place in Kelowna, we should be encouraging the city council and administrators to continue to expand them.

If our mayor really did respond to those students with comments such as was reported in the OP, he should be embarrassed. I read comments like those and the first image that springs to mind is some big 'ol boy sittting in his rocker on the porch spitting tobacco into a can.

Have to agree with Ultraviolets observation about driver attitudes.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

It seems to me that through licencing and fuel taxes vehicle operators have paid a huge amount to build and maintain roadways, Lets have the pedal bike crowd start to fund some of what they want.
Black Dogs Matter
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I like Vancouver style bike lanes where they go separately from car traffic through smaller streets. I could cycle all the way from Downtown town Vancouver to Surrey without rubbing shoulders with automobiles. Safe and fun.

Here you have to cycle on Enterprise or Springfield Rd. and it just doesn't seem safe to me - not to mention it's rather dirty and stinky.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

dogspoiler wrote:It seems to me that through licencing and fuel taxes vehicle operators have paid a huge amount to build and maintain roadways, Lets have the pedal bike crowd start to fund some of what they want.

Who funds the sidewalks? I don't see the city asking pedestrians for license fees. I gather those are funded by property taxes - the same property taxes that the pedal bike crowd would be paying.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Yes, and the pedal bike crowd is welcome to walk on them.
Black Dogs Matter
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Make people stop driving in them at intersections as though they were right turn lanes for vehicles. Egads I hate it when I'm waiting in the bike lane to go straight and some nimrod decides squeeze just barely between the curb and the cars in the ACTUAL vehicle lane and then get pissy with ME for being there and preventing their illegal right turn from a lane that isn't even theirs to beghin with.

&^%^%$^&^&^&$^&^*&^&$^#%$#*(_(*(%^& frikkin fraca braka grrrrrr

End rant.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Oh, and I'll gladly pay for a bicycle licence if it means the infrastructure will be in place and looked after, absolutely!
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
NoComply
Board Meister

Post by NoComply »

Cyclists in this city are morons, no offence, you gotta separate them from cars. I can't tell you how many times a cyclist swirved into my lane, rode their tire on the white line or even rode side by side in the bike lane. I haul a trailer with very little clearance on either side and they actually give you a dirty look or yell at you if you honk. It's like okay buddy, do what you just did in 2 seconds and you'll find out why I honked at you.

We could easily have bike paths that would allow access to the majority of the city without having to spend much time in car traffic.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”