How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Home of the traffic rant.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How can we improve the bike lanes in Kelowna

Post by 36Drew »

dogspoiler wrote:I would like to see how that works in practice in a busy area, little kids, seniors, roller bladers, and bikes on the same path. I have seen places where it did not work.

And you would discount the idea entirely because you've seen it not work in one or two places? There are plenty of places it does work. A few of them have been mentioned on this forum previously.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

They tried it on the path along the beach in Peachland and ended up having to get the bikes off of it and onto the road.
Black Dogs Matter
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Sounds like some on here are ignorant of the fact that many cyclists, also have motorvehicles insured, and are paying those costs wether they drive or cycle..

Except for Peace Officers, I take most information given by cyclists..with a plate of salt..

Is your pedal bike even licensed as it is supposed to be in Kelowna?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

cv23 wrote:Is your pedal bike even licensed as it is supposed to be in Kelowna?

Since when do bikes need a license?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Drewl, You are not capable of reading my posts so I will leave. The title of the thread asks how can we improve Bike Lanes ? my suggestion is that the users start paying for them. I couldn't care less if you like the idea or not.
Black Dogs Matter
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

They stopped using then in the eighties, I believe, went to paper tags, in 71 I think..I am talking about Kelowna in this post..
Unlike some on here, my avatar is a picture of me, not something else..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

dogspoiler wrote:They tried it on the path along the beach in Peachland and ended up having to get the bikes off of it and onto the road.

Yet there seems to be no problem with the shared-use path on the south side of Clement, on Abbott, or the one Gordon. I do see that those are designed quite differently from the beach-front pathway in Peachland.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

dogspoiler wrote:Drewl, You are not capable of reading my posts so I will leave. The title of the thread asks how can we improve Bike Lanes ? my suggestion is that the users start paying for them. I couldn't care less if you like the idea or not.

I am capable of reading your posts - I simply don't agree with your suggestion. The basis of your argument is fraught with misdirection and misinformation.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

I think Abbott St has the sidewalk, And the squiggly 2 lane bike path from Strathcona beach to about 60 metres south of Hwy 97.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:They stopped using then in the eighties, I believe, went to paper tags, in 71 I think..I am talking about Kelowna in this post..
Unlike some on here, my avatar is a picture of me, not something else..

I know that years ago, Vancouver also did require a bicycle license. I believe that stopped in the 70's... I'd like to say that I'm an avid cyclist - but I'm not. I used to ride everywhere years ago - now my cycling is limited to riding three blocks to the greenway, and then along said greenway. I do, however, see the value in building shared-use pathways as road and sidewalk improvement projects progress. It encourages the an activity which is healthy, pollution-free, and a viable mode of transportation for many. It also reduces the number of bikes on the roadway that potentially interfere with the flow of motor-vehicle traffic, reduces potential liability for accidents, and increases safety for a segment of our population.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I think Abbott St has the sidewalk, And the squiggly 2 lane bike path from Strathcona beach to about 60 metres south of Hwy 97.

...but it's still something that qualifies as a bike path - and I don't seem to recall any news reports of serious accidents involving cyclists on that bike path. :127:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

What I meant was that part is not shared pathway.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

50-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:What I meant was that part is not shared pathway.

Fair enough. It's still separated from traffic, though - n'est pas?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

1. Kelowna needs more bike paths.
2. Bike paths have to be separate from major flows of traffic - quiet residential streets that run parallel to traffic flow.
3. Paths crossing major streets have to be equipped with on-demand crossing signals to stop traffic
4. More bike parking
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

kelowna has the greenway . with little to no work needed that could be a vehicle free bike way . already is for some im sure ,
linking a few of the trails into the greenway and widening a few trails we could easily have a low impact somewhat flat sort of natural feeling bike hwy. already u could go from say mission sports fields to rutland without seeing a car .
the old trails of crawford could be worked on some to allow ppl from the mission to get on to the green way without having to cross paths with traffic .
as for how to get more bikes down town .. well this i am not sure.

look at edmonton with all the bike trails . u can ride for miles in the river valley and to a good portion of the south side of the city without seeing a car ..

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”